Sunday, August 9, 2020

A Walk With Snowdog



I am, by my very nature, a very terrestrial being.  There is nothing even remotely amphibious about me (although a bit of mermaid might inhabit my soul).
The woodlands and upcountry have always been my familiar haunts.
While I sometimes question those ties whenever I am near an ocean, the numerous lakes in our fair state have never held much allure for me.

However, that all changed a year ago.
While on a boat ride with friends, we passed by a property that captivated me. I begged our friend to get closer and there it was: a "for sale" sign.  I cajoled a bit more and our captain docked and I set foot on a place that would soon own me.

(This photo is from that day and that first glimpse....)

It is private and secluded....surrounded by water, except for the causeway that connects it to the rest of the world.

(I believe I first posted about it here...and mentioned it again here and here.)

Each morning we are here (weather permitting), Snow Dog and I go for a walk along the trails in the woods.  
I thought you might like to join us on this morning's walk....


Are you coming???






The pines grow tall here...and the squirrels climb high...much to Snow Dog's chagrin.




(Look up.....that's a huge eagle's nest up there....)





It is my little piece of paradise and the spell it first cast still clings to me like a net.

(PS to Saundra....I am doing this post from my Ipad (hence, completely unedited photos LOL).  As I said, I just use my Chrome browser and then go to my home page on Blogger, and click on "new post."  No app required....However, there are weird little things I don't like about doing it on this...e.g., no photo shows up in the reading list for some reason.)

19 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures. I imagine this is what heaven looks like!
Blogging from your iPad? I still haven’t figured that out...but it’s been a REALLY long time since I tried...sigh.

Saundra said...

Thanks for the blogging info and before leaving for another rug camp (if there ever is another one) will try it out before leaving the house and will download Chrome onto the iPad.
Probably a stupid question but...why don't you make that paradise island your permanent home? How long a ride is it from your 'real' home to paradise?
I adore Snowdog and your eagle.

Saundra said...

OH!!!! And adore your paradise too.

Constance said...

What a beautiful fur baby!! You definitely have a most enchanting property, thank you for letting me join you on your walk,

Take care,
Constance

Robin said...

That is definitely a piece of heaven.

Prims By The Water said...

Heaven in Nod? You found it my friend. Snow Dog is ever so handsome still. Bet he loves his getaway too! Janice

Lady Locust said...

Beautiful! I too am a land-luber. Those giant trees would call me too 🌲

marly said...

I expected a small lake cottage not a gorgeous large home! Magnificent location. The right place at the right time, meant to be. Fabulous!!

susan hemann said...

Such a wonderful place!! I could live there year-round. Do you live in Michigan? I was born there. Do love your dog too. I could take up residence on that chair and never move.

Farm Girl said...

Oh Robin!!! I would never leave! What an incredible place to live. That house is perfect and your walks with your dog is incredible. I love how he looks so wolf like he fits in perfect with the surroundings. I love that you can only get to it by that tiny little road. Have you been there in winter? Have you been there when a storm is all around you? Do the trees roar? You have found to my way of thinking perfection. Thank you so much for sharing these photos. They all trigger something deep inside of me. Your own island. What a wonderful place to escape from the world. So glad you have some place like that, I love the eagles nest.

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

What a gorgeous place for a walk with your dog. I love walking my dogs. I'll bet it will be so nice there in the fall when the trees turn colour. Love the pictures you took. Have a great week.
Janet

moosecraft said...

Beautiful home and surroundings... so peaceful and safe! Lake life is a great life! :-)

Dicky Bird said...

Beautiful! What a little piece of heaven. You found the perfect spot for the gazing ball! I bet it really reflects the lake.

Ms Peppercorn said...

My goodness! Do you need a housekeeper? I mow lawns too 😊. Snow Dog is a really a fine looking pup. More pix please.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Me and My Stitches said...

Such a gorgeous property! I bet Snowdog loves being there with so many different smells and things to check out!

Winnie said...

Robin, this new little hideaway is magical and truly a piece of paradise! WOW, what natural beauty there is at every turn. Enjoy this almost magical setting and PLEASE enjoy every chilly evening for me because I am stuck in the swamps down here in sticky hot Florida!!

Woman Seeking Center said...

'Tis without doubt true that if the essence of contentment were woven into a 'place' this would be that...

It's always seemed to me that the Woods and the Water are the sisterhood of nature - both fill the soul in opposite ways, yet gift the same joy! And to have both? Astoundingly wondrous.

I am SOOOOO happy for you discovering and making yours this magical (and beautiful) water, woodland and house :-) I'm greatly looking forward to seeing more!

Heritage Hall said...

What a perfect haven for the soul's longing....It was meant to be and you should be bowing in gratitude each day for having been led to it
by your instincts. A gift from the Heavens...or was it Snow Dog who
scratched to be let in there? Blessings. Thank you for sharing these
wondrous photos, Robin.