Saturday, January 29, 2022

The Elusive Anna Bolen...

I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in my heart,
and forever it will stay.


The elusive Anna Bolen...
...not to be confused with Anne Boylen (who probably should have been a bit more elusive).
Anyway - Long story short:  I stitched this piece sometime before WWR but, true to form, I did not "fully" finish it and it must have gotten packed away in one of the many boxes that still haunt my lower level - just another casualty of WWR.  
Unlike a few other things that I recently "found" while excavating in my basement, I had actually remembered doing this stitching and kept looking for it each time I brought out the hearts for the season.  My mind's eye actually "saw" her completely finished and it puzzled me that I could not find her.
Then, a few months back, I unearthed several "finds" in an ambiguously marked box "down there."
And there was Anna.  
She was not fully finished (as in my recollections of her), but there she was nonetheless. 
I had already stitched the little coverlet heart on the front and had wrapped the remaining coverlet around her before she was entombed, so I did not have to search for a backing fabric.


***Unfortunately, I do not remember whose design this is, or what flosses I used, but I do know it is stitched on lightly distressed Osnaburg.  If any of you know whose design it is, please let me know so I can give proper credit.***
***UPDATE!*** "arcadia" suggested this might be one of Jenny Hoffman's (Country Rustic Primitives) designs.  I had suspected this, but could not find it and did not think to message her.  I since have, and she confirmed that this is her design.  The pattern is currently listed in her Etsy shop.  (If you search for it, it is named "I Wrote Your Name" and not "Anna Bolen."} Thanks "arcadia"!

In other news, I have decided I do not like pink. It's one of those things that just isn't for everyone.  Funny because, when my sister married and left home, I was so excited that I would have her teeny tiny room at the top of the stairs (hey, it was better than sleeping in the "big" room that was part of a storage area and had no doors).  After much pleading, my parents bought me some pink paint and I painted the room pink.  (It was about the only color that would go with the gross linoleum flooring.)  
It was the first and last time I was allowed to paint ANYTHING.

But I digress - that's another story for another time. As I said, I have fallen out of love with pink and so am giving away this punch needle heart and the two coordinating fabric hearts (they reverse so you can display with the solid fabric or the polka dot fabric).
They aren't as "white" as they appear in the photo, as the fabrics have been lightly distressed.  They are lightly stuffed and all three have jute hangers.


If you are interested, just comment on this post (and this post only)...or send me an email with "pink" in the subject line. Please, no sharing on social media, etc.
If there is more than one of you who would like to adopt these, I will randomly choose a winner on Thursday, February 3rd. That person must contact me within 3 days or someone else's name will be chosen. I cannot guarantee that they will get to the winner by Valentine's Day, but I will try.

And, lastly, I intended to post my latest read in my last post, but totally forgot about it. (There's a lot of "last/lateness" in that last sentence 😆).  This is what it was (I've since finished it and moved on...I will share that one next time):


My abbreviated review: I am a bit equivocal about it.  It is a debut novel and has some typical sophomoric "issues" (what happened to good copyediting??) and the "plot" was a bit trite....but there were a few surprises along the way...ok, not along the way...at the end...but even that should not have been totally unexpected.  Probably the most interesting thing I can say about it is that it made me remember the difference between a "sanatorium" and a "sanitarium."  (If you don't care to look it up, essentially a "sanatorium" is a facility for long-term physical illnesses (e.g., tuberculosis) while a "sanitarium" is a long-term care facility for those suffering from mental illnesses.
If you like Lifetime mystery shows, you'll enjoy it.
In my defense, it was left at a friend's house and I "inherited" it.

It is hard to believe that there are only 2 more days left in this wretched month. (I detest January and February if you didn't know.)
I hope those in the path of the winter storm out east stay safe and warm. (Saundra...the cleanup can wait until spring.)
Happy Weekend!

26 comments:

arcadia said...

I got the same pattern from a shop named "country rustic primitives" on Etsy... maybe it's the name of the designer ? :-)

Saundra said...

Have no fear as the snow has stopped and the weather folks were wrong. Ended up with 8-10 inches and not the 14-18 predicted. Sure doesn't seem like an enjoyable read to me I'd rather be hooking, lol. But to each her own, I'll pass on the heart thanks.

Lady Locust said...

I am not a lover of pink either, but it does have it's place I s'pose. I do have to say February is a dear month. I need to get my St. V Day menu put together- chocolate making time :-)

coke said...

LOVE PINK...Bring on the hearts... LOL They are very pretty I think... lol Would love to own... SANDI.

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Pink is ok! I’m interested! We’re still mid-storm but looks like 12+ inches in the end?
My hubby has copyedited a couple books. I share the same bugaboo as you. If I own a book I will mark up the issues!

Julia said...

Your little pink heart is sweet but I'll pass.

I love your Anna Bolen Valentine cross stitch and the message it holds. I'm glad you found it. I like it when a lost treasure is found.

The book sounds like a rivetting kind of suspense novel I would like to read especially on a cold wintery night like we're having right now, in a cozy lounge chair by the fire. Enjoy your read.

Take care, stay warm and cozy.
Hugs, Julia

Prims By The Water said...

Not a pink fam myself either. Never have liked it. I am sure someone will comment that they would like it. Do however love your latest stitchery and so glad you finally found it. Try to stay warm my friend. Janice

Farm Girl said...

