Friday, October 22, 2021

Losing October

Happy FriYay everyone!

I promised I would try to work a few more posts into this enchanted month but, like everything else, October is slipping by me. This, therefore, will be brief.

Our weather has turned.  Last night we had a hard frost which was the end to the remaining outdoor vegetation, and today has been moody and dark...kind of like me.

{Cement Ghosts...remind me of all the mothers who tell their children that their faces will stay that way if they make an unseemly face.}

The photo below was taken a few days ago.  This beautiful tree is now almost bare.

{The lady in black carries a lantern with a candle that lights at night.  Unfortunately, in this photo it is hidden behind the rock.}

No spooking season is complete without some lights:
(Yes, yes, you grammar Nazis (you know who you are) - I KNOW the apostrophe should not be there...but I did not make this sign.)

Fingers crossed that this video works...I've had issues getting them to work here:

If it doesn't work for you, this is a still shot...but it is sooo much better if you can see the light dance.
{"Girls' Night Out" from 1890 Gable House Goodes}

And since it was so gloomy, it was a perfect day for baking something pumpkin.
These are streusel-topped pumpkin muffies.  (In case you aren't familiar with the term, "muffies" are muffins that are baked in special tins so you end up with something that is like just the top of a muffin - the best part as everyone knows.) 
{Not the best of photos....they aren't flat like a cookie, but they are definitely not as thick/high as a regular muffin.}

That's it... Short and sweet.  (In case you missed it, the "sweet" part of this post was the muffies LOL.)  I am off to get a fire going and cross a few stitches.
And when my eyes start to cross from crossing stitches, I will spend too much some time lost in Pendle Forest. 

I'll be back!....Maybe...


15 comments:

Saundra said...

So happy to see a post by you. Thankfully frost hasn't hit here YET. And the video did work.

Am not promising I'll make them but would love to have the recipe for those un-muffins. No rush, as I'm sure I don't have all the ingredients in the event I decide to bake them but you are right only the top of the muffin is worth eating.

acorn hollow said...

I love your witches!! The video worked just fine. I have had a pattern for a cut out of a full size witch (cut out of plywood) for outside. But it never seems to get made.
I don't know if you ever watched the show Seinfeld but they had a whole show on the tops of muffins. They ate the tops and kept the bottoms(aka stumps)and they wanted to donate them to the homeless lol.
Cathy

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Love Gable House Goodes’ candles. And I watched Hocus Pocus for the first time last year. Can’t believe I’d never seen it. I’ll watch it every year now. Our other traditional October viewings are Disney’s old cartoon, Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Young Frankenstein. Fun month!

Julia said...

The video did work fine for me. It almost looked like the witch on the left was talking. I like your big witch silhouette in the garden and those three little ghosts are just adorable.

Your muffies look like a treat. Who needs the bottom of muffins anyway?

I have a maple tree in the back and the leaves were red but now the leaves that are still on it have turned orange. No hard frost yet but it's only a matter of days.

Have a restful weekend and indulge in some great pastimes. Stitching and reading sound just about right.

Hugs, Julia

Primitive Stars said...

Hello, still enjoy your posts, you have so many wonderful treasures….. miss you and forever in my heart❤️ Autumn Blessings, Francine

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Oh my, I love your spooky post. The witch in the garden is superb, and I adore your broomstick sign, I'd love one of those. i don't really do Halloween but I'm going to see Hocus Pocus at my lovely Ritz Cinema, it will be amazing on the big screen. Jean. x

Lady Locust said...

Oh what fun~ love your video.
I'm hoping to make spice cookies today - tis the season - yum!

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Soooo many Halloween atmospheric things in this post!

Don't care about the grammar, I love that sign! And it's setting!

🍁🌰🌻🍂🌻🌰🍁

Jennie in GA said...

Your photography is always the best!!! And the video worked. Love those two and the witch at the tree best. The bottomless muffins look and sound yummy. Have a great weekend 🎃

Rugs and Pugs said...

You may not have truly decorated for Halloween, but love what you have out!

Dicky Bird said...

Your video was cool. I like the witch by the tree too. Muffies, I've never "met" them yet...I'll have to look for that kind of a pan.

Prims By The Water said...

What a wonderful post for leaving us with in October! Wonderful goodies I wish were in my own home. I have been eating so much pumpkin lately, I may turn into one. LOL Janice

yaya said...

Such a fun October post. That video was great and I love those witches as well as the one out by that gorgeous tree. We haven't had a hard frost yet but the rain today along with 50de temps makes me want to bake also! I've baked quite a bit this week because of our family Halloween gathering yesterday but I could bake daily and be happy! Enjoy your book and also this final week of my favorite..and I believe it's yours too...month of October!

NMK said...

I Love your video & your Witches !!! They are just great !!!
Can't believe October is almost over .... our nice warm weather is over here in New England too , but I do like the chilly , fresh air & wearing sweaters ! Happy Halloween !!!!

Olde Dame Holly said...

The video worked perfectly. I love the dancing light, and it seems magical! I like the misplaced apostrophe in that sign. Spelling and syntax were not always so rigorous as they pretend to be today! Your large witch silhouette is incredible.