Monday, October 30, 2023

All Hallow's Eve Eve

{"All Hallow's Eve" - design by Dulaney Woods Treasures}

Once again, it's been too long between posts.
My back and neck issues are generally managed (by oral medications and bi-weekly injections, physical therapy and chiropractic care) to a nagging, aching, level with only occasional bouts of stabbing debilitating pain.  In the past month or so, the state of pain has been inverted and the nagging, aching, level would be welcome.  At least I would get a few hours sleep from time to time.
Add to the pain and sleep deprivation a garage that has decided to start collapsing, and on-going stressors I prefer not to breathe life into by reducing to writing, I am struggling.

But, all that said, it's the eve before Halloween and I promised myself I would get a post done to wish those who have brought so much joy and comfort to my world a bewitching Halloween-tide.

I haven't much in the way of news...and my days are even more mundane than typical.

Each day starts the same...with my special "brew:"

\

And if I've managed to bake, a treat...

{Butter pecan scone with penuche glaze}


The colors in the above photo (taken less than a week ago) are long gone.
Last week we received more rain than I ever recall getting.  In one 36-hr period, we had over 6" and I've heard the totals for the week were somewhere around 11-12."  This, of course, did not help my roof situation. 
Now, it's turned cold.  
It has snowed once, but did not stick.  Tomorrow, however, we are to get several inches...of the staying variety.  My gardens have not been cleaned but there's not much to do for it now.

Stitching has all but slowed to a halt, but I am trying to keep up with the weekly "assignments" for the Grace Bridges stitch-along.

{"Grace Bridges Sampler" by Stacy Nash}

It is a quirky piece: duplicated letters, missing letters, spacing with no rhyme or reason.  Despite my love of "wonky," I seriously battled my OCD in the second and third alphabets and my OCD mostly won out with many corrections. (It's technically not a reproduction so I felt at liberty to make changes.)
The upside: I know my math skills are not completely dormant.
The downside: It is very time-consuming and makes spacing in subsequent lines difficult.
So, I tucked my OCD neatly (very neatly) back in its box and am trying to embrace the quirkiness of little Grace...who I am convinced was a wild child more enamored of roaming the meadows searching for wildflowers and toads than learning her stitches.

And, yes, I continue to read. This is the book I just finished:


Most of you know my affinity to research regarding the Salem witch trials of 1692.  I have a complete library dedicated to books - both fiction and nonfiction - on the subject.  This, however, is one of the most readable sources I've come across.  Yes, there are footnotes (but not too many) and tons of endnotes/sourcenotes in the bibliography, but it still reads almost like a novel.

That's about it.
One would think that, after so many weeks of silence, I'd have something more to write about.
One would think.

Anyways, wishing you all a magical night of bewitchment ahead.

21 comments:

Saundra said...

I love your "witches Brew" cup. Back in the day there was a delicious alcoholic drink I'd make on a Sunday which is what how I referred to it because it made me witchy crazy.
What a delectable decadent pecan scone you have there. You should open a bakery shop since you enjoy baking and obviously good at it.
Your stitchery looks absolutely fine to me but then I'm not 'quite' as OCD as you. Yeah, I've been known to reverse hook and am thinking about a spot on my eagle rug to do that.
Weather changing overnight here too. Tomorrow will be COLD and rainy but hope that white stuff stays WAY AWAY.

Nancy said...

Oh! I, too, have begun the Grace Bridges sampler, but not as a stitch-along. I have not stitched another's design in a very long time as I usually design my own...and thought it would be relaxing. And it is. But I find it a bit boring, so I will be putting it down and then picking it up when I am feeling lazy. The Witches is a very good book! On another note, could your neck problem be alleviated by a chiropractor? Wishing you well, and a Blessed Samhain...

Primitive Stars said...

Happy Hallows Eve Sweet Crow, I feel your pain, hope you find comfort in the days ahead…. I love your witches brew cup, it’s perfect… We have had a dumping of the white crap already, it’s to early I think, looks like it’s staying….. Nothing new here, we closed up camp, miss my campfires so. … I think your stitchery is wonderful, always enjoy seeing your work, talented you are…. May you have a bewitching Halloween, Blessings Francine.

acorn hollow said...

I am so sorry your days and nights are marked by pain. I have been looking for the perfect witchy cup for my coffee and that one is perfect.
I have the opposite of OCD mine is ok good enough problem when I should slow down and take more care. As you know I haven't read at all I miss it and need to get back to it. We went from an 80 high to 37 and sleet in less than 24 hours. Tomorrow I plant garlic! Maybe it will keep the vampires away.
Happy Halloween!
Cathy
Ps that scone looks so good!

jabblog said...

Poor little Grace Bridges - I hope her elders were not too hard on her for her omissions.
I hope you can find an answer for your ongoing pain. It's so debilitating.
The book looks most interesting. The trials and tribulations of women accused of witchcraft were terrible indeed.

yaya said...

I'm so sorry you're having so much pain. I hope it gets better soon. You need a little sage burning to remove the evil spirits! I love your witchy cup and you know I have a couple of those! Yummy looking scone! Cold trick or treat today but no snow until later tonight. Happy Halloween and healing hugs!

JustGail said...

What matters is if you are happy with the stitching results. No one will know of changes from the pattern unless it gets placed side-by-side with another or the pattern. Those odd spacings and letter quirks do sound like someone who'd rather be doing something else, or was distracted by other things going on in their world, would do.

Sorry you're having so much pain with your neck again. Hope it calms down soon.

Nancy said...

Your sweet comment has me appreciating the Grace Bridges Sampler much more.🌞

Julia said...

I'm so sorry that you've been suffering from back and neck pain and the cold doesn't help. A few years ago, I too was plagued with back and neck pain but I'm glad to say, my neck is finally feeling better now. I tried all kinds of pillows that they advertise but they didn't work for me until I found a soft gel pillow at Cosco, that helped me. I have arthritis in the neck so I can sympathize with you.

You are so creative with your window treatment, it's perfect for this time of year. That yummy scone makes my mouth water. It looks like everyone is coveting your witch cup. You better keep an eye on it. All I have is a snowman mug. lol...We got dumped on yesterday. Our first snowfall of the season.

Happy Halloween dear friend. Hugs
Julia 🎃

Rugs and Pugs said...

So sorry to hear you are in such pain...and to add garage issues to the mix. UGH! Some days a condo really tempts me.
That scone...YUM!!!
In another life, were you that wild child, Grace Bridges?
Happy Halloween, my witchy ET ;-)

Julia said...

Oops! I meant to say that your Stacy Nash cross stitch fell in the right hands. You did a great job on it. It looks great to me.
Julia

NMK said...

So sorry about your neck pain ....I have had problems with my neck for years ...it is not fun !
Love your Witchy mug & your sampler will be so pretty . I Love the blue plate with your delicious scone on it !
All that rain sounds awful & depressing ! Now cold & Snow ...UGH
Hope you have a Happy Halloween ...take care

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

The weather is pants in Blighty too. It has been very stormy and cold of late, with poor local folk being flooded, bloomin awful for them. I have to say the cold has come as quite a shock after many days of sunny warmth, but it happens every year, takes a bit of getting used to. I always feel aches and pains are worse when the weather is cold as our bodies tense up. Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. I wish your pain to go away and NOT come back another day. I hope you have some respite soon and I wish you an enchanting Samhain. Your English friend. x

Lady Locust said...

Awe, I am so sorry you are feeling unwell. Many are struggling it seems, in one fashion or 'nuther. Your flow blue makes the scone even more scrumptious looking 😍 Hope you get to feeling better. Always good to hear from you.

Dicky Bird said...

I didn't know you were is such pain. That sucks! You should do a presentation and share your knowledge of the Salem Witch trials. Also, I found some ice cream scoops and flower frogs...if you ever want to meet for coffee somewhere. Happy Halloween my friend!

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

lovely sampler! and I agree...make it yours! no rules to follow as far as I'm concerned...even with my own designs lol ;)
leaves are blowing around today, blustery but sunny start to november....
happy belated hallow's eve my friend ~
Lori from Notforgotten Farm

Prims By The Water said...

I love everything about your first display! I know I am late reading your post so I hope you had a boo-tiful Halloween. That Stacy Nash sampler looks like something I would stitch too. Have been purchasing many samplers lately as I hve gotten back into cross stitch. I have 3 projects going on right now and my hooked rug. EGAD I have gone mad. I hope you are feeling better. My daughter takes meds each day for her back. With three surgeries, she is still in pin most days too. Janice

marly said...

Damn girl. I wish there was something we could do to create SOME comfort for you. Maybe your body has adjusted to the meds and needs something new and shocking? Forget about the garden beds. They'll croak and be easier to yank in spring. I tried cleaning debris and leaves surrounding the house and it looked so neat. Until a wind and a dropping oak made me use that "word". Forget it. I plan to let the snow crush it all. Please take care and do not overdo. And we don't need exciting news and stories, just let us know how you're doing.

Anonymous said...

I’m sorry to hear about the pain. That you’re still able to stitch and bake as diversion is amazing. I am working on charting some antique needlepoint as well. Have you been to Salem, Mass.? My hubby visited a librarian friend there in July and she said the season would ramp up very soon. Sheepunderfeet

Mohammad Mahtab said...

Gearing up for All Hallow's Eve Eve! Double the excitement, double the spooky fun—bring on the costumes and treats! 🎃👻 For ecommerce website development company in delhi Visit:- https://www.artattackk.com/

Anonymous said...

. I always feel aches and pains are worse when the weather is cold as our bodies tense up. Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. I wish your pain to go away and NOT come back another day. I hope you have some respite soon and I wish you an enchanting Samhain. Visit webdesigning company in delhi