Thursday, April 18, 2019

Has Anyone Seen My Mojo??

As some of you who know me perhaps better than others know me, know that I used to do a lot of things that I no longer do.
And while it is perhaps good that I no longer do some of the things that I no longer do (let's not go there), other things that I no longer do were "good" things....and I miss them.

Hooking was one of those "good" things that I miss.

( "Spring Chicken #2" Pattern by Ginny Glover ~ "Cabin Fever Rugs"....available online at nolahooks.com...I am including the link as it is difficult to find doing a simple Google search....)


I've theorized about what happened.... The blame first fell on WWR ("When We Remodeled") and the Great Flood that occurred during WWR because virtually everything in the teeny, tiny, house in Nod was packed into boxes and put into storage and, of course, I was more than preoccupied with figuring out where outlets needed to be placed.
But WWR and even the Great Flood are long since behind us (although the outlets still aren't every place they should be.)

(Pattern by Cathy Stephan ~ Red Barn Rugs)

The second theory was that, like with most of my pastimes, I tend to become a bit compulsive obsessive... When I read, I READ.... When I stitch, I STITCH.... When I punch, I PUNCH....to the exclusion of everything and anything else.
But I've managed to work back into reading, stitching, and punching (albeit in somewhat "diet" form)...just not hooking.



I even theorized that my long sabbatical from hooking had paralyzed me into thinking that, perhaps, I had forgotten HOW. 
But that was just silly. (Wasn't it?)

So, I have come to the conclusion that I have simply misplaced my hooking mojo.

(Pattern by M. Shaw)

I have looked left and right, and I have looked low and high....
Wait....that's a Dr. Seuss rhyme.
Anyways, you get the gist.
I have yet to find it however.

So, a day or so ago, I forced myself to go down into the maze of rooms known as the basement of the teeny, tiny, house, and go through some of the boxes that have remained untouched since WWR.


(Pattern by Cathy Stephan ~ Red Barn Rugs)
(Chicks are hooked Waldoboro style)

Specifically, the boxes containing my hooked rugs.
(Trust me, it took some digging, but I found them.)
In some ways it was like looking at something from a whole other lifetime.
Some made me smile....some made me wonder what the heck I was thinking when I hooked it, and others I had forgotten I had even hooked.


("Hare Heist" Pattern by Ewe and Eye)

Bunny tails are hooked Waldoboro style - you can see better in the photo below (Guess I was on a Waldoboro kick):


I brought up the ones that I had typically displayed for spring/Easter, and those are what you see here.



Funny, even though the teeny, tiny, house is much larger since WWR, I really don't have more places or space to display my rugs/mats.  I guess that's partly while they remained in boxes.

In any event, I still haven't found my missing mojo.  
Maybe next week, I will tackle another box.
Then, again, maybe not.
In the meantime, if any of you find my mojo, please return it to me asap.


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful beautiful hooking! The colours are so beautiful, you certainly have a gift. Oh and I think I did see your mojo, it flew past on the back of a crow! It’s heading your way, be ready, it’s coming!

Farm Girl said...

I love your bunny and Easter rugs! Oh please find your Mojo, I would love to see your hooking and talk rug hooking with you. You are a beautiful rug hooker.
I admit to doing more gardening now than hooking but when I sit down and start hooking I do love the peace it gives me.
I am pretty compulsive too because I am in the garden so much and not in the house.
You always make me chuckle. I hope you have a wonderful day, and so glad you posted today. I have a post I started, but of course, being in the garden, I am not on the computer. :) I came in to check something and I saw your post so of course, I had to say hi!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

LOVE the header photo.
So many wonderful Easter-y and spring rugs. My fav is the M Shaw rabbit.
At one time you were quite the prolific hooker. May your mojo return.
Happy Easter 🐰🐰🐰

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

I so relate! Your rugs are beautiful and seeing them just makes me smile. Sometimes when I loose my mojo, I hang out with my stitching, hooking, punching, quilting buddies and their excitement, passion enthusiasm rubs off on me.

Anonymous said...

Your rugs are awesome! I sure can relate to the mojo, maybe mine is hiding with yours, hope they surface soon. Have a Happy Easter!

Dicky Bird said...

Those are amazing! I took my hooking class from Cathy Stephen too. She is an excellent teacher. I haven't hooked in a L O N G time either. I get that Obsessive...when I do something I do that...I keep on it till I'm sick of it....wish it would be cleaning. Maybe the Easter bunny will bring back your mojo .... I hope he brings mine as well! I have a MIL coming and need to hide some stuff....LOL.....have a great weekend!

Ms Peppercorn said...

Oh, such beautiful items! I’m swooning over Hare Heist and the chick pulling the cart. Reading your post was a welcomed treat so thank you for taking the time.

Winnie said...

Robin, I am glad you ventured down to the basement and found some of your old hooking pieces and showed them here! I love the whimsy of them and they are perfect to enjoy this Easter weekend. As a person who never hooked before, I am pretty sure I won't be finding your MoJo because, well, I don't even know what to look for!! LOL!! However, don't you think we all go through phases that then get put aside? For me, first it was sewing and second it was cross stitching. Where did it go??? I have no idea, and when I try and resurrect a project and start again, I find I just don't have any where near the passion of the past. Why is that?? I don't know, but it is good to hear from others who have experienced the exact same thing. Maybe it is just a way to move on and enjoy other pursuits.

On a completely different note, I wanted to share with you about CrowFriend. I am sure now that his girl, Crowette, is a sure thing. Two days ago, they were sitting side by side on the birdbath and CrowFriend did his little soft cooing call. You know the call where his head bobs up and down with each sound? Then CrowFriend stretched back his leg closest to Crowette, and gently grabbed her foot with his. It was a Crow manner of holding hands!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure of it!! It was so darn cute and Crowette sort of fluffed up her feathers in response. What a pair! I highly recommend watching your CrowFriend for signs of a girlfriend. I wonder if there is a nest of eggs or little Crowlings somewhere near my house? What do you call a human surrogate Grandma? GrandCrowette? What do you think?

Prim In The Country said...

I hope you find your mojo, your rugs are beautiful! I had to take some wreaths, or dust collectors, down to make room for some of mine. I just hope there's room for them in the new house. I have the perfect excuse for my rug hooking obsession, I made it my job. Have a great weekend!

Farm Field Primitives said...

Your rugs are just BEAUTIFUL!! How adorable are the bunny tails!!?? I know what you mean about mojo. My mind tells me" you should do this or that" and my mind or more appropriately my ambition level says 'eh"!! You are so wonderfully talented. Maybe one day your mojo will just sneak up on you and say "here I am"!! Have a blessed Easter!!

Saundra said...

You just unearthed your mojo! Can certainly relate to being totally 'IN" with a hobby as I've also gone thru many (knitting, stitchery, crochet, basket weaving, dollmaking, oil painting, photography) to mention a few. I've also done needlepunch and would like to do it again except I can't seem to pull the rug hook out of my hand. Therein the addition to rug hooking.

Your hooking is delightful. Remember, you don't have to put all your rugs on the floor. You can use straight pins to put in the wall to hang them and when you choose to move them there would only be a tiny straight pin hole.

Enjoy your rugs, view them and bet you'll have a hook in your hand again soon. Looking forward to your creativity.

Prims By The Water said...

First of all how stinking cute is that crow bunny in your header! LOVE LOVE LOVE all of your rugs. Those bunny tails made me smile! Do you have the pattern maker for the chick and cart? Hope you and the crow family have a Happy Hoppy Easter. Janice

Marfi-topia said...

I think your artwork is incredible.
Maybe looking at some of your pieces will help open the mojo door.
Pinterest is also a great place to be inspired..it may take a while, but I'm sure your muse will be back soon.
thank you for stopping by:)

Farmhouse prims said...

Wow, you do such beautiful work. I know your mojo will return one day!!! Hope you have a beautiful Spring! hugs, Lecia

Debra She Who Seeks said...

As a rabbit fan, I love the bunny rugs you hooked! Thanks for popping by my blog today!

acorn hollow said...

What wonderful spring bunnies!!! I hope you find your hooking mojo your rugs are lovely. I do tend to do the same thing when I read I read and when I hook I hook.
cathy

Jennie in GA said...

Do hope you find the elusive mojo, as you are a grand Hooker. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!!

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Did she hide it in a box?
Did she put it with her socks?
She would not could not in a box!
She should not could not with her socks!
Oh where did she hide it that silly old Crow?
Where did she hide her creative Mojo?

Christine said...

Nice work. I have done that with a few things over the years. I use to do bead work, no more. Mosaic, no more. Card making, no more. I actually sold or gave away a whole bunch of my card making supplies. My main reason is I want to clear my clutter. I want to become a miniamalist. I did run across a bin of my mosaic stuff. I have tiles I forgot I had purchased. I might do one more mosaic project and that will be for my memory garden for my sister. I like your blog and will start to follow it. Christine

laixinjie said...

What wonderful spring bunnies!!! I hope you find your hooking mojo your rugs are lovely. I do tend to do the same thing when I read I read and when I hook I hook.
cathy!custom photo collage blanket