What a cute post, and I am not a fan of pink. My office is pink, which will be painted sometime this year. I like the story of your pink, tiny,room.
Your book looks interesting. I am glad you have been finding things you packed away. You have made some awesome things. I enjoy seeing your handiwork so much.
I hope you have a very,very nice evening.

WoolenSails said...

LOL, not a pink lover either, but I do use prim pinks, more in the rose shade. Usually I just antique it to brown it down. Love your stitchery piece, sometimes I think about doing some small pieces, love the look as bowl fillers.

Debbie

acorn hollow said...

I have not been reading much lately I go through periods of not much reading. and I have a stack of books some of my customers at work think I should read. Husband and I have been watching Danglish and loving it so I think I will pick up a P.D. James book. I just love his quiet poet from Scotland Yard.
I will pass on the hearts. I like pink I just don't need one more thing in this already full house. lol
Cathy

Anni said...

I have similar hearts. Í don't like winter months, period!! February 9th is my birthday, but that doesn't make the month any better.

Enjoyed the I wrote your name in my heart.

(My grown daughter LOVES pink.)

Rugs and Pugs said...

I am so NOT a pink person, so please pass on to someone who is a pink lover. And can you believe I have a HUGE bathroom with pink plastic tile? Was going to do something with it years ago and it still hasn't happened...sigh.
Now if you are giving away your cross stitch...you are more than welcome to enter me in to that drawing...lol!!!

Jan Hebert said...

I love that you found your cross stitch - I have been looking for a stash of hand dyed cross stitch linen in various colors for months. Still no luck. I can't imagine what happened to them! Makes me so sad, I have a couple of patterns that I'd like to work on but it kills me to order new linen! I love that little heart made from a coverlet and to use it as backing is very sweet. Not sure about the book, I'm having a hard time concentrating enough to read much lately. Oh! The storm! Wow, it was a doozy here in Topsfield! Lots of drifting snow and the wind was crazy but we didn't lose any trees for which I am thankful. My daughter in Scituate got lots of snow and flooding in the area but her street was spared. She lives about 300 feet from the ocean and could hear the roar of the waves even late last night after most of the storm had ended. Enjoy the rest of your weekend... Jan in MA

Sentimentally Yours By Jaime said...

Love the pink hearts... Hearts are something I cherish all year long. I bet you loved that room with your pink walls and pink floor. Bravo to you :) I loved the Ann Bolen pattern and purchased it. Thank you for the wonderful shares.

Jean Elliott said...

Oh my..the pink hearts!! I must admit at 74 I still decorate my bedroom in pink! I love the hearts!

tll6601 said...

I'd love to have one of your pretty pink hearts! Thanks for sharing the Ann Bolen pattern.
Teresa Lass

Jo said...

I love your hearts, I am not a big fan of pink either but I do like a little pink for Valentine’s Day!

yaya said...

The pink hearts are cute but I'll pass. I'm betting there are many bloggers hoping to get them! I think I need to start posting the books I've read and enjoyed. I like buying books but feel bad when I'm done and don't want them sitting on the shelf! I think the library will take them or a local thrift shop. I hope who ever gets them doesn't mind the occasional chocolate smear on a page! Ha! The forecast says a big storm is heading our way on Wednesday into Thursday. But first a warmup so I'll enjoy that little gift first! I'm so happy to see January gone and I know February is the shortest month with the worst weather and it seems longer. My bday is the last day of Feb. and it will usher in the last year of my 60's...feeling a bit old. Have a good week!

susan hemann said...

I hate January too! And all this snow and bitterly sub-zero temps have exhausted my patience.
I've been forcing bulbs, I miss my garden

Bama Planter said...

Thus, in addition to Salem ancestors, we both detest January and February. So does my sister on the Gulf Coast ( where they SUFFER temps as low as 50 sometimes ! ) We say that if can live through January and February, we are good for the rest of the year. My Old South library is PINK and BLUE. I'm writing a short blog post just for you today to prove it ! I appreciate your being one of about 5 people who read my blog ! Marshel in Alabama ( since 1814 ) Put me in the PINK drawing !!! GoneToAlabama@aol.com

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

I can't say as pink is to my liking either, but we have two sweet grand-daughters who love it. They are 8 and 5....that's what little girls are made of. We gave them some of my Mom's old jewelry this weekend and they were tickled 'pink" hahaha
I definitely could do without January and February as well. This year has been especially depressing and cold. Just keep plugging along and before we know it, Spring will be here ( I hope).

Tina said...

I LOVE pink! Funny how colors affect us. It's the main reason I cross stitch. Color. Thank you for having this give way and keeping us entertained through your blog. Tina Grace

Hill Top Post said...

Your beautiful stitched piece is perfect with the oh-so-wonderful penny rug vignette. I don't do much pink either, but must confess that a bit more has been creeping into my sewing and gardening as of late.

Primitive Stars said...

Morning Crow, I find your posts very comforting and find myself reading many over and over again….. I love hearts and pink, I would give them a good and loving home…..We are in a Alberta Clipper as I write this, they are fast and furious leaving lots of snow so it’s a stay indoors kinda day….. take care, February Blessings Francine��

marly said...

Holy heart punch. Are you crazy? They are wonderful!! Dip 'em till you like 'em! I've given away so many items I regret losing. Too late for your offer but still time to scold!

Olde Dame Holly said...

I have to admit that I dearly love the color pink. I go back and forth between whether I love shell pink or its bluer cousins best, but I definitely love PINK! Strangely, I find that I am liking colors I used to dislike, too. Adoring powder blue is a shock! What a generous giveaway you had!