Saturday, December 19, 2020

A Different Kind of Christmas....

It truly is....  For many of us, I know.  It seems that the song Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas was written for 2020.

Someday soon we will all be together
If the fates allow
Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow...

These were the original lyrics of the song written in 1944.  They've been changed up...and several times...since. There were changes to more than the above lines...most changes reflecting the times...so do some comparing if you're curious.  Yet, somehow, it's the original version that is most fitting in these times I think.

Yes, that could be an entire post in itself...but not now, not here.  That's not the kind of "different" I am talking about.

  And it's not even the lack of snow here in Nod....unheard of for this time of year.  No, that's not the kind of "different" I'm talking about either.

(This was last week. We did get a little dusting last night, but this is unheard of in Nod....)

And it's not my complete lack of Christmas spirit.  THAT, unfortunately, is becoming a "norm" it seems.  Once again, no baking here, no Christmas shopping here, no Christmas tree here.  But that isn't the kind of "different" I am talking about either.

There are a great many differences in Christmas this year that I could mutter ramble on post about, but since my decor in Nod is severely lacking this year, I am sharing my "Christmas" (such as it is) at the lake.


There isn't much...and I warn those primitive souls out there that this is truly different from what you expect of me.  But the lake house has a completely different soul than my home in Nod and I have to listen to it.

(I had hoped to add some greens and perhaps some lights to the mantel, but like many things this year, THAT didn't happen.)

(I do have a  tree...wee as it may be...and it has lights!)





(Sign Blocks by Mel and Mark of Back Forty)





(Santa by Lisa Evans of Folk For All Seasons)


And then there's this guy:


And, if you're wondering (I'm sure you are 😉), this is what's on my hoop:

("The First Snowflake" by The Primitive Hare...but with different linen, and different floss...Are ya proud of me Marly??)

I hope to manage a post in the upcoming week.  If not, or until then, keep on muddling through...and have yourself a merry little Christmas.

**********

18 comments:

acorn hollow said...

I do think we have to indulge ourselves this year may it be decorated to the nines or nothing at all. All expectations are off! I have grand plans for next year so I am thinking postive.
On another note we have snow and two towns over got 48 inches!!! oh my we have 17 inches.

Cathy

Saundra said...

Your lake house is beautiful and what a wonderful retreat. My Christmas decorations are VERY minimal this year as no one visits me so why pull out all the stuff and have to put it back. I go to my son's house on Christmas day and that's the extent of family. But then I'm used to solitude which wasn't the case at all a few years ago; time changes.

yaya said...

Because of my brother I know how much snow you usually have this time of year so I guess I'll say enjoy this different! He's been talking about selling his lake house on Nokomis. I think he's ready for some different also but staying in the same area. Your lake home looks very festive in his quiet simplicity. I love it! I hope you do have what ever kind of Christmas you need this year. It is different for us too. No big gatherings and missing my Mom hoping she's having a good gathering in heaven! You take care and stay safe! For some reason I feel like you and I are connected in that weird coincidence way!

Lady Locust said...

The picture of the sun rays- my great grandma used to say those were slides that the angels used to get down here to earth. When I see many like you show, it makes me think how blessed the area must be to have so many angels among them.
Merry Christmas to you dear one.

Farmhouse prims said...

I love your decor, sometimes I think simple is better. It has been a rough year, seems like everyday someone I know has passed away or fighting covid. I just set down and cry sometimes. I think you should go get a small tree, bake some cookies for a shut in, get a small gift for someone and listen to some Christmas music. But I understand if you don't want too. I always enjoy reading Chicken Soup for the Soul, Christmas stories. I hope you can enjoy Christmas, hugs, Lecia

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

No pressure “to feel it.”
Go with that. Many of us are in mourning. Putting on the ritz isn’t the answer. You’re staying true to you.

Rugs and Pugs said...

The lake house looks like the perfect place to retreat to!!! Have I ever mentioned I am jealous, ET? Your décor may be different than in Nod, but still beautiful.
Merry Christmas, dear friend, and yes, we will muddle through somehow.

Jan Hebert said...

I'm having a hard time this year as well. Things just don't seem "right". I actually got an artificial tree this year. Always had a real tree but just wasn't feeling like going to get one and actually it was hard to find one in our area if you waited too long. Like my daughter said, a fake tree is better than no tree, lol. It's actually very pretty, looks pretty real. So much nicer than the one I grew up with, haha! I haven't put up my creche, half of my Santa's, no greens on the mantels. I did make a wreath for the front door but I cheated, it's a grapevine wreath with greens at the bottom, lots of natural elements and a tiny nest that was found on the lawn this summer. Not sure if I'll see my grandkids or either of my daughters but I'm hoping we will. I'm hoping that you are able to enjoy the holiday Robin. I'd love to be there, having a glass of wine by the fire. Your lake house looks awesome. Mine is less than 600 square feet! And no fireplace sadly. Jan in MA

Prims By The Water said...

What a wonderful retreat! You might not have it all festive, but it sure looks like kitty likes it. Most of us are muddling through. No Christmas shopping here either. No family...no nothing. Sometimes I feel like Bah Humbug Scrooge. Janice

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Blessings to you at The Lake House. Have the Christmas you want and enjoy as much as you can. We've had the Winter Solstice now and are heading towards the light.
Jean xx

Olde Dame Holly said...

Simple and peaceful decor at your lake home.The Santa in the tobacco can looks like he wants to climb out and bring some cheer.

moosecraft said...

Looooove that little lighted tree (because it shines with hope) and it's pretty too! Lisa Evans is an amazing artist! I try not to look at her stuff for sale, because I want it all! lol! Wishing you peace and health!

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family and your precious critters.

Farm Girl said...

Merry Christmas my dear friend.
Your lake house is incredible. I love everything you have put out.
I hope you get some snow. Its pretty much the same here, we haven't had snow in 22 years. ;)
I wish you the best in the land of Nod.
sending lots of hugs your way,
Kim

Bama Planter said...

I love all the pics! I especially love Santa in the blue can ! I am making walnut stain. I had a lot of walnuts fall this year on the farm. I'm gonna use the stain for some cotton and back a quilt that I'm filling with cotton I planted and saved a few years ago. The seeds are still in the cotton. I've seen and felt old quilts with the seed still in them before. I am so glad you are still posting and commenting. You are right...It's the comments that keep us inspired to continue on. Marshel at Bamaplanter.blogspot.com

Dicky Bird said...

Your lake house decor looks wonderful. I will be doing an online estate sale starting in January. The lady did needlework. When I looked in her shoe boxes full of floss, she had each color in an envelope and it was in numerical order...Oh, I wish my tangled mess of floss looked like that. Hope to see you soon.

Heritage Hall said...

Just love your outdoor white ice skates...wooden? Source please?
Your home looks welcoming and so right...sometimes the most simple
and spontaneous creation suits the soul best. Just love what you have
done with your lake retreat Christmas...

Julia said...

Your photos are so beautiful. It has a warm inviting charm even though it's not as decorated as you used to.

I hope that the New year will be a good one for you and that things will return to normal soon.

Thank you for your comment. I just became your new follower.
Hugs, Julia