Friday, March 12, 2021

I Like To Do What Most Hookers Don't.....

Cathy from Acorn Hollow likes them "big," Lauren from Rugs and Pugs enjoys (and often pursues) "quickies" and dear Mummy Dearest (a/k/a Saundra) of Woodland Junction's penchant is clearly for "older" ones.

To each their own, I suppose, and while I have experienced, at some point, some of the pleasures of the above preferences, my predilection is, as in most aspects of my life, of a more peculiar bend:  I like to do what other hookers do not like to do.

I like to bind rugs.
(What were you thinking I was going to say???)
Most hookers (including those above-named wonted hookers) dread binding their rugs.  I, however, find it relaxing, mindless and effortless...the part where I don't really have to do any work.  

While I have not yet brought the Beast forth from his dark hiding place or otherwise engaged in full-blown hooking activities, I did finally bind my "Guilford Runner" that I had finished hooking some time ago.


There are some amazing old paisleys used in the red and gold portions that do not show in the above photo, but think that you can see in the photo below:

 

This design (by Edyth O'Niell) was what I first chose to hook after having taken a long hiatus from hooking.  I should have thought more clearly in both my choice and technique while doing it.  The pattern is clearly very symmetrical in design and was not drawn as symmetrically as it should have been (at least according to the dictates of my OCD).  It, therefore, required many "adjustments," most usually in the form of reverse hooking.
In the end, however, I was "satisfied" enough to even consider doing the same one again sometime - something I never, ever, do. (I am usually a "once and done" kind of hooker.)  There are so many tempting color combinations and it just might be better the second time around.
I'll have to "circle back" on that.

And since I had no more rugs to bind am fickle, I finally also finished "Salem Village," a design by Lori Brechlin of Notforgotten Farm.  I am ashamed to admit this took me over 4 years to finish. And it is not "finished" finished...it still needs to be framed...or something.
 I guess sometimes I like it slow too.


I have not decided what's next.  I have a few things started, but none is really getting me terribly excited.  At the risk of once again not finishing something I have started, I may pick up something entirely new.

But, not tonight because I have a headache.

 Yes, my internet woes are continuing.
  I will not bore you with all the technicalities but, basically, my "system" is dropping connectivity somewhere between my devices and the satellite. Still trying to figure out if it is a router issue, a modem issue, or something else altogether.  The bottom line is it's not fixed and I am operating now on "borrowed time."  Hence, why I have a headache.

(Where I go when "she" has a headache.  Smart kitteh....)

Signing off for now while I am still connected.  Hope you are all well and happy. Happier than me will do.

20 comments:

Edgar said...

The hooked (and bound) piece is really beautiful... I often wonder about hooking.... is it something I would like... I ask myself??? and Salem Village is super! Congrats

Prims By The Water said...

What a gorgeous rug Robin and I so love the paisley colors you chose. Am waiting patiently to see the whale of a one you were working on. Forgive me if you have already shown it finished. Am still working on my rather large rug I drew myself. Finally was able to pick up the hook last weekend and worked on it a bit. Those Salem houses are just amazing! Lori is a great designer and I have bought many a pattern from her. Hope you have a great weekend my friend and hope your headache goes away. At least your headache is not remodeling issues this time. Janice

Saundra said...

Your Guilford Runner is gorgeous and I can see those paisleys when I clicked on the pic to enlarge. Actually laughed out loud with your blog as there's definitely a sexual frustration undertone. And, btw, while I prefer the oldies in rug designs my ex was 7 years younger.. jes sayin.

acorn hollow said...

I love your rug! ohhh I love the paisley and the colors are amazing! I am a one and done girl I have never hooked the same rug twice.
I like your Salem piece also. you have been busy.
I am so sorry about your internet issues it is more than frustrating. Sorry you have a headache I rarely ever have one now. I use to get them pretty regularly. I hope you feel better soon
Cathy

Julia said...

You are too funny Robin, and I definitely see a humorous hookers theme that is more than just hooking paisley. lol. Just look up the word paisley for fun.

You did an amazing job on the runner and the color of the paisley really makes it stand out. Lovely job. Like you, I don't mind binding rugs, even though I have a few left unbound. I haven't picked up my hook for quite a spell.

I love your Salem Village cross stitch.
I hope that your internet connection gets fixed. We had the same problem a few years ago and it was one of the wires outside the house that was frayed and every time the wind blew and the wire moved, we would lose connection.

Take care, hang in there.
Hugs, Julia

oldgreymareprimitives said...

