Saturday, January 7, 2023

The Blackbird's Visit


Winter has reclaimed Nod as its own...ensconcing it in ice and snow...and endless whiteness. 
I think Nod has always belonged to Winter.


Winter is a taker.
It steals the light from our days, the warmth from our nights, the color from our world.


And this year it also took my beloved mum.

It's been a year of loss for me and Winter has nothing to offer in exchange.

The week before Christmas was spent planning a funeral and the one after, licking already-raw wounds.
No one knew me like my mother...no one ever believed in me like she did...and no one ever loved me like she did.


Of all my siblings, I caused her the most grief and worry.  And while I was perhaps more "independent" than my other siblings, I think, in many ways, I needed her more than the others did.

{Letters I wrote to my mom from Spain that I never knew she saved....}

It should not have surprised me, therefore, when the blackbird came.


I do not believe in coincidences and I do believe our souls live on, yet I was not expecting a message nor a messenger - particularly such an unusual one.

Yet here she was...perched precariously on a mound of snow directly outside my back patio doors while my kitties watched.  In fact, it was the cats' prolonged attention that drew my attention and as I approached the door to look more closely, the blackbird cocked her little head to the side and looked directly at me.

Had it been the proverbial red cardinal that is commonly regarded as heavenly messengers of departed loved ones, I may have made a more immediate connection. Then, again, perhaps not as cardinals are regular visitors here.
But the mysterious blackbird and her unassuming stillness caught me unawares. 

Although blackbirds have not been viewed particularly favorably by Christianity and Judaism, in other cultures (e.g., Egyptian and Japanese), the blackbird is seen as a symbol of the cycle of life and represents rebirth and regeneration.
(On rare occasion, my background in Egyptology has served me well.)

In the spirtual realm, blackbirds are viewed as symbols of transition and transformation, balancing darkness and light.  One can call upon the blackbird when they need spiritual guidance and the blackbird can remind us to use our senses and inner wisdom to understand and adapt to the different aspects of life.  They may appear to prepare us for changes so that we may adapt to those changes and allow us to find happiness in them.  And the blackbird can warn us of the dangers of our past entrapping us.

The blackbird stayed on her mound of snow for a considerable amount of time and only the cats know how long she had been there before I noticed her.
She was not ruffled by kitties, and patiently waited as the unusualness of event slowly sunk in and while I got my glasses and phone and took her photo.
And still she stayed.
Fearing she may be injured, I finally opened the double doors to go out.
Only then did she lift her wings and flit away into the whiteness.

Of course my mother would not choose an ostentatious or common cardinal.

She knew me well.


I love you the most....the end.
xoxo














22 comments:

NMK said...

So sorry for your loss ....loosing your Mother is so difficult , this was a beautiful post . I never knew this about a Black Bird . take care ....

Julia said...

Dear Robin, I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. You are blessed that she loved you so much, and true love never dies. I'm glad that she left you those letters. Are the letters from Spain written in English?

I can't believe the amount of snow that you have already. It really looks like a winter wonderland. However, I hope that spring comes in early for you. It's been a really difficult winter for you. I hope some positive and good things happen for you in the new year.

Amazing about the little blackbird just staying there until you opened the door. I never heard about blackbirds omens but I've heard about ravens. It was probably too cold for a Cardinal to show up in all that snow.

Take care, wishing you hope, strength, and courage my friend.
Hugs
Julia❤️

Saundra said...

Dear Robin, Such an eloquent post. I choked on my tears after reading when the blackbird turned it's head. Am happy you have those letters you sent your mother. Am sorry for your loss yet as adults we know the cycle of life ~ hope you sleep well knowing how well loved you were.

marly said...

Goosebumps do not burn like a tearless cry does. Your beautifully penned post caused both and I am so sorry for your loss. She was obviously so proud of you and cherished those letters.

Continuing to keep you in my daily thoughts.

Hill Top Post said...

I am sorry about the loss of your mother. I miss my mom every single day.

Hootin Anni said...

