Sunday, March 8, 2020

Bits and Bobs

Every now and again, the book I choose to read is by a British author. It seems to happen quite frequently actually.  Among my recent favorites are Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel, both by Daphne Du Maurier.  (Once I like a book, I seem to search out other titles by the same author and read until I am satiated, or get over it.) Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel are not recent books (Rebecca was actually first published in 1938), but well worth the read.  

(Both "Rebecca" and "My Cousin Rachel" have been made into movies....several times)

Anyways...where was I going with this?  Oh, yes....  For some reason, the British version for certain words and phrases resurface in my head at the oddest of times. I find some of their words amusing...like "boot" (a car trunk), child-minder (babysitter), people carrier (minivan), lie-down (nap) (as in "I think I will have a lie-down") and perhaps that is why they get "stuck" up there in my head; but why they come to mind when they do has me nonplussed.  It seems there is a magnet in my mind that attracts the most useless of information.

So, the phrase that got stuck and regurgitated today is "bits and bobs"....and that's exactly what you're getting in this post: Bits and bobs about what's new in Nod.

Nothing.

Absolutely NOTHING is new in