Thursday, November 5, 2020

A Marly Dilemma

 I am trying to escape to the lake as I am desperately in need of some unplugging and recharging. BUT, before I leave, I wanted to ask for your help in a kind of Marly-ish dilemma.  
Those who follow Marly (Samplers-and-Santas) know that she just can't follow a cross stitch chart. 
I in no way mean that in a negative sense....In fact, I admire her courage and creativity and her down-right mad talent for changing up the "called-for" linens and flosses of a design.
Me? Not so much.
Actually, me....not at ALL.
I am a slave to whatever the designer calls for and it causes me great angst when I cannot find the called-for linen and/or floss.  (Really and truly.)
I just don't visualize.  When Marly suggests swapping this for that, or "editing" a design, I just screw up my nose and puzzle.
And each and every time (well, at least as far as I can recall),  I am the first to admit that her changes were nothing short of brilliant when I see her final result.

So.....that brings me to Salem Village.
It is a design by Lori Brechlin of Notforgotten Farm which I started years ago.

(Sadly, that's all the clearer the cover photo really is and sadly, the frame is not available.)

When I first saw the design, I decided I had to do it as a tribute to my grandmother (8x removed), Mary Easty, and her sister, my aunt (8x removed), who were hanged as witches in Salem.

And, of course I used the called-for linen and the called-for flosses (all DMC).

I guess I knew from the get-go that I didn't care for the colors palette much...but I, being me, had not the courage to change things up and by the time I realized I did not really care for them at all, I had stitched too much to redo. 
So, it was put aside.

In my (rather long) hiatus from hooking The Beast, I pulled it out again....
Stitching (or hooking/punching/whatever) "in season" (as Edgar would say) appeals to me....and this being a bit "witchy" was somewhat seasonal....especially given that my grandmother was hanged on September 22nd.

And, gee....I like the color scheme even less.  (Sorry Lori!)
But, I will finish it....after all, I only have one more house to go....(please don't look for "ditches" Marly!!)  
However, as I started the bottom "vine" border, it occurred to me that, mayhaps, I could change the color of the "bud" and that might make things more appealing to me. 

(It isn't as "wonky" as it appears here...that's because it is on my frame...really LOL.)

Mind you, it won't be a cakewalk taking the 7 I have already completed given how I wind and bury my beginnings and tails) and I don't possess a Lift-n-Snip type scissors, but it is do-able.  The called for floss is DMC 436 ("Tan")....but it is a real peachy type tan (which I have a phobia of as that was the color of the gross Formica counter in our bathroom prior to WWR).  I suppose it works well with the other strange colors like DMC 734 ("Light Olive Green"), but would a darker, more rust-like color work better to "anchor" things??? Or would that be lost amongst the browns of the stems and vine??


What say ye???  And if ye be a stitcher and think a substitution is advisable, have ye any suggestions????  I have a sizable stash of DMC, WDW and GA....so the possibilities could be endless.

HELP.
 
I hope you're keeping your sanity out there....Just when we didn't think things could get any nutty crazier, eh??



18 comments:

Edgar said...

So I went and pulled this chart from my pile o'stash... not easy for sure... and see that the pumpkins are DMC 728 a lite topaz... I would go a darker topaz say 729 or even switch it up a bit more and introduce a totally new colour...922 a kind of orangey-brown...... just a thought. Love this chart but have yet to stich' er up.

PatT said...

I feel so horrible that your ancestors were hanged as witches. We have come a long way, baby, but can still go further.

acorn hollow said...

I have no business giving any opinion as I do not do much in cross stitch and was a basic stitcher when I did. But I would think bittersweet color or somewhere in there.
Cathy

Olde Dame Holly said...

Peach tones are very deceiving. I buy a lot of peach floss, but it never seems quite right except in Springtime and even then it seems to spoil my pink hues. If you are going to do it, at least it's "only" 7 to frog.

Rugs and Pugs said...

