Thursday, March 31, 2022

The Visitor....


I sensed you before I saw you....


Stepping coyly from the shadows of the wood...


The starkness of the white pronounced in the deepening gloaming;


All the colors of the spectrum combined into something purer.


You acknowledged me and, though your companion retreated, you came toward me - self-assured and unafraid.
You stopped within a comfortable distance and seemed content to continue grazing while I sat on my porch watching - my hands becoming stiff with the cold and my eyes struggling to adjust to the thickening dark. 


When the dusk turned inky, you lifted your head to me and then to the wood, and slowly turned and made your way back.
I watched you and even thought I saw you turn back to look at me one last time ...and then you slipped into the shadows from where you came.

{*A few months back, I posted about my first sighting of a white stag. (That post can be found here.) Initially I thought this was the same deer and I had been mistaken about it being a stag.  However, I went back and looked at the photos from that day...both the ones on the post and the others I had not posted and I am still convinced that that was, in fact, a buck.  If you look at the photos from the first post, poor as they are, you can definitely see antlers. And while bucks typically shed their antlers here from January to February, this deer has an entirely smaller, more delicate, frame than the first. Also, the first deer seemed more mature in keeping its distance...this one seemed naive in her innocence and lack of inhibition in my presence. 
 Mayhap there is more magic in Nod than I give it credit for.}


 

23 comments:

WoolenSails said...

What an amazing experience, she is beautiful.
We have a few deer, but haven't seen them in awhile.

Debbie

Sandra said...

I was going to say exactly the same, what an amazing experience, quite magical, lucky you.

Hootin Anni said...

Now this is phenomenal!!!

...but, being that it's April Fool's Day?!!!

acorn hollow said...

wow so ghost like what a special sight you were lucky enough to see
Cathy

Dicky Bird said...

I was mesmerised by your words as much as the photos. You have a gift for pulling out the deep...in all you write. I enjoy it so much.

Lady Locust said...

How absolutely stunning and mystical. Nod is indeed a magical place ~

Julia said...

You live in a magical place, Robin. This is so amazing. And your words are magical too. What a talent for expressing your thoughts in written words. You have such a poetical talent.

I hope that they come to visit your place again and again.

Take care dear Robin.
Hugs,
Julia

Saundra said...

How special you are to be shown such beauty not once but twice. Nod must be a magical place. Gave me chills as soon as I saw the first photo and remembered it from your blog post previously.

NMK said...

Wow , just incredible , you are so lucky to see this beautiful Deer ....totally magical !

Farm Girl said...

That is so cool!! Like a special gift to you! It does give me chills.
It is what legends are made of, I am so glad you were able to get photographs.

Heritage Hall said...

Both photos and moving words are so ethereal. Thank you for sharing this
meaningful experience so we might experience it also.

Rugs and Pugs said...

WOW! WOW! WOW!

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Amazing that you caught sight of it too! What an experience!!!

marly said...

So you are chosen to not only view one, but two? We knew you were special. So difficult to hide from predators when you glow in the dark.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Such a wonderful connection, very special.

Hill Top Post said...

Wow! These rare sightings are almost magical. I know you will be watching for this beautiful creature to return.

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Oh my, what a beautiful photo and your description makes me feel like I'm there seeing it as well. That's truly amazing...I have never seen anything like it. Magical is right...

J.P. Alexander said...

Que bello ciervo es muy bello. Te mando un beso. Enamorada de las letras

Primitive Stars said...

Evening Crow, I am spellbound! What a beautiful sight to behold, How lucky are you to see and from sitting on your porch. Thank you for sharing this rare beautiful sight again of these stunning white deer… warm blessings Francine��

yaya said...

That is so cool! I think there is magic everywhere if we're lucky enough to catch it! Wonderful photos of an amazing creature. I'll have to ask my brother if he's ever seen any on his property. His place is for sale BTW. He and my sister-in-law want to move closer to my niece. Have a good, magical weekend!

Tina said...

Absolutely beautiful! Makes me calm inside. Thank you for sharing.

The Liberty Belle said...

I had to look at the previous post featuring the white stag. It was a good post and so is this one!

Jan Hebert said...

I had missed this post, so glad I looked at it and didn't just delete it. Wow! It is so cool that you've seen not one but two white deer! They must be related? Or maybe Nod is enchanted!? Jan in MA