Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Nary a Hare Anywhere

 ...well, almost.

{Vintage/Antique Rabbit Candy Containers}

Here we are...four days (plus or give a smidge depending on when I actually finish this post) before Easter, and my bunnies and other other Easter accoutrements are, for the most part, still staring at the inside of their dark totes and boxes.

Blame the tax man...and any other man you can find.

So, before I run out of time completely, here are a (pathetic) few that managed to be liberated for the season.

{Spun Cotton Bunny Child}

{Folk For All Seasons Sculpted Rabbit}

{Saltglaze Bunnies}

(Ok, ok...I cheated on that last one...those bunnies live there all year long.)
  
And that's it.  C'est ça!

As far as my pastime endeavors go, I have even less to share.


 I don't know what made me look this up, but it cracked me up....until I realized that what I have to show for my "pastime" really fits the definition of "past time" more aptly:  Something that should have happened or been done by now. 

I have stitched some, but it's too wrinkled at this point to share...and, no, I'm not pressing it.  
I have hooked some too, but you really probably can't tell.  (And there's even less hooked now since I did a bit of reverse hooking after this photo was taken.)


And, yes, it...and my stitching project...should have been done by now.

*******

Last, but not least in the pastime department, my book report for those of you interested:


"The Woman Who Smashed Codes" is quite a ways out of my typical "lane" but it was fascinating.  It is the, until now, untold story of a remarkable woman who played an integral part in our country's history.  Elizebeth Smith Friedman was a young Quaker poet with a true enthusiasm for Shakespeare.  She was lured to the extraordinary and sometimes magical estate of an eccentric tycoon to assist in deciphering codes he (and actually many others) believed were hidden within the texts of Shakespeare by Francis Bacon, the "true" author of the texts.  (Ok....)
When World War I broke out, Elizabeth's language skills were put to use by the government and, ultimately, she, and her husband, developed the modern science of cryptology (code breaking).  
These skills were honed over time and she assisted not only in apprehending smugglers during Prohibition but breaking the leading Nazi spy ring and shaping the course of the second world war.
{Elizebeth Smith Friedman and her husband, William Friedman}

While the book is filled with a great deal of history and technical background to the art and science of codebreaking, Elizebeth's fascinating life and the author's adept skill at non-fictional narrative made for an enjoyable read.
Again, not for everyone, but a nice "break" if you find yourself in a reading rut.

*******

Now back to taxes...and macaroons.
   

19 comments:

NMK said...

Oh your Bunny collection is awesome !!!! Wonderful pieces !!! And "Pastime" has been me lately !!! I am just doing a little of this & nothing has been finished ! LOL
I have to tell my daughter about the book you read , think she would love it !

Have a Happy Easter !!!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your bunnies...and spun cotton bunny child...be still my heart. There is nothing pathetic about your display or collection. You just have THE BEST stuff!!!
It is past time for me to be working on Sauder stuff...and that's not a fun pastime. ARGH!

Saundra said...

Your rabbit collection is wonderful and don't ever recall seeing it before. Love, love those sculpted rabbit hangings. And it is quite nice to see your Welcome cats rug back in the limelight.

Julia said...

It's good to see a post from you. I have several posts in draft and that's where they stayed. Why? I haven't figured that out yet, lol... Maybe it's because I'm a pro at castinating.

I love your bunny collections. I haven't brought mine out because it's just me and George. He's not interested in bunnies, not the four-legged one anyway, lol...

Ah yes, the taxman. I was listening to the Taxman song. Taxman (Remastered 2009). It says it all. We'll get our done after Easter as it's due in May and the farm business is due in June.

You should take that Welcome Cats rug with you to hook with a group. I did just that yesterday. I was invited to join a group by Kimm Moore of Sheepunderfeet blog and I worked on my Madonna. I had a very enjoyable evening with a group of wonderful women. The two hours went by so fast. We'll meet for hooking twice a month.

I've heard of Elisabeth Smith Friedman. She had an unusual talent and it was put to good use.

