Sunday, March 29, 2020

A Different Kind of Quiet

It's day whatever of the lock-down in Nod.  Yes, the indiscriminate reach of this new plague extends even to places as cold and forlorn as Nod.  When asked how I am tolerating the isolation, I respond that it really isn't much different for me than life was before the Plague.  I am accustomed to spending my time alone...and, specifically, at home alone, so that is nothing new.  I am also easily entertained and amused and, heaven knows, I have enough projects (fun and otherwise) to keep me occupied for several natural (and otherwise) lifetimes.
And life in Nod has always been, for the most part, quiet. 

But even this Quarantined Crow must admit that it is a different kind of quiet.

It is too early for the farmers to be in their fields and, apparently, we don't have too many "essential" workers living out this way because there are few, if any, cars that pass.
It is too cold to do outdoor things and that "ugly" adolescent-ness of spring is upon us so that nothing is green, but nothing is really white anymore as what snow remains seems dirty and used.

It is as if life was suddenly "paused."


We do not have children here that need to be schooled and I imagine life is quite different and not so serene in those homes that do....but that happy chaos does not reach here.

So, I carry on doing what I have been carrying on doing for so long now.... 
No - no closets emptied, no drawers organized; no purging, no downsizing, no tossing....No spring cleaning, no rearranging of furniture, no painting. No. Nope. Nada. 

I am, after all, a creature of habit.

I have not had much inclination to decorate for Easter. 


But a few things have found their way upstairs....

{Wax chicks by the talented Misi from 1890 Gable House Goodes}

{Felted carrots I made years and years ago in one of my favorite bunnies}

My plan to get binding wool to finish my Gillford runner...and perhaps a new hooking pattern and wool...was thwarted by the lock-down.   So, I have continued to stitch until I get up the nerve to pick up my Welcome Cat rug again.  This week I bit the bullet and actually made this stitching into the pinkeep it was supposed to be:


The pattern is from Scattered Seed Samplers and was part of the Birds of a Feather Handworkes club.  It is appropriately entitled Set Free. 

I know many are longing to be "set free" and my heart goes out to those who are much more affected by this pandemic than I:  Those whom the illness has touched directly and/or indirectly, those who have lost their jobs or been laid off indefinitely (including my Little Crow), those who are on the front lines in health care or "essential" job functions, those who have been thrown into uncertainty of having their life savings and retirement accounts reduced to a mere fraction of what they were, and those whom this plague has isolated.  I worry for my mum and those others who are in assisted living facilities, nursing homes and the like and are not allowed visitors. Dementia is cruel as we know, and my mother can be told 100x a day why no one from her family visits her, but she cannot remember.  All she must feel is total and utter abandonment.  Our economy, our country, and our world will not be the same.  But I hope that some of the "difference-ness" that results will be of the good sort.

And despite all the hardships, fear and uncertainty that has accompanied this plague, I hope a little piece of each of us can be grateful that we live in a place where, despite a pandemic of epic proportions, we can be safe and warm in our homes, work and attend school from our homes, communicate (albeit not in person) with loved ones, and have food in our pantries and refrigerators.

  Maybe not toilet paper...but, hey....life's never gonna be perfect.

Rajah Roo practicing "social distancing"

Stay well and stay safe.

10 comments:

Saundra said...

OMG, we must be twins separated at birth as we share some of the same thoughts of this isolation. I've lived alone for the last 11 years before the divorce and even before that when 'he' lived in the house it was still like living alone. So am quite happy entertaining myself with projects and TV shows I like. After all, when 'he' lived here he was the master of the remote. No more baby!!

acorn hollow said...

While I have plenty to keep me busy I miss my family a call just does not do it. My Daughter and family are doing well and I am blessed for that.
stay healthy and enjoy your time at home.
Cathy

marly said...

Excellent post Robin. I'm also an introvert and except for a few short trips to very few stores, nothing is different for me. The reality of this crisis is affecting others much more and it has to be hard for them and as you mentioned, those in facilities and hospitals. In the end, it may help people reconnect, push a reset button, be grateful, less hateful.

diamondc said...