You are making my head spin Marly-ish...lol. I can't even figure out what 7 things you are talking about frogging.
Go with what makes you feel good and get to the lake house to recharge your batteries. Sure wish I was close enough to run away with you.

marly said...

I agree with you. Do you want them to show or blend with the darker houses? I can't tell because monitors are never close to reality. I would pull 632, 919, 301, 3826.

Did we know this about your family? Have we heard the story of their lives? Will we?

JustGail said...

How cool it is that you have ties to Salem witches! NOT cool that they were hung though!

I have no help on the color thing. In place of a lift & snip, I've slid the needle under the stitch to lift a wee bit with that before snipping, with the very tip of a reallyreallyreally sharp and dangerously pointy scissors.

JustGail said...

Just to clarify - leave the needle in while snipping

Nicki said...

I think what you’ve done so far is beautiful and I love the colors! To each his own. There is no right or wrong. Do what makes you happy!

Saundra said...

As I have never done a cross stitch in my life have absolutely no business giving any advice. Didn't know that about your family ~ goes to show just how backward things were back then. Today people who do holistic medicine would probably be considered witches. Also anyone with intellect who can think outside the box would be considered a witch. We have come a long way baby, as PatT said.

Like Lauren, wish I lived close enough I'd bring a couple bottles of vino and we would probably not get one stitch or loop pulled the whole time. But we'd get in a lot of good girlfriend fun.

Ms Peppercorn said...

It’s cool just being able to trace your family back that far but to actually be related to women involved in a historical event like the Witch Trials of Salem is fascinating. You totally win in our little contest of who gets to be the witch walking down the leafy path ☺️! I also would switch to a rusty red colored floss. You made me smile when you wrote about Marly altering everything she stitches. I admire her but it frustrates me when she starts her ripping out of what looks amazing to me, especially when she has eye issues! Makes me want to drive to her home and shake her 😆!

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

I do believe that whatever colour catches your eye is the one to use. Don't overthink it as there is no right or wrong way where colour is concerned. xx Sad to hear of any poor wise women being mistreated or as your ancestors were, hanged. No witches hanged in my family, I suspect they never could catch us. But one of my kin, Jack Shrimpton,a highwayman was hung in Bristol, England towards the end of the 18th century. A scallywag no doubt.

yaya said...

I do nothing crafty like cross stich or rug hooking or anything that involves a glue gun but I love that pattern and a different color on the bottom would look nice. How sad about your ancestors but on the flip of that it's kind of cool to have such witchy history! My brother lives in Tomahawk, Wis. and they have had snow too and he loves it. I'll take this warmer temp time for now! Have a good weekend on the lake and recharge. We all need that once in a while and a lake house would seal that deal for me! Enjoy!

Jan Hebert said...

Robin, I had no idea of your relationship to Mary Towne Easty! I live in Topsfield, about ten minutes from Salem and my husband grew up here in a home that was built by a Towne family. Of course, the Towne name is huge in this area. Many Towne homes dot the local historical maps and there are many Towne's buried in our historic cemeteries. I just googled Mary Easty and it breaks my heart reading about her being hanged. I'm afraid I can't help you with your stitching dilemma, but I think the suggestion of orangey brown sounds lovely. Jan in MA

susan hemann said...

Personally, I would use a cranberry color. in keeping with the season.
So sorry about your grands, how awful. How little people understood things, not much has changed. Or even a rusty orange. not peach, it needs a spark.

moosecraft said...

Maybe an amethyst or poison green? Gotta have a bit of spark in these pieces to show the spirits live on... :-)

Farm Girl said...

Oh I love the colors you have chosen. What an interesting history too.
I love that kind of thing so much.
I hope you are enjoying yourself and free from the news.
I am still plugged in, it makes me get lots of hooking done. :)
Have a delightful weekend.

Jean Bee said...

I love this! I went to Lori's Etsy shop &ordered it! Will probably take me years to do it. I love the houses!