Thursday, February 24, 2022

Playdate at Red Barn Rugs

{The red barn at Red Barn Rugs}

Somewhere down the back roads of the farthest reaches of Nod, during the cold, snowy, and blustery days of February's end, seven (somewhat) like-minded people came together for three days of camaraderie, shenanigans, wool fondling (a LOT of wool fondling), shenanigans, amazing food, shenanigans, and a little (rug) hooking.

I am not sure why I didn't get better photos as I certainly wasn't busy hooking, but I am sharing what photos I did remember to take.

Cindy's start on "Cabbage Rose" (a Red Barn Rugs design):

Cindy was also working on a tribute rug to her furever beloved Holly:

A close-up:

Barb was building a fluffy sheep:

Although she was one of the main shenanigators, she had made good progress by the end of the three days:

Nancy (a native South Carolinian who came all the way from Minn-eh-sota) was also a main shenanigator - but she also got top honors for wool fondling (and thievery).  She was working on Cathy's (the genius behind Red Barn Rugs) new "Colonial Eagle" design:
{Sorry for the wonky photo...Nancy's from Minnesota don'tcha know?}

She also got some help with finishing touches for her "Winter Berries" sheep:

Just look at that face!

Mel (mostly) behaved and so got a lot done on "Bossie."  I love her spotted cow (a tribute to the famous brew from a certain brewery in New Glarus.  Hey, it's a Wisconsin thing.)  (And Mel, you are so right: Dogs ought really not have 5 legs. 😂)
{"Bossie" by Jill Peterson}

Lisa joined us on the last day only.  I know she brought more rugs with her, but these were the only two I caught photos of:
{Does this look familiar?? It should...it's an antique adaptation that Saundra of Woodland Junction (relatively) recently hooked and she drew this pattern (which she calls "White Horse With Scrolls") for Lisa.}

...and
{A Carol Weatherman (Pine Island Primitives) design...not sure of the name.}
{LOVE that walkway wool!!}

Cathy (in the rare moments when she was not quelling shenanigans helping the minions or busy making the best "lunches" EVER) was working on her newest design, "Colonial Eagle:"
{I am so doing this one!!}

My sincere apologies to Ellen....I did not get a photo of her rug, but she was also working on Cathy's new "Colonial Eagle."

As for me, well, yes, I was one of the main wool fondlers but I KNOW someone (you know who you are) will ask what I worked on.  I am not sure there was actually any true progress since I spent most of my time trying to figure out if the wool I had stuffed in with this project (the many years ago I put it aside) actually went with this project.
Yikes.

Oh...and there was a wee bit of puppy fondling going on too.  🐶
{Cindy snuggling with Cathy's Raffi}

*******

I have neglected to mention my "reads" in the last few posts and know I have missed some...but this is the one I just finished up:

Jodi Picoult is one of my very favorite authors.  I was riveted to this book as tightly as I have been to her others but, in this case, it was likely more because of the setting and backstory: Egypt and Egyptology.
(Archaeology/Anthropology was one of my very first loves.  It was my primary degree in college and I actually toyed with Egyptology as a specialty - but that, once again, is another story for another time.)
As with her previous books, Picoult takes on a timely social issue in The Book of Two Ways:  In this case, she centers the plot around the ancient Egyptian "Book of Two Ways" often found in ancient tombs which is essentially a guidebook or map for the afterlife, but makes it a metaphor for the choices we make while on earth.
Would I recommend it? Yes...but with the proviso that you might not like it as much as I did unless you, too, are a closet Egyptologist.

*******

Now...back to the shenanigans.





27 comments:

acorn hollow said...

How wonderful you get to enjoy like-minded wool fondlers! I have the pattern you are working on tucked away for another time so I will be interested in your finish. Lots of wonderful rugs are in progress in that group. How I need to get away with other hookers they are just the best!
I used to read Jodi a lot but moved away from her books to many books and not enough time. When you work in a bookstore someone is always giving you a must-read book. I have just signed up at our library to borrow online. I hope to do audio books while I am hooking.
thank you for taking with you
cathy

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

How simply divine to have some playtime with your fellow shenanigators. I have to admit to falling in love with the winter berries sheep, so sweet. I have been busy of late and have not had time to put much on my blog, which I must remedy. I surely have heaps to tell? Keep well my friend.

Dicky Bird said...

I know that view too...of Cathy's barn. Her third floor wool stash, her wonderful lunches....yes! She is the one who taught me how to needle felt. She is so talented! All of the projects look amazing!

Saundra said...

Oh boy did I enjoy this blog post with the wonderful rugs and the warm feeling of sisterhood. Yeah, I know who I am, lol, and would have asked where your rug was had you not shown us. Will be excited to see it finished as I love it so far.

Jan Hebert said...

Oh how I miss shenanigans! And wool fondling! And friendship, camraderie (and shenanigans!). What a great time you must have had. Those rugs are really amazing. I love them all but especially Winter Berries! I'm looking for something to work on once my oriental style punched rug is put back on the to-do pile. I'd like to say once it's finished but I know that's not likely to happen! Your "welcome kitties" rug is going to be wonderful. I love your colors! Happy you got away, now back to watch the coverage on the war in Ukraine, praying for those people. Jan in MA

Farm Girl said...

I will raise my hand in the closet Egyptology category. I remember when I was teaching my kids and one year they asked, "Mom can we do something else besides Egypt?" I totally understand.
Your rug is beautiful!!! I really like that. I am so glad you went to the Red Barn and met up with like minded ladies. What fun!! Beautiful barn too. That is a lot of snow. We have a couple of inches and the world shuts down here.
Lovely, lovely rugs!
Going to something like that is in my Someday list.
I hope you have the best day.

