Saturday, December 5, 2020

Back Forty


Back Forty:  n. a remote and uncultivated or undeveloped piece of land of indefinite size (as on a farm).

Well, that's Merriam-Webster's definition anyways.


Those of us who grew up on a farm know exactly what the "back forty" is. It is the most remote 40 acres of a farm and when a farmer was too far away to be reached, it was usually because they were in the "back forty."
It was also where the best berries grew...and hunting was the best.  


There was also a very good chance you would meet up with creatures you'd rather not...like wolves, lynx, or bears....at least in OUR back forty.

If you didn't know the definition, don't worry.  Supposedly the phrase is less popular than 80% of the other words in the English language. In recent years though, the term "back forty" has been used as a sort of metaphor for the second half of one's life...you know...that part that comes after "midlife" when things get "real."


In some ways, life becomes more "predictable" and families, responsibilities, and careers replace the carefree days of "pre-midlife."  Like the back forty of a farm, it can also be scary at times and filled with unknowns.



One can look at it like that...or one can look at it as a completely new beginning full of undiscovered possibilities.  The second "chapter" in your life where things can't help but be richer, fuller, and more appreciated because of all the things you "learned" in the first half and you now know what truly matters.


About a year and a half ago, I stumbled upon a new "back forty" right in my own back yard so to speak.  It is a clever combination of both definitions of the phrase as it is "remote" (it IS in Nod, after all), but oh the fun, playfulness, and possibilities!

This Back Forty is a physical place (it is located at 9290 County Road A, Wausau, WI 54401) but it is also so much more.  The owners are a husband and wife team each of whom is blessed with talent and creativity beyond measure and when they combine their gifts, it becomes something magical.  They offer complete design services - from interior designing to complete remodel projects and everything in between...including some amazing and unique craftsmanship.



Periodically, they do themed "markets" or "sales" where they offer up a virtual feast of "funk" and "junk."  Artistically repurposed finds and handcrafted treasures are curated in the most imaginative ways. The photos in this post are of their current Christmas market, "Four Christmases."  Since this post is already long enough, I will let them speak for themselves.


 












And, yes....I was just a wee bit....


...but that's a different post for a different day.  😉


 Mel and Mark...the magic behind Back Forty





 

 

19 comments:

Saundra said...

Loved the post, have often referred to my back woods as 'the back forty'. Your friends are adorable and wish them well. So how much loot did you take home after taking those temptation photos, eh? Bet the "Naughty" one went home with you for sure. Liked this post and photos so much I might visit you again.

Farmhouse prims said...

Love the lesson on back forty. What a wonderful shop, I bet you feel like a kid in a candy store when you are there. Hugs, Lecia

acorn hollow said...

I would be naughty in there too! It is so nice to see young people so creative and ambitious. While we are only on 4 acres my husband refers to the the back two as the back 40. Great post
Cathy

Ms Peppercorn said...

Wonderful post! I wish I could shop there. Thank you Robin.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Thank you for a squiz at your local back forty. I really love their creativity. I wish we had stores like that in England. I often see amazing crafted items on Etsy but more often than not they are in USA and do not ship to us. Perhaps I should open a store for next year, there's a happy thought.

Prims By The Water said...

It was in the back forty where I came across a coyote once on my grandparents farm. What a wonderful store! Thanks for sharing a creative couples vision! Supporting small business is so vital right now. Janice

Olde Dame Holly said...

I remember the back forty on my grandparents' farm. It backed up to a silted-up slow river, and the trees there were festooned with sunning water mocassins. Back forties can certainly be wild and surprising, especially when seen through a child's eyes. I just love that store in your area, especially the signs they've created.

Mrs. D said...

Great post Robin. I have an errand to run in the Wausau area on Friday this week. I'll put the Back Forty address into my Garmin and see if I can find it. Looks like a fun shop, and your pics are inspiring!

yaya said...

Now that's my cup of tea! I'll have to ask my brother if he's ever been there. I love all the "stuff" and they are a cute couple! It's not fair to be talented and beautiful! Ha! I hope your back 40 is doing good and staying healthy and safe. Our back 40 has a missing 0! But the back 4 of our Creepy Woods is plenty for me! Have a good week!

Woman Seeking Center said...

Crow Quote:
One can look at it like that...or one can look at it as a completely new beginning full of undiscovered possibilities. The second "chapter" in your life where things can't help but be richer, fuller, and more appreciated because of all the things you "learned" in the first half and you now know what truly matters.

Deeply truthful (and beautifully written) insight and wisdom dear crow....
For what is the purpose and joy in our "years of days" if we do not learn as we travel to find the threads of joy in each phase, each warp and weave?

As for your historical farm back 40 - lots of memories, old and new attached to that for me! Speaking to your currently discovered back 40, all I will say is that it's a GOOD thing I don't reside in NOD for if I did I'd be in deep trouble (deep deep deeeeppp trouble)! lol What fun to virtually shop along with you tho!! (and you didn't have to listen to my "I-want-that-whimpering which is allegedly quite annoying to anyone within earshot) :-)

Perhaps you will share an image or two of what followed you home? Never of course admitting to the entire flock of collectibles that (may have) made it clear they were always meant to be yours....

xo
I.

oldgreymareprimitives said...

We all need to support small business- it's easy when they're as cute as that.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Looks like a great store. The owners remind me of Ken and Barbie. Such a cute couple ;-)

Dicky Bird said...

First, yes they are. I've been to her sister's sales when she had them in Mosinee at her parent's house. I've not yet made it out to the Back 40. It's on the "list." I know she suffered a bad fall off a ladder and I was and have been praying or her. Also, I never thought about the back 40 in terms of our life before, but I may "steal" it....ahahaha....

Farm Girl said...

Well I would be spending all of my time at the Back Forty. What a great store. Yes, the back forty has always been a special place in my mind too. I like how you brought so many other things to my mind about it too. I hope you are all well and things are good.
Its been nice here too.
I hope you have a delightful day.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Now that is my kind of store! I would love to spend a little time (and money) in there.

Jennie in GA said...

What a fun and quirky shop. Must be a fun couple that runs it!!

Julia said...

Hi, It's my first time here and it looks very beautiful, including the lovely couple. Such creativity is a great gift. What a blessing you are to each other.

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I get my news from NewsMaxTV and NTD on Youtube. I stumbled on these networks by accident. I have discovered that the mainstream media are reporting a lot of fake news to deceive Americans and the world.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and stay safe and well.
Julia

Julia said...

To answer your question about" How old is my poinsettia"?
I got three large poinsettias from our church after Epiphany in January last year. I've been caring for them and left them in my sunny room all year. I give them a weak solution of fertilizer all year and they just grew so tall and wide. They were green all year but have started to turn red. I keep them on a cold ceramic floor except they have gotten so big that I had to put one on the table.
Merry Christmas.

Bama Planter said...

I swear you have the best pics of any blog !! Marshel in Alabama
Bamaplanter.blogspot.com I appreciate you being one of my few readers !!!!