Both are delightful! You would laugh so much to see the locals here going craaaazy over a snow dusting today. I was thrilled to get rain almost 3/4 of an inch.For us that is huge. First in over 10 months!

NMK said...

Your rug is just beautiful ! Hope your internet woes get resolved soon ! I Love Lori's patterns too , but cross stitching is difficult to do with these old eyes !

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Darling Robin,

We loved this post.

And, now we can confess that, until we met your fellow 'hookers' online, we had no idea what the verb 'to hook' was all about. Of course, we did know about fishing, but that did not seem to make sense when everyone was talking about wool. So, now we know and we even know that you are the binder to surpass all other binders since your fellow 'binders' seem to avoid that activity altogether if they can.:):)

So often we feel that the English language is escaping us. With all the talk recently of 'woke' when everyone involved seems half asleep to us has really brought matters to a head.

Yes, darling Robin, it is time to aim higher in your lockdown challenges. You have mastered hooking and binding and, no doubt, you are the most 'woke' person around. As climbing Everest and running the four minute mile have already been done, why not try your hand at extreme ironing [also known as EI]. Just take your ironing board up a mountainside, and your iron, of course, and smooth out the creases of your clothes whilst holding on to the rock face with the fingertips of one hand. You can do it... we know you can!!!

yaya said...

You are a very talented hooker! And I know I could never be one! But I can enjoy all the works of art on the hooker blogs! Well done! I hope your internet problems get solved along with your headache. I want you to be a happy hooker!

Dicky Bird said...

You are a hoot! ahahah...
You are so talented in everything you do! Both of your projects are amazing. Sorry about the internet problems. Hope to see you soon.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

I hope all your internet woes end soonest, it's horrible to have something like that niggling away when you're trying to do cheery things. Your rug is most splendid, and I especially love your Salem Village. Keep your chin up ole girl.
Jean
xx

Rugs and Pugs said...

Love, love, love your Guilford runner and the paisleys add such a special touch, though I do not enjoy hooking with them. I detest hooking with "stringy" things.
Kitteh is so sweet.
Sorry about the continuing internet woes. Frustrating is an understatement.
OK. What is at the top of the lift top table between the skater's lantern and the hogscraper? Are those tiny little mirrors???

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful rug and I also enjoy binding, a nice thing to do while I watch tv.
It seems the internet has been buggy all year, can be a pain.

Debbie

moosecraft said...

Beautiful rug! I don't remember me knowing you were a hooker? I bind with thick wool yarn over a rolled edge....so I enjoy binding as well. I tried folding the backing and sewing over with binding tape and found that to be pretty hard on my hands, so that kind of binding I do not like. That is one fluffy kitteh! :-) I wish I could help with your connection woes... but I do not know about satellite service. Ours is cable. I do know that routers and modems do not last very long, so it might be that one or the other is failing.

Bama Planter said...

That's a lovely rug. A lovely rug, indeed. I also am OCD, but call it CDO, since that puts the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be !! With my compliments. Marshel ( Bamaplanter )

Farm Girl said...

I love that rug by Edith O'Neil and I love getting to see what you have been doing with your hands. You are a wonderful rug hooker. I like binding too. I don't have to think...much. Except for new kitty who wants to steal everything.
Your kitty looks nice in the box.
I was hoping your computer issues would be solved.
I hope you have a lovely day. I enjoy your posts so much.

susan hemann said...

such a stunning hooked rug
I hate to say how many projects needed finishing around here
ex: a quilt I made 10 years ago still needs binding ugh
how simple is that?
and yet I buy more

I've decided I'm a collector rather than a doer- lol
I'm a sucker for tools of the trade

susan hemann said...

I need to clarify- I was a doer, in my old age have become an observer
lol

Winnie said...

Wow, Robin, your hooked rug is gorgeous! Do you actually use it as a rug that someone would walk on? Or do they become wall hangings or table covers? Hooking is something I have never tried but it sure does end up beautiful when the project is done. Your kitty's pose issue darn cute!!! I love kitties and miss having one these days. Maybe soon I will make the leap and get a new one.

Rest assured that you are among a lot of us that get started on a project and then abandon it for something else. It is frustrating and when I do that I wonder why I really talked myself into starting it in the first place. A good reason hasn't ever surfaced yet when I ask myself that question. It seems to be a universal complaint of many of us so maybe it is just supposed to be that way?? LOL!!

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Beautiful work! I admire your talent. Kitty is so sweet. The weather is beautiful this week, so I've been working outside and not much in my sewing room. Sure feel old and chubby after a long winter of no outside work. Happy Hooking!