Saturday, August 22, 2026

Knock Knock....

 

Wanna come out and play?


More like, Wanna come out and see what I haven't eaten yet?


I'm sorry I've been so long gone again but, geesh, I'm just not keeping up these days.

For those who asked, yes, the new baby arrived safely but contrary to best laid plans. (DIL was past her due date so they scheduled her for a c-section but complications arose and she ended up having an emergency c-section prior to the scheduled date.)
Baby Myla Lynne arrived in style (during a tornado warning) but both mom and baby are doing well.
And, yes, Gigi duty went fine and dandy...but, yikes, was I tired LOL.

By now most of you know that each summer I generally do a post about the summer's flowers.

This is this year's.
Because I was too lazy to make it into a couple, separate, posts, be forewarned that there a LOT of photos.


{The cream separator came from our family's farm}

{The first hibiscus to bloom}


{White Admiral Butterfly on hydrangeas}




{One of my favorite places to be: on my bench on my back porch}

{The view from said bench....}




It has been a good year for the "volunteer" plants (ones that just seed themselves from prior years and manage to grow in the bricks of my patio.) Amazing given how extremely dry it has been.
{All of the plants under the tub are "volunteers"}


{Even a volunteer phlox!}



{Morning glories and echinacea}


These plain-Jane white petunias are actually "firefly petunias"... 

At night, without any props or lights, they become magically lit as though by little fireflies:
{Word to the wise: Do not put these somewhere where one has to navigate stairs in the dark in order to see their magic.  Just saying....}

{No flowers here...just a peek looking into the cornzebo with a little "light magic" of its own.}



{A very rare (for Nod - and Wisconsin generally) "stray" Spicebush Swallowtail butterfly playing amongst the echinacea.}

{Not flowers either, and not-so-rare, trash pandas on the bridge. Yes, I was tempted.}

{Sun setting on the tasseling corn after a night of cat yoga with Mia.
There are days life is so very sweet.}

Hope you all are keeping well.



19 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

ALL your plants are drop dead gorgeous! The firefly petunia is too cool. I saw them at the garden center but had no idea it could steal the show.
Congrats on the new grand ♥️

jabblog said...

What a beautiful garden you have, filled with gorgeous flowers, and more than enough to overwhelm a rabbit's appetite (as if!).
The firefly petunias sound very special.

Prims By The Water said...

Congratulations once again Gigi. Your flowers are all amazing. May have to copy some of your color planning for next year. That sunset is gorgeous and the baby raccoons are cute but destructive when they get older. Finally i have never heard of a firefly petunia but an amazing flower for sure. Will have to keep my eye out for that one too. Janice

Saundra said...

What a beautiful piece of heaven you have there. A Cranky Crow could never live there, she must be a Garden Fairie.

Dicky Bird said...

Robin, I just caught up on reading your blog. Congratulations on the new grand. Yes, they do tire one out! The smoke - unbelievable! It was terrible! Glad you were able to get up to the cabin. Your flowers!! Stop it! I love the photo of the galvanized wash tub with all the volunteers under it!! All your flowers look amazing!

Betty said...

My gosh...your summer flowers are amazing. I'd be on that back bench too. I do nothing in the yard and things need doing.
Congrats on the new babe. I'm getting a grand girl mysel in Oct/Nov. First one. I know what would happen if you opened that door. Ha!

Anonymous said...

Your flowers, and yard, are absolutely gorgeous! It’s been very dry and hot in our area of WI so mine haven’t fared so well. Congrats on another little granddaughter. I’d bet her big sister is thrilled! I’m on day one of a five day sprint with my 5 yr old grandson and I know it’s tiring but fun! Cherie in WI

Maureen said...

Congratulations on your new little granddaughter!
Thank you for the tour of your beautiful flowers and wildlife. Mine have been pitiful this year due to too much rain and hungry critters. My phlox and even my sunflowers look like Morticia Addams gave them a trim!

Nancy said...

Your place is sheer magic~
All the animals know it, as well as the plants...here in North Central Texas, everything is burning up, from days and days of triple digit heat. But it's comforting to know there are such things as Firefly Petunias.
Welcome, Baby Myla Lynne! 🩷

NMK said...

Congratulations on your new grand daughter !!! She and her big sister will be so much fun !
Your flowers are just Beautiful ! The way you have arranged them is so pretty , even all the volunteers ! I would sit on your bench too , just such a pretty setting ! Peaceful ...enjoy !!!

Acorn Hollow said...

Congrats on the new granddaughter lucky you!
Your flowers are so beautiful. I didn't do much for annuals this year and sad for it after looking at your azing plants.
Cathy

Lady Locust said...

Oh congratulations on baby Myla. Glad all is well even if sketchy at the time. What beautiful flowers!

Jan Hebert said...

I am so happy that you have a new grandchild! Congratulations! Your flowers are amazing, I've never heard of the firefly petunias but will watch for them next season. Like Cathy, I didn't do many (any?) annuals this year I think because it was just too darned hot and our town has a perpetual ban on watering due to drought conditions. Hoping for better weather next summer. I love the volunteer plants! Jan in MA

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Welcome Myla!! Yay - I hope all are settling in well. What a sweet holiday season it will be. I’m so far behind and can’t catch up - good grief. Anyway - absolutely gorgeous flowers and the volunteers? Amazing.! And that pretty little window over the garage – there must be a room up there for me to move in - I’d feel like Rapunzel! Ha ha! The flowers and landscaping are gorgeous-you have such an eye for design and patience for tending them. What a wonderful spot to sit, ponder, relax, and get away from the craziness of the world. Hoping all is well, and will catch up soon.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

What a lovely floral abundance post. But the real sweetness lies in baby Myla safely born. Congratulations all round.

marly said...

Happy to hear that mom and baby are doing well now. I am amazed at the size of your plants. Rotten weather and they are thriving. The back porch, the pool, the tall galvanized ??? at the garage, and the volunteer photo were all saved. Did you purchase the combo pots or mix them yourself? I have a whole new plan for next year now!! Something tells me they won't look like yours. And Google Lightbox won't allow magnification for close inspection!

Anonymous said...

Good evening Robin, wow I’m rather late…Congratulations on another Grandbaby, so exciting… What fun you must have had with Mia but yes can be tiring with a wee ones energy…. I’m so jealous looking at your flowers, just wow! So beautiful and abundant, I can only wish but here at camp I don’t really have room. I want the firefly petunia, that is amazing the way it lights up, never heard of it….. Weather here for august has been perfect, warm sunny days and cool nights, my kind of weather….. You have such a beautiful home and gardens, I enjoy seeing every time….Take care, full moon time, lookup, love and hugs❤️Francine

yaya said...

Congratulations on your new grandchild! Prayers for quick healing for momma. Your flowers are so beautiful! I absolutely loved the firefly petunias! What a special plant. I need to up my flower game! Take care Robin and enjoy your grands! We're hitting a dry spell but hope rain comes again and move the dry spell to October for the reunion!

TheCrankyCrow said...

Thank you Nancy! You leave some of the best comments. I can't even imagine living with heat that high - and that long. My soul, mind, and heart need some dark, cool, days to recharge.