Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Whilst The Bittersweet Blooms...

"I shall not go into town whilst the Bittersweet blooms...." {Author Unknown}


I love bittersweet....and it is starting to turn.
Our evenings and nights have a chill to them, requiring a change of clothes when the sun descends.
Some trees have started trying out their fall wardrobes and a few leaves have already begun to fall.

Autumn is, hands down, my favorite-est season of all.  But given what follows it....and how cruel that "what" can be here in Nod, I am in no hurry to pack Summer's bags.

{I adore the combination of the smells of Angelonia and Snapdragons}

Besides, the Hibiscus have just begun to bloom.  They are Summer's most loyal companions.


Like handmaidens, they stand in the shadows until Summer beckons them.

Then they rush forth, colorful and bold.


As they scream Summer's name in almost garish manners, you know when they arrive that Summer has beckoned them because she is making ready to take her leave.

So I treasure her company while I can.

In the quiet corners of my world.


And while the evenings are growing longer, I have not made much progress on the Beast.  However, I suspect some of you may be wondering, so here is where I am at....Not much further along than the last time you saw him.  (In my defense, I did redo several letters....)


The temptation to begin fall projects is sometimes overwhelming, but I fear if he is put aside, he will join the ranks of "skeleton rugs" in my closet(s).

So, I enjoin Summer to prolong her stay, although I know her presence will do nothing to change the passing of days.

How can it be that things can move by so quickly when we are really just standing still?

(PS...Yes, Marly....I can accidentally grow zucchini out of petunias LOL)


15 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Your yard and gardens are beautiful and that is funny to see the zucchini growing there.
That is a beautiful rug, love the dark background.

Debbie

oldgreymareprimitives said...

What a glorious view

Robin said...

Beautiful words, beautiful gardens

Ms Peppercorn said...

Seems like Nod in wintertime is the price you pay for the dreamscape you live in the rest of the year. So beautiful. The rug is stunning too. Thank you for sharing it all.

Saundra said...

Fall is definitely my favorite time of year but bet Snowdog is looking forward to the cold winter with his coat. The Beauteous beast is fantastic and wonder what other great finds you have in your closet.

What a delightful surprise volunteer zucchini you have. One of my favorite veggies and they make good bread/cake too.

moosecraft said...

That's a very good question... "How can things move by so quickly when we are standing still?" I've been wondering the same....though I am ready to bid the heat of Summer a farewell! lol! We've has some autumn like days and I've been outdoors as much as possible on those days! :-) Gorgeous flowers still blooming in your yard and oh that luscious green landscape! Ain't nature grande? :-) Happy hooking!

Farm Girl said...

What a lovely post! You described summer perfectly. Your blossoms and your view is just lovely. It always amazes me at how green everything is right now. Lovely zuchinni. All just perfect.
Your rug is awesome. I really do like that pattern. It was so nice to come to blogger and find you had a post. Have a lovely weekend.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Well your yard is just drop dead gorgeous and what a view. I guess I am ignorant of Nod. I was surprised to see a hill out back.
You hit the nail square on the head...how can it be that things can move by so quickly when we are really just standing still? That's the best pandemic quote I have seen.
Those are some fine looking zucchinis...lol :)

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

Love your pictures. My bittersweet has just a few berries on it. This will be the first year it will have berries since I planted it.
And I had better get hooking, you are way ahead of me and I see you have your letters done. I still haven't finished going around them. A job I would rather not do.
Have a great Friday.
Janet

Me and My Stitches said...

You have such beautiful flowers! I love bittersweet, but don't see it too much. I remember (just a few years ago, lol) riding in the car with my mom, and she would pull over and trudge through the ditch to cut bittersweet that was growing in the fence line!

Winnie said...

Summer is truly beautiful up there in the land of Nod! Things are green and lush and delighted to have the warmth of your Summer's to thrive. Bittersweet is also one of my favorite fall arrivals and sometimes a local grocery store will carry it in the floral department. Bittersweet looks perfect on a mantle with other natural items like pumpkins and Indian corn. It is a combo I never tire of seeing.

Prims By The Water said...

Hi Robin, I keep forgetting to let you know that that driftwood boats were all sold when I did my post. We do have one of the fishbone chimes left, but cannot remember the price. The picture was a photo of the Edmund Fitzgerald. I will try and take a picture of it this weekend. Please email at primsbythewater@yahoo.com so I have your email address. Thanks! Love all of your flowers by the way! Wish I had some bittersweet, Janice

susan hemann said...

Your plants are lovely! Glad to see your bittersweet is blooming!! Please keep me in mind. Have a good day

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Robin,
Such a beautiful display of Summertime goodness and I truly miss seeing so many of these wonderful flowers living here in the desert!!! I know you have such a short window of warm weather and don't blame you one little bit for wanting to prolong it as much as possible!!!
Snow dog is such a handsome boy and I'm sure he enjoys the break as well!
How lucky you are to have some Bittersweet growing there!!! I LOVE it and such would like to be able to just go outside and harvest some when I wanted!!!
The rug is WONDERFUL and is coming along and I can see the progress!! I tend to be a slow hooker compared to others we won't mention, and so whenever I get any loops pulled, I am happy!! I KNOW you will get it done!! Just keep pulling those loops and you will see a finish!!! I promise!!!
Take care and hope you have a great weekend my friend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo

acorn hollow said...

So lovely I too like bittersweet just not how invasive it is here. we are changing the seasons too but your yard looks way better than mine. I do love that whale please keep at it I would love to see it finished.
My only problem with fall is the coming darkness I do not like the long nights and short days I think winter would not be so hard to take if the daylight was longer.
Cathy