Wednesday, September 23, 2020

And All At Once...

 ...summer collapsed into fall.  (Oscar Wilde)

That's pretty much how it happened.

I spent the better part of the past week at the lake.  When I first arrived, one could catch glimpses of trees that had turned overnight...apparently too shy to change into their autumn attire while anyone was watching.


But each day, it seemed more and more of the less shy decided to don their dress for their final farewell dance with Summer.



The weather was moody for most of the time I was there.  The wind whipped the lake into white-capped tips, and the pines that normally whisper moaned in protest.

The day I left, however, the wind relented, the pines sighed in relief, and the lake returned to her placid self.

I was surprised to find that there was even more autumn gala preparations being done here in Nod than North of Nod.


Little to no progress has been made on the Beast. Or anything for that matter.

I did comment to some that the only thing I have accomplished recently was putting together a jar of werewolf fur...which prompted some raised eyebrows. (Well...ok, questions....I couldn't see their eyebrows.)  So, I am supposing an explanation is in order...and here goes:

A while back, I had an auction selling group on FB.  Mine was a bit different as it had a storyline, each auction had a "theme," and each item had a "storied" description.  In its heyday, it was quite popular...and I made/repurposed several things to sell. When I once sold a dead snake, my husband said "too bad you can't sell dog hair." (Snowdog sheds horribly.)

Challenge accepted.



To be fair....two separate vets concur that Snowdog is part wolf...so the "wolf" part isn't truly an untruth.

I really can't say how many of these I have made...each different of course...but a bunch.  I hadn't done one for a while, but someone who had one of my first ones asked for another, and Snowdog had wolf fur to spare....

So there you have it.



16 comments:

Olde Dame Holly Rose said...

I love the werewolf (weredog?) fur! Snowdog must be a handsome lad. What a creative idea!

Robin said...

The time at the lake looks beautiful. Pretty fall foliage. Very clever idea with the werewolf fur. You took the phrase “if you’ve got lemons, make lemonade” to another level.

acorn hollow said...

A lovely post your fall is ahead of ours. That is one way to get rid of dog hair. Such a fun idea.
Cathy

moosecraft said...

Awesome! :-)

diamondc said...

Robin: Living here in Minnesota I know what you will be going through with the winter weather, the trees are turning way to fast, I just jope the snow holds off till December.
Thank-you for showing the beautiful photos of the trees and their changing color, it is happening so fast, it is like a switch was turned on and expected to change everything over night.
Love the wolf hair idea, do you sell in an Etsy shop? just curious.
Have a lovely day.

Catherine

Saundra said...

Those are beautiful photos and would make a wonderful painting or hooked rug ~ except for the fact I hate narrow cut.
What a hoot and smart move to sell Snowdog's 'hair of the dog' er, wolf. Wish I'd known about your previous FB selling adventure to see what handmade/repurposed items were listed.

Constance said...

What a great idea! My precious Snowball sheds so much and every time I brush her I end up with what looks to be a litter of little furry pups !!. Maybe I should try this for a new Halloween decoration.

Take care,

Constance

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

Great scenery. I just love the colours of Fall. We are getting some pretty colour changes around here too. Have a great day!

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Robin,
Your photos and descriptions of your time at the lake just literally "took me there" and I thank you so much for that!!! I spent a lot of my growing up years in northern MI, not the UP, and so enjoyed all the lakes and the fall colors, and find I really miss them!! Living in the desert has a beauty all it's own, but I still miss those trees with their jewel tone colors and the many lakes nearby!! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!!
What a hoot about your were wolf fur!!! Such a fun and clever idea, my friend!!
If I could send you some of your weather for some of yours, I would do it in a heartbeat!! Still in the triple digits during the day, but at 5AM it was 73* and I was in heaven!!!! I want MORE of THAT!!!!!
Hope you have a great week!!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo


Rugs and Pugs said...

I had no idea you had an auction selling group on FB. I bet there was some really cool stuff. Love your werewolf fur. Very creative :)
Need any pug hair?

WoolenSails said...

The foliage is gorgeous and so wonderful to watch it turn on the lake. Hopefully we can get to see some this year and travel up north before it is gone. You reminded me that I have some bottles I added labels to for last halloween, so I guess I have another box to find for fall.

Debbie

Penny said...

What beautiful scenery! My most favorite part of this season is seeing the changing colors. Love the werewolf fur. Wonder what the equivalent would be for cat hair? I've got plenty of that. Hope you got my email - I wasn't sure I had the right address for you. Take care, Robin.

Farm Girl said...

Well first of all, what a beautiful place and what incredible pictures of all of those lovely trees putting on fall clothes. My goodness, I imagine its even more breath taking in person and I was just in awe looking at your photographs. I totally love your werewolf fur. That is so cute. I can see how that might be a huge seller.
I am so glad you wrote and took photographs. I love reading what you write. Its just so pretty. I love that lake picture as well. I hope you have just a lovely weekend.

Prims By The Water said...

What beautiful Autumn foliage! Glad you had a great time at the lake! Janice

marly said...

Holy photoperiodism! Now? This week? Holy photoperiodism! We have a few here and there but nothing like what you've shown. That is scary for a summer lover. We have more stink bugs than colored foliage. But your views. And property. I'm a shade of green similar to that $&%# Mountain Mist during the mermaid months.

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Your photos are beautiful! They look very much like it looks around here in the Finger Lakes. It was Summer early this week, now cool, cloudy and damp...sigh.