Jean E. said...

I love this post! I'm going to google "The Red Barn"..I'd love to find a place to go for a gathering!

Julia said...

Hi Robyn, I've heard of the Red Barn before from rug hookers' blogs but I don't
recall seeing an actual hook-in from there. Cathy sure has a lot of wool to choose from. Lucky you that's it's not too far from your place. It looks like so much fun.

I can just imagine all the shenanigans and fun you girls had and also why you didn't get much hooking done. I recognized your rug with all the untidy ends, no judgment here... just my observation, hehehe. I'm anal-retentive with my little ends and I have to cut them off immediately. It may be because I was taught that way, but honestly, I don't even remember. lol... I took basic rug hooking classes shortly after my chemo and radiation and my brain cells were just about cooked. lol... It's good seeing you hook again. I need to pick up my hook again. I'm just about finished with my baby blanket but with all that was going on in our Capital City this February, my rug has been collecting dust. I just couldn't concentrate on how to rehook what I pulled out. I hope it calls me soon.

Take care and stay well.
Hugs, Julia




Constance said...

I loved all of the beautiful rugs. Thank you for the tip on the book. I too studied Egyptology in my youth. Back in that time my family nearly went nuts as women we're not cut out for that line of study. It never stopped my love for Egyptology and I will definitely be reading that book.

Tina said...

Beautiful works of art! Thank you for sharing! Tina

Hootin Anni said...

Wow, wow, wow!! I am so impressed. You gals are so inspiring! I personally wouldn't know BEANS on where to begin...but, the talents really shine here! And would love all the funhad by all. Good food too?!!

Now, tell me is that red barn a rug/wall art, really?

I'm in awe of it all.

Hootin Anni said...

Ps...I wanna say I'm good at fondling too...but, that entail a whole 'nother kinda comment. 😉

NMK said...

Wow !!!!! Just beautiful rugs ! Love them all , but that Sweet Lamb's face Got Me !!! What amazing fun your visit to Red Barn must have been !!! The wool room looks incredible !!! Just a wonderful experience !!! Your rug is great ...beautiful wools !!!

Come join the challenge rug with Saundra's group & Betsy ...would be fun to have you too !!!

Wish I was a reader , but have too many things to do , like walking , hooking & playing with my Grand kids & my dog ....LOL

Loved this post !!!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

FUN, FUN, FUN!!! I love Cathy...but you know that.
Winter Berries...wowzer...and Cathy's new eagle pattern. Swoon.
That hook of yours needs to get busy.

Prims By The Water said...

Well that Winter Berries is just awesome! So is that eagle pattern. I can see why not much got done with everyone having a great time...er shenanigans! Your rug is looking good too! Janice

oldgreymareprimitives said...

I love everything that you showed us, but mostly I love that you got away with good friends and had fun <3

marly said...

So glad you had a gathering with friends and got some fondling time in. That eagle design is impressive. I still can't grasp those fat strips going through fine fabric to become even textural loops that vary in direction and create movement.

Ancient Egypt is fascinating, never heard of the book found in tombs. So it is a guide to navigate the afterlife? And the author knows this because .... someone informed them? I need to Google this.

Hill Top Post said...

What a wonderful way to spend three cold, snowy, and blustery February days. There are so many beautiful pieces here. How could one choose a favorite? However, I do love a nice wooly cat!

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Judging by the number of wistful replies there are many who are eager to create wooly masterpieces with our funny friends again. Lucky you!! I love all of the rugs. I’ve hooked one like you’re doing but without the welcome. I’ve not read Picoult but I’ve long wanted a Nile cruise… Have you read In Small Things Forgotten by James Deetz? Just a great look at the “mundane” objects of early American households found in digs.
Speaking of, hubby works at a university and has linked us up with a colleague who is doing a dig in Maine this summer. Guess who is going down to get dirty?! Yay!

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Love the idea of a winter retreat - you are blessed to be able to attend. Looks like such fun in this cold and snowy time.

yaya said...

I don't know a thing about being a hooker but gathering with friends in the North Woods and having fun is something I can get behind! Plus in a lovely Red Barn...perfect! I'm glad you had fun and the rugs are amazing! Stay warm and I hope spring arrives soon. We just had an ice storm and now it's snowing. I'm over it! Ha! Take care!

susan hemann said...

It sounds like you had a great time. I would be touching all the wool too! lol, I cannot find her wool patterns!
Where you talking about, I can't remember her name, her blog Rugsand Pugs? She finishes so many rugs! Lauren, I remembered! She lives close to me.
I searched Red Barn Rugs and there were a few pics of rugs but that was it.

WoolenSails said...

It sounds like a fun group to gather with and alll are working on beautiful rug designs, as well as yours.

Debbie

Jennie in GA said...

What a beautiful scene…that red barn against the white snow. Sounds like you had a grand time. Nice rugs, too. I especially love Cathy’s new one. Hope you got your wool figured out…hate it when that happens. It is hard enough try to figure out where you were going with a rug long tucked away….and I might just have more than one. Hard to go backwards. So many rugs, so little time.

Primitive Stars said...

Happy March Crow, what fun at the red barn winter retreat… so many wonderful rugs, talent abound… I’m not good at wool fondling but that cute dog would have been fondled by me, lol… love the shenanigans, I’m also good at that…. So happy for you to attend…thanks for sharing, Blessings Francine❤️,

Farmhouse prims said...

What a beautiful barn and such a fun place to get together with others.
So glad you had a wonderful time. Loved seeing all the beautiful projects. Hugs, Lecia

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog