Monday, March 25, 2019

The Organized Crow and the End of the Great Scavenger Hunt

Well, that might be a bit of an overstatement....in fact, a rather large exaggeration?

But....it's a start.


(Those of you with "studios," craft rooms, and other dedicated creating spaces and those of you who don't stitch or punch might as well move on to the next blog post as you likely won't be able to relate.  But it's ok with me if you stick around for the "duh" factor.)

As I have mentioned before, our nest is modest...and prior to WWR ("When We Remodeled"), it was teeny, tiny.  So, my "craft" supplies were tucked in various multiple closets, crannies, and nooks, in a sundry assortment of boxes, bags, and whatnots.

As a result, every time, the "creative" bug bit me, I would embark on a rather tortured and tedious, multi-level (because yes, things were cached upstairs and downstairs) scavenger hunt to find what I needed.
While this was, at times, amusing as I would find things I had forgotten I ever had, most times it was frustrating as hell heck.

And it was never more frustrating than when the project-to-be was cross stitch, embroidery, or punch work because, as those of you who do fiber arts know, floss and thread come in a dizzying myriad of colors from a menagerie of manufacturers (i.e., Weeks, Gentle Arts, DMC, Valdani, Classic Colorworks (f/ka/ Crescent Colors), The Caron Collection, etc., etc.).

I would stare at the "supplies needed" part of the pattern...and curse mutter.  Especially when the pattern called for a MIX of brands.  I had no clue if I had DMC 3799, Gentle Arts "Endive" or Weeks "Whiskey"... All I knew is that after several hours of searching, I was wishing I had some actual whiskey, and inevitably ended up just purchasing the required floss.
While this was not necessarily a "bad" thing (since, I have the uncanny luck of usually having every color BUT the color called for), it did, on occasion, lead to mass duplication and a compounding of the "storage" mayhem.

So...I finally did it.  I began to organize.
 I started with a journal. I guess there are apps now for keeping track of flosses, etc., but I still like the feeling of a book in my hand. (Nope, don't do Kindle either.)

Now while you will see many fancy and fun stitching (and other) journals out there, I refused to even peek at Pinterest or Flosstube as I knew it would be like falling down a rabbit hole.  Mine is just a simple leather cover with an insert of blank pages made from art/recycled paper.

(I added the charm, etc. to make it a little more personalized.)


Since I didn't quite know where to begin, I started with sections that I knew I wanted: A section containing checklists for the flosses I have so I could just look at the journal to know if I had it or not, a section with "aids" (you know, those things you should know but sometimes forget...like how to calculate the size fabric needed (just in case I am stranded on a desert island that has linen and floss but no access to the slick online calculators 😉), etc.

(I made the little tab dividers using old papers and transparent labels.)

(I also added fun little bits of ephemera related to sewing here and there....)

Then, I scoured every possible place I could remember stashing floss (a several-week process), and began cataloging... 

(A ✔ indicates I have that color...and if I have duplicates/triplicates, etc., they are marked to the right of the name.  That way I know not only IF I have a particular color, I know how many skeins of it I have.)

I have a section for DMC, Weeks, Gentle Arts, and Miscellaneous. I am still working on how I am going to do the Valdani.

Although I hesitated, I also added a WIP section. This one is for cross stitch projects.  I will likely do a separate section for punched projects.

(I may edit the template I made after I know what I want to include.  I only started with current projects.  No WAY I am going to try to "reconstruct" the past.)

Once catalogued, I had to figure out exactly what I was going to DO with the mountain mound of floss I had retrieved from the long, lost, hiding places.  After all, what good would it be to know I had 30 skeins of Gentle Arts "Black Crow," but didn't know where those skeins were?

The DMC was easy... I already had the vast majority of that wound on the little plastic bobbins (I know...causing crinks and bends in the floss, but hey, I am NOT unwinding that $@#*) and organized numerically in two separate plastic cases that are, for now, stored neatly in an old Coats & Clark spool cabinet, along with bags of duplicates.  The "miscellaneous" was also somewhat easy as there wasn't much of it (at least that I found) and it is now stashed in the bottom drawer of the spool cabinet with the DMC.

That left the Weeks, Gentle Arts, and Valdani.
Since I had, by far, more of the Weeks, I sorted them alphabetically, and repurposed this old apothecary cabinet (purchased from one of my favorite haunts, The Farmer's Daughter) into a floss cabinet.



(Each letter of the alphabet also has a separate D-ring that holds duplicate unused skeins)


For now, the Gentle Art collection is stored in a little stack of sewing machine drawers Papa Crow bought me many years ago, and the Valdani...well, since they are balls of floss (vs. skeins) and have the screwiest name/number system you can imagine, I haven't cataloged them yet; nor am sure what I will do with them once they are herded and cataloged.

And since I was on a roll, I also tackled my linen stash:

Each piece is in its own plastic bag, with the count number, linen name and manufacturer, and size of the piece.  They are then arranged by count number from smallest to highest (mine goes from 25ct to 45ct) and stored in two of the drawers of this awesome antique cabinet in my someday-to-be "playroom." 
(And, yes, I know this is not the "proper" way to store linen as it will become creased, etc., but I do not have the space, nor the patience, to convert to a hanging system.)


