Saturday, October 1, 2022

Beloved October

 If I were a month, I am certain I would be October.
Full of contradictions...bittersweet and melancholy...magic and moods,
and carrying color in my pockets.


It happened overnight... Yesterday it was plain ol' September and this morning it was October - the most glorious month of all.
Those green stalks of corn turned brown and dry, and were whisked off the field today.
I will miss them and their secrets.

One would think that since it has been so long between posts I would have a great deal to share...but I don't or at least I don't have the words for it.

I am certain I have accomplished something(s) over the past month, but I would be hard-pressed to quantify them.  There are the "have-to-do's" before the winter that keeping clogging up my to-do list but I am being pulled by the more temptinig "wanna-do's" of fall endeavors.

I did manage to get some tomatoes canned finally.


My back still hasn't forgiven me and Julia puts me completely to shame.

I have not hooked at all; I have stitched a little...but have completely finished nothing.  
The only thing I have to show for the past many weeks in that regard is this little punch needle box:

{Pattern by Teresa's Prim Treasures}

I struggled to get a decent photo - we are losing light so quickly here, but the box is actually a small candle box of sorts with a sliding lid.


I blame the squirrels...I just set my mind to something and it seems squirrels start running rampant and I, of course, have to chase them.

One squirrel safari led me to playing with paper and scissors.  

I had intended on doing stacks of three boxes but have been unable to find the larger ones for the bottom of the stack.
Rats.
So for now, they are stacks of two.
{Black felted acorns}

I have also been working on perfecting the recipe for 2 (and only 2) chocolate chip cookies. (Don't be deceived by the photo, these are MUCH larger and thicker than they look and than a typical cookie.)  Since I don't need to eat an entire batch of cookies by myself, I have been experimenting...but I think I will need to resign myself to making at least 3...these are just a little bit too thick and chewy in the middle. 

I can't believe I just said that.

*******
And, books....there's always room and time for books in my closed-in little world.
As fall settles in and darkens the nights prematurely; and chilly, dreary days bleed into colder and rainier nights, I find it even easier to lose myself in the company of the best friends I've ever had: books.

This is another debut novel by (another) British author (am I getting in a rut, here?)...and I will be reading more of her (well, yes, yes, I am...and I am enjoying the rut at this point in time, thank you very much.) The book was described as a "gothic" novel...but I am not sure why?  Perhaps because of its desolate, isolated, setting...but it's not "gothic" in the way that I think of that term.
Atmospheric, yes. Very.  It's the story of an orphan who comes to live with her new adoptive parents...in a secluded house on the edge of a marsh, all of whom and which hold secrets the young child struggles to understand.
It was good...very good.  And like I said, I will be back for more.

*******

I wish you all a very merrie month of October...Spooking season has officially begun.

Keeping those who suffered the wrath and havoc of Ian in heart and prayers.



15 comments:

Julia said...

Can you believe I was awakened by a little spider who ventured inside my fire alarm which caused it to beep ever so loud? Now I can't go back to sleep so I visited your blog in the dead of the night. I'm glad you posted so I have something interesting to read.

Even though you claim that you haven't accomplished much you, your way with words would make it worthwhile reading your blog. Your blog is never boring and it feels good to come by and visit.

I love your stacking boxes and your little punch needle Halloween cat is just too sweet. Good for you for bottling so many tomatoes. It will feel good to open something that you preserved yourself. A lot of work but so satisfying. I planted 30 plants of tomatoes this spring and I only got about a dozen tomatoes from them because the deers ate them all while they were still green. I had to go to a grower and buy mine to make my spicy salsa.

I wish I could sit still long enough to read a book like years ago but now I only read in bed until I fall asleep. lol. So it takes me a while to finish a book.

I'm going back to bed. Sweet dreams dear friend.
Hugs, Julia


Hootin Anni said...

You say you didn't accomplish much?!! I disagree...that feat of canning tomatoes is truly a work of the dedicated...lots o' work involved. Love the stacked boxes...the blue acorns are pretty and so very unique. Sweet kitty candle box too.

Yes! Finally, October. My favorite month. Enjoy your day, Robin.

yaya said...

You know October is my spirit animal! I love this time of year and the color is slowly coming by. Soon I'll have leaf peeping pics to share. But for now I'll enjoy your lovely blog and words! After canning my tomatoes I know how hard work it is and like Julia said, you'll enjoy it when the snow flies and you think back to summer when they were growing! Your boxes are lovely and the needle work too! That book looks like one I would enjoy and I need something new to start. Have a good Sunday and I'm sure you're like us with chilly weather taking over! Stay warm!

Saundra said...

We've all said it..."you have a wonderful way with words". Oh just feast your eyes on all that lovely soup making canned tomatoes! Wish I had enough sun in an area of my yard where I could grow some during the summer. Sweet Black Cat needle punch. Back in the day I also used to do the covered boxes and now I don't even display them. Merrie October my friend.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Ah Robin I can feel you settling into the new season. I have started making a few things for folks, sitting in front of our log fire is the best space to work. Our tomato glut is being made into zesty warming soups which I'm freezing for colder days ahead. This Samhain we will be doing something special which I promise to share later on. Very exciting. I always like your book reviews. I wonder if you have read the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths? I love the books and wait eagerly for each new publication. The first book in the series is The Crossing PLaces.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your Black Cat punch needle is just too sweet.
I am impressed with your canning. I am embarrassed to admit I have never canned in my life and probably won't start now...lol!
Those boxes! Is there anything you are not good at?
And like everyone says, your way with words...sigh. What a gift.

Hill Top Post said...

"If I were a month..." That's a quote worth saving for the journal, but I shall give you credit. "magic and moods..." I just love it.
And, what about, "and chilly, dreary days bleed into colder and rainier nights..." Sounds a little like Wuthering Heights which is one of my favorite books.
Your vignettes are wonderful, even the canning jars filled to the brim (which you are going to be so thankful for come one of those Wuthering kind of evenings.) And, how sweet is your oh-so-special needle punch box!

Farm Girl said...

How lovely to see your house in the fall. It always fills me with such joy. I really love that field across the street from you. I bet you will miss the whisper of the corn across the road. I love your candle box. You did so many quarts of tomatoes! Great job. Don't you love bottling summer? I am so glad its October. It just makes me think of all of the cozy things I want to accomplish as the nights get here earlier. I hope to get back to blogging, but really, not much going on here.
Nothing I think anyone would like to read. :)
Your book is lovely and I really love that title. Cookies for one? What a great idea, since I can't seem to make anything unless it feeds 100. I have so many cookies, muffins and brownies in my freezer.
I hope you have a beautiful fall and the snow doesn't come too soon. Lovely post Robin, I enjoyed it as always. I always wish you could come and decorate my house.

NMK said...

Beautiful post & everyone's comments are perfectly said ....
I have never been able to grow tomatoes ....they will be delicious this winter ! Love your Black Cat needle punch & neat box !
Happy October to you too !!!

Anonymous said...

Well, hello GF, been thinking of you! Happy October and sending a hug or two! OLM

acorn hollow said...

It looks like you have been very busy! I love your boxes they are wonderful!
And tomatoes how I love them all winter long. My only complaint with October is the darkness comes much to early. I like to take a walk when I get home from work. But it is so hard in the darkness of our road. 2 cookies how do you do that? All that work for 2. freeze the batter into single serve portions and have warm cookies when you want them
Time to pull out my witches hat
Cathy

Prims By The Water said...

You always have the best patterns for stitching, punch needle and rug hooking. I simply love that Black Cat and perfect on the candle box! Kudos for you on canning those tomatoes...more than I have done and as far as Julie, she is a wonder woman when it comes to canning. We watched Hocus Pocus 2 on Friday night and loved it! I hope you get the chance to see it. I dont think I would have the strength to just make 2 cookies, nor just eat two as my fav are chocolate chip. What am I saying...anything chocolate is my bane. Happy October my friend. I just wish it would last longer. Janice

Anonymous said...

Evening Sweet Crow, I also love this magical month October. It makes me happy the warm sunny days and crisp cool nights…..what a pretty view you have, the colours are beautiful…… the candle box cat is perfect, so talented you are as are the round boxes, so sweet, I’ve wanted some like that forever…. I think I’m the only one who welcomes the early darkness as I love candle/lamp glow as is so cozy and I love cozy….You canned a bunch, very impressive, you will enjoy later in the winter months….. wishing you all the spooktacuier joys of October, Autumn Blessings Francine

oldgreymareprimitives said...

Another beautiful and insightful post. But then you seem to always find the words and lend us, your ever faithful readers, a bit of Nod to experience.

I concur- saying you got little done is not true. The smallest tasks are often the most meaningful.

I have never canned, so there ya go, another thing I cannot do. :D

marly said...

Love the candle box. And your covered box sets are great! October ... not so much.
I tried to do the tomato thing and used the manual mill, seeds galore. Need a new plan.
And what the heck are they sitting on? An organic edge stone counter?