Monday, November 2, 2020

All Souls' Day

Farewell October!

Happy Belated Hallows' Eve to you all...and wishing you an eventful All Souls' Day as well.
My apologies for not getting back on with a proper Halloween post, but it was a busier-than-I-thought-it-would-be day. (Ever have one of those days where it seems none of your spells are working?? 😉)

And, well....I also missed All Saints' Day, so here we are at All Souls' Day.

{This was taken a few weeks ago...our leaves are long, long, gone....}

All Souls' Day seems to be an all but forgotten holiday, but I have always found it fascinating....  For modern Christians, it is usually a day of prayer and remembrance for the souls of those who have passed on. For Catholics, if is primarily a day where they pray for the souls of the departed who linger in purgatory so they may be released and go to heaven.

{One of the few gravestones I got up before the ground froze too hard.}

Traditionally and by many still, it is believed that on this day the border between the spirit world and real world dissolves. During this brief period, the souls of the dead awaken and return to the living world to rejoin their living relatives for a short reunion.



In some cultures (e.g., Mexico), the living family members treat the deceased as honored guests in their celebrations and leave the deceased's favorite foods and other offerings at their gravesite, or in "ofrendas" built in their homes. It is a time of celebration, drinking, and dancing.  You likely know it by "El Día de los Muertos" or "Day of the Dead."

{This is a real one and stays out year round....}

In European and Spanish cultures, the holiday is a 3-day affair, beginning on Halloween when, at midnight, the gates of heaven open. November 1st is "El Día de los Inocentes" (literally, "Day of the Innocents" or, as we know it, All Saints' Day. This is when the spirits of children can rejoin their families for a 24-hour period.

{Another real one that stays out all year....}

The spirits of adults can then rejoin their families for a 24-hour period on November 2nd, "All Souls Day."

{In case you're wondering, she's typing "The Raven."}

Visiting hours are almost over, so I best be moving on.
Hold your loved ones close because we never know when those in-person visits might end.




 



 

10 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

WOW! You know so much about All Saints and All Souls Days...and you're not even Catholic. My mom always told me I was a pi** poor Catholic...lol.
Where did you get those real gravestones? Grave robbing?
LOVE your swinging skeleton, but why is wearing a mask outdoors alone? Kind of like the people driving their car alone wearing one. I just don't understand.
Praying for a good day tomorrow!!!

Lady Locust said...

I didn’t know all that. I love learning old beliefs etc. 🍁🍂

marly said...

Very interesting. Thanks!
I agree with Lauren. I guess some of the masked drivers feel it's easier to keep it on until all the stops are over. My sister rips out her hearing aid every time she takes it off!

Farmhouse prims said...

I didn't know this, always something to learn. Wishing you a wonderful November! hugs, Lecia

acorn hollow said...

I did not know all about all saint's day. WE had fun trick or treat with my one and only grand she is growing to fast and I feel like I am missing it.
Cathy

Saundra said...

Like the others I didn't know all that info about All Saints Day. I want to know the answered to the questions Lauren asked too. In addition, how where did you acquire the Cemetery Road sign?

yaya said...

Growing up Catholic I do remember that "Holy Day of Obligation" that included all Soul's Day. My sister is Catholic and went to church and they have families put a framed picture of their loved ones on the alter area. My Mom died in May and my sister put her picture up along with a picture of her son who died in a car accident when he was 18. The month of October went by so fast and it was a lovely month, even with the rain we had the last week. I love the photos you shared and I really the loves of the witches! Pretty cool! I hope you have a good week and all the craziness of this election year can come to some kind of conclusion!

Dicky Bird said...

You have such cool things. Gravestones, real ones...are you kidding me. I didn't know what all those days were either. I'm sure there is some truth and tradition held in the believe and customs - or how would they originate. I do believe in the supernatural world.

Olde Dame Holly said...

What a fantastic post! I thoroughly enjoyed it. In Olde New Orleans, it was a day to clean the "graves," which are all above ground there. I was shocked when I found out most graveyards have the deceased actually buried in the ground.

Prims By The Water said...

Wow where did you get those gravestones? I am Catholic and forgot about All Souls Day this year.Lve those skeleton hands typing away. So fun! Janice