Take care and stay well. Happy Easter.
Hugs,
Julia

Julia said...

How could I have passed by those macaroons? Yummy. Macaroons have no calories during tax time.
Julia

acorn hollow said...

Oh my goodness those candy container bunnies!!! and the salt glazed bunnies. I am glad I don't have my decorations out I would be embarrassed.
Book sounds interesting I am reading a historical fiction of the woman who helped split the atom.
Love your rug I had that pattern now where is it??
Happy Easter
Cathy

yaya said...

I have decorations out for Easter but they don't seem as cool as yours! Since we're going to celebrate on Greek Easter...April 24th...I have another week to prepare. I have lots of bunnies around the house and the funny thing is Jack is super allergic to the real ones! Thankfully mine won't hurt him! Have a good rest of the week!

WoolenSails said...

What a wonderful collection of bunnies. The book sounds interesting, I do love true life stories.
Wonderful rug that you are working on, I still need to finish binding mine.

Debbie

Hootin Anni said...

Did a certain someone say they will share some macaroons?

That is one of my favorite genres...historical fiction. And I find I often read non-fiction when it pertains to women from our past. Will have to find this book.

Your Easter/bunnies are terrific. Each and all. (The one in your header is the one I favor)

Happy Easter Robin.

Primitive Stars said...

Morning Crow, you have the greatest collections I think, I love the bunny candy containers so much. Always enjoy my time spent with you, you leave me wanting more… wishing you a very Happy Easter. ( we are in the middle of a blizzard so my Easter ain’t happy). Hugs Francine.

marly said...

No bunnies here. It was always too traumatic for them to see their buddies in chocolate dismembered.

I don't care if it was Shakespeare or Bacon, I never understood or enjoyed the read.

But the macaroons I made after Au Bon Pain, became one of our favorites. Just little bits of cranberry, little almond pieces, dipped in dark chocolate.

Enjoy Easter weekend CC.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

That book sounds fascinating - I think I shall give it a try. And your bunnies are lovely - Happy Easter

oldgreymareprimitives said...

You still win- I put out only three easter style (all I have left) but I do have three permanently displayed near plants and I just added a mama duck and babies to the garden> I try hard not to "add" but only remove, but I did give two tubs of stuff to a friend's assistance league so I guess no penalty called.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Robin you always share such wonderfully whimsical collections. Right up my street. Your salt glaze bunnies are sooooo sweet. Quite often I see things on your posts and I'm straight on to Ebay to search. I suspect I will be looking for said bunnies any minute now. Have a fab Easter. xx

Prims By The Water said...

Dont get me started on taxes. Just mailed out my checks to the state and government this morning. Yes we pay every year with our businesses. UGH I do not remember you having salt glaze bunnies and I so love them! Most of my bunnies never made it out tis year either. Hope you have a fantastic Easter my friend! Janice

Jan Hebert said...

Wow, that's just a few of your collection? They are wonderful! But I especially love your cat rug! I think I'll look for that pattern. The book sounds interesting too! Happy Easter Robin... Jan in MA

Dicky Bird said...

I finally raised the white flag and just gathered whatever papers I could find and took them to the tax man....I have thought of several things I forgot, but who knows where the "papers" for it are...I start out every year so organized, but like a 7 we often don't complete things. Your bunnies are great, mine are in the basement this year...why bother, it's still snowing.... Your rug looks great! Have a wonderful weekend and Easter.

Farm Girl said...

What a great sounding book!! I love books about Code breakers. I will look into that one for sure. Your bunnies are just wonderful. I love your salt glazed ones and I would leave them out too. I hope you have a wonderful Easter.
I have been AWOL. I have been finishing up projects. I think it puts my brain into a deep freeze.
Bye for now,
Kim

Heritage Hall said...

Your spun cotton bunny child just stole my heart...and I recall that book or another about her a few years ago.... was theirs an interesting love match? something of it echoes in my memory. Hope you are keeping and being "up"..Spring....