Ta-DUH!!
I no longer have to hunt aimlessly for floss and linen I may...or may not...have.

And, "Duh" because I should have done this years ago.
(It wasn't worth waiting for, was it? 😉)

I hope your week is off to a great start!



16 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

It all looks wonderful! Now you can spend your time working on your project rather than searching for the fibers!

Prims By The Water said...

OMG I have no clue half the time where my floss and valdani skeins are..as I have no room dedicated for creating. Looking at your apothecary gave me the idea that I should do the same with my skeins and organize in my own apothecary. Thanks for sharing your muttering as I am the same way when looking for something. Great idea! Janice

marly said...

My goodness that had to take a boatload of time of patience. I love that leather journal. Your organization is impressive and enviable. I have a big floss box that is full and journals that are empty!

elaine allerton said...

Love ur blog posts!!
I am in awe and kaughing at the same time,,,,
I feel exactky the same way,,,,
Looking for stuff ,,, gets in the way of actually creating!!
And ,,, I have a craft room!!
Thanks for sharing,,,
On my way to try,,, and sort my threads, etc, so I can start some punches,,, etc,,,
Have a great day, too,,,

Patti said...

Fabulous! And I was just happy to get through my Gentle Arts Sampler Thread ;)
Your journal is so much lovelier than my app! Getting through the rest of my stuff is just too daunting!
Blessings, Patti

Farm Girl said...

Oh my gosh that is so wonderful!! I love that cabinet too. My stuff is just like you described. When ever I go to start a project I am on a chase to find my stuff. I love how everything looks so neat and clean. Well I guess there is a great reason for snow. :)
Have a wonderful day.

Rugs and Pugs said...

I am jealous of you being organized, but more so all that specialty floss and linen. I have almost none 😢😢😢
Now we want to see some projects!

Winnie said...

I am duly impressed!! It looks like you have done yourself a wonderful extensive favor as well. there is nothing worse than foraging about the closets and drawers and not finding what you are pretty sure you had at one time. How I know the frustration well!

This project was huge, but I love how it all came out so organized and catalogued. Your stitching expertise will become more fun since you no longer have to have a fishing expedition to see if you have what you need. I also really like how you made such a lovely journal to keep all the information together. It looks pretty and has lots of personal touches which I admire.

Me? I am a basic doer of a few crafts and have a history of a couple of complex cross stitch sampler projects. But that was back in my 30s and now I don't seem to have the touch anymore. I can't seem to count correctly which feels like an endless frustration of pulling out and doing something over.

During this current decade, I started catching up on reading the books I have longed to have time to enjoy while employed 34 years. It has been wonderful to dive headlong into some new and some old interests!

Ronda said...

What a great way to get things in order. I know exactly how you feel. I've moved rooms several times, condensed my things into rolling crafty suitcases, one for cross stitch and one for punch needle. Working out pretty well for me so far. At least it is all in a small space. I do want to catalog my threads. I want to be able see ahead in punch needle, line up a couple of projects and know I have the threads, otherwise I get held up waiting for Valdani. I have DMC on cards too, and then a huge bag of ???, not sure, I dig. I've been threatening to just ignore the bag and get what I need. Keep saying I will use the bag of threads for scrappy penny patterns in punch needle. Who knows. I only use #12 Perle from Valdani and I use 2 strands, so I go ahead and wrap them on wooden spools. Right now having a backup ball for each color is working.

Did you get thread coloar lists/charts online? Or just write them up?

The whole thing, like life, is just a work in progress.

Now I have to go buy a new journal, and a charm.

Glad to see some returning to blogging. I too am attempting my return.

Have fun~

blessings,
Ronda

Me and My Stitches said...

Call me crazy, but I love organization! Yours is looking great - you have the best little storage cubbies. I made Excel spreadsheets (because I also love a good spreadsheet - lol) for my Valdani and now all of my cross stitch floss. The Valdani is pretty well up-to-date, but the floss is not. Now if I just had more time to use said floss!

Dicky Bird said...

Oh my goodness, you inpired me! I have a few of those little boxes like the one you bought from Kathy, some not antique, but, I never thought of doing that with those. They have nails etc. in them. Now, I will have to clean them out and do this! I never sold them, because I thought they were cute. Have a great week!

diamondc said...

I do wish I was more organized, I am half way there.
Love the cabinet, it is beautiful.

Catherine

JustGail said...

I love your supplies tracking journal. I have a very basic spreadsheet, which seems rather cold and ... calculating. I'm not sure how to word that. It does the job but brings no joy to look at.

I've learned far more organizing and storage ideas from those who have to "make do" and get creative with their situation than I do from big fancy dedicated spaces with all the matching furniture and storage.

Anonymous said...

I have a very similar leather bound journal sitting beside me right now! I love what you are filling yours with and you’re so organized. I was so glad to find you today, I have been away from blogging for a long time but we use to be blog buddies, I painted some art for you years ago, my profile photo will bring you to my new blog, it’s called where the spruce trees grow, I am so happy to have found you again! Best wishes from Canada!

Alexa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
laixinjie said...

I do wish I was more organized, I am half way there.
Love the cabinet, it is beautiful.custom fleece blankets