You have my truest sympathies!!! To lose a best friend and protector (both Mason & Mom) would tear me apart. I still miss my mother (gone nearly 30 years). I find comfort often knowing she suffers no more, and I can smile and laugh at the happy memories. Hope you can with your memories, too, some day.

You have a friend in me.

JustGail said...

I'm sorry about your mother.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

My dear friend, so sorry to hear the news about your Mother. You've had a real ole time of it. Grief is so tough and crushing and we never quite feel the same as we did before when losing our most beloveds. Your visitor gave you some comfort as only creatures can. Winter won't last forever. Sending you some love and light. xx

acorn hollow said...

I am very sorry I am for your loss how pretty she was. And what a treasure to have those letters written so long ago. I lost my mom at Christmas 14 years ago it was so hard when everyone is happy and celebrating and you are drowning in sadness. I am sure you were happy to see the last of 2022. I pray you will find your peace and happiness in 2023. Your blackbird was a gift and wonderful gift how wonderful you recognized it for what it was.
sending a hug
Cathy

Wanda McColl said...

I am so very sorry.

oldgreymareprimitives said...

"blackbird singing in the dead of night"

... all your life. <3

Rugs and Pugs said...

Beautiful tribute to your mom. So very hard.
Hugs to you!!!

Prims By The Water said...

My heart grieves with you my friend. We buried my dad on Christmas Eve in 1993. Never hear of either the cardinal or blackbird story, so I appreciated you telling us about them. My thoughts and prayers go out to you, Janice

Donna said...

So sorry fr the loss of your mum! It's so hard to loose a parent. I love your interpretation of the winter snow.it touched me so. The theory of the cardinal I have heard but never anything regarding the blackbird so I will for sure research it. Sincerely, Donna

Farm Girl said...

Wow you have been in a really hard time haven't you? I am so sorry with the sad death of your Mom. I am so sorry for the pain that you have been going through.
I will be praying for you. I am so glad you got your blackbird sign. You needed it and I think those things do happen. When my Dad died, my brother needed a sign and on my Dad's birthday, a crow came to my brother as he poured cement. It stayed there watching him all day.
Now eight years later, my brother died on my Dad's birthday. I just feel so sad for you. I wish I was closer.

Tina said...

I'm so very sorry for your lose. Here's my heart to lean on while yours lingers in pain. Take care of yourself.

Heritage Hall said...

What glorious, mystical Winter photos, Robin. So sorry
that before recovering the loss of Mason, you had to deal
with one of the most difficult of life's losses; Mother,
friend, supporter, mentor, comforter...name it. She was quite lovely and those letters should renew memories of the depth of your relationship. Hoping the days ahead will be
healing and like the blackbird, will assure you that Mason and your Mum continue to live; oh how they do live and
especially now, through you.

Dicky Bird said...

Robin, I'm sorry about your mom's passing. I love the black bird tho! The way your tell this, brings tears to my eyes. Hugs from east of Nod.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

My deepest most heartfelt sympathy to you. The little dainty blackbird awaiting you. Priceless encounter and encouragement in its own special way for you. I believe and I know that was real ❤️ I praying for you.

Primitive Stars said...

Morning Robin, my heart hurts for you, the heartache is unimaginable but I’m sure you know this now. I am broken losing my beloved mother, then months later losing Angel, I will never be put back together…. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing the love you shared. The letters and pictures are truly treasures to behold….The little Blackbird brought tears to my eyes, a sign for sure, as I believe. Know I am thinking of you, take care, love and hugs Francine.

yaya said...

Robin, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Mother. This was a beautiful post and a lovely tribute. Sometimes our relationships with family is complicated and not fully realized until much later in life. I hope your heart can heal as the cold continues until the warmth of Spring arrives. I know this had been a hard year. Hugs from Ohio and many prayers for healing.

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Oh Robin, I am so very sorry to hear of the death of your Mom. Having lost mine not many years past, I still feel the hurt. But, time does heal wounds, even deep ones, and the memories of her will forever live on in your heart. My Mom loved birds, and I always smile a little when they come to the feeders. How very special that little blackbird gave you a sign that your Mom is with you...always.
Hugs and blessings