It is amazing how things can change in a nano-second, we have adjusted to being in the home almost 24 hours a day, we do walk the dog and get outdoors.
No snow left but lots of brown.
I hope this makes people know how valuable life really is.
I love your Easter decorations.
I am a fan of Scattered Seeds and do Tammy's auto ships, I have belonged to all since the start.
I hope you post more of what you are up to.
Stay Healthy

Catherine

Fairy Godmom said...

Thank you for this post, Robin. It's spring here in northeast Ohio, and the Manchurian Apricot outside my bedroom window is in full bloom, as is the forsythia down by the sidewalk. Last fall we planted hundreds of daffodils and they are rewarding us. It's a cheerful blessing in this relatively lonely time.

I long to get back to creative stuff. I really am cleaning and sorting and pitching so I'm free to do so. I am a packrat by nature, and I was a very busy and overcommitted packrat for over fifty years. So there's lots to go through. But I'll get there, God willing.

I love your decorations as well as your needlework. Be well and safe, and have faith-- spring is really is just around the corner.

Ms Peppercorn said...

Thank you for the post. I am a natural born loner. The middle child of five; the older two close in age as well as the younger two and three to four years in between me and both sets of them. I occasionally daydream how having a house arrest ankle bracelet would not affect me very much! LOL! I recently have relearned to crochet and have been making simple wash clothes that my church donates to shelters, retirement homes, etc. l just finished two Muriel Bovine primitive cows (Stacey Meade The Good Wife) to list on Etsy. Did some yard work yesterday despite the high winds and overly saturated soil.

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Hi Robin - Loved your post. I too, live in a rural area, with farmer's fields all around. I also am alone very much of the time, but for the most part, I manage to keep busy with orders and my own projects, as well as gardening. I am thankful that the weather is beginning to allow me to get out there and putter in the yard...somehow it is so calming to my soul. I wasn't much in the mood for Easter decorating either, but did pull out some of my things last week, because it was warm and sunny and it felt like Spring. No one but the hubs and I will see them, but it does help to make a more cheery atmosphere. I think what I miss the most is hugging our grandkids and interacting with them. They are such a joy to be with, and that, by far, is the toughest part of isolating for me.
Take heart dear and know that there are others feeling as you do. Keep busy and before you know it, things will return to a more normal time. Sending blessings

Prims By The Water said...

I hope and pray your mom stays safe and that little crow will get his job back when this madness ends. So like your bunny and Misi's creations are always so wonderful! janice

Rugs and Pugs said...

You have such a way with word, and with your interesting background...your next one should be a writer.
You will find it hard to believe, but other than hooking related stuff, I thought I could be a recluse. Now that I've barely left the house in weeks, I know that is not true. I am not very social, but I am about ready to climb the walls. I can't imagine how hard this must be for people who were always on the go. I, too, have not cleaned, purged, re-decorated, painted, etc...and god knows all that needs to be done. I never even brought down my Easter decorations and I have plenty.
Sorry to hear about little crow. (Where will he be moving to? I thought he had a home nearby.) Both my sons's girlfriends are now unemployed. My local son is secure working for the city, but the Las Vegas son just must hope they don't close down construction sites.
Sweet cross stitch finish.
Oh, my heart aches for your mom. Dementia is so cruel :(
xoxo, ET

Winnie said...

Robin, so glad to hear that you and yours are safe and hanging in there up in the land of Nod! Most of the folks I talk to, who love crafts, are doing the same as you; working or finishing up old projects and Carrying On. Like you say, we are the lucky ones who have adequate housing, food, and loved onset call in a urgent hour of need. Sometimes I wonder what life will be like once this crisis has past us, at least for the Summer months. Doing without so many freedoms that help fuel our crafting passions, we are forced to be more focused on the must haves and the desire to do something to feel like we have some control left. Or at least that is the conversation I have seen repeated over and over from other women. The make-do of the WWII years is bubbling up again in an effort to make things seem more normal and good. I have started making our weekly loaf of bread again and I have to say, it always takes my mind off my worries and provides the house and week with something basic and delicious! I might have to try my hand at chocolate chip cookies like you did!!!