Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Bibliography of a Witch


As many of you know, I have a direct "ancestral" connection with the Salem Witch Trials and I, therefore, read a great deal about them.
I have a recollection of someone, at some point, asking me for recommendations for books of that genre and me replying that I would put together a list for them.

Dear Someone: I confess that I forgot about that promise...and, yes, even who you are. I hope you will overlook my absent-mindedness of late.

Better late than never they say.  And I'm as good as they get in that regard.
Because I cannot remember precisely to whom I promised this, I am posting a list here in the hopes that you will find it.
This is, obviously, not a comprehensive list...there are more books written about this subject than...well, fill in the blanks, and it seems a new book is written every day.  (Imagine that...330 years later.)
It is not even a complete list of such books in my personal "library" (nor does the photo of the shelf of books show all those books or even all the books in the list below).
But it is a place to start.
The titles with an asterisk before the title are ones that stand out to me as ones I like/found helpful, etc.  It all depends upon how "serious" you want to get.
Francis Hill is a favorite of mine on this subject - even her fictional accounts are historically accurate due to her extensive research and knowledge on the subject.
 



I hope Someone finds some value in this.

(And a Happy and Blessed, albeit belated, Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends and followers.)


15 comments:

oldgreymareprimitives said...

I was told my great grandmother Mamer was a witch- My mom told me many tales of folks who visited her for aid - esp pregnant women. She had passed before I was born and I know nothing of her, save for a couple photos. One of which is atop that brown apothecary.

I wish I had asked my grandmother about her but she passed when I was eight and of course I had no interest then.

If we only knew when we were little what we would like to know when we grow old. I try to leave crumbs to follow for my own children.

Julia said...

It's that time of year again when we start to think about this sort of stuff. Unlike you, I have no historical connection to witchcraft but I can't help but feel sorry for those who were witch-hunted for no reason at all.

I hope that you are enjoying the fall before the winter comes.
The colors are getting prettier every day but to tell you the truth, I don't like the cold crisp morning because my bones and hands hurt.

Take care dear friend and stay warm.
Hugs,
Julia

marly said...

I love that font and paper.

Hootin Anni said...

I have read a lot of Gregory's novels and enjoyed them. I will have to search for the book you listed (fiction).

We have a few books in our library on the subject of Salem, will have to look and see if ones we have are on your list. Thanks for this Robin.

Curious tho...your direct ancestor in connection to the trials??!!!!

Hootin Anni said...

Ps love that doll on the shelf!!!

acorn hollow said...

As you know I work in a used bookstore and a very old paperback on the Salem witch trials came in when I get to work I will have to find out what the title is.
Cathy

Saundra said...

Interesting that Cathy's store just received a copy of a paperback and wonder if it is among the most prized by your standards.

yaya said...

I'm planning a trip to Salem next year. I've been wanting to go forever! Hopefully I'll be able to next year in the Fall!

Rugs and Pugs said...

That is an impressive list!

Hill Top Post said...

I also love the doll on your shelf. You have a fabulous collection, and no doubt are quite knowledgeable on this subject, which I still can't believe really happened.

Farm Girl said...

What a nice shelf of books. I am sure they are all friends. It always is so nice to see things around your house.
I hope you are enjoying this season.
Its still in the 90s. :( I haven't even seen fall yet and I noticed that its snowing in someplace in Wisconsin today.

Primitive Stars said...

Morning Sweet Crow, wonderful collection of books there and my eyes were drawn to the doll, love her. It’s such a fascinating subject I have to say, those papers are wonderful…. It’s that magical time of year, I so love it! I’ve settled in our new home and think I’m ok with it. Thank goodness for the balcony as I find myself sitting out there often. Nice view of pines and trees I must say, Chickadee’s, Woodpeckers come to my feeders which bring me much joy. And I have to add there are many crows also that bring me comfort as I think of you, I always say hello Crow, your watching over me aren’t you… wishing you a cozy Saturday, Francine.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

I'm sure the person who asked you for help with the Salem literature will find your comprehensive list. Once found, your blog is always returned to. Jean. x

WoolenSails said...

I would love to go up to Salem, but have heard it is mobbed, this time of year.

Debbie

Bama Planter said...

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane is the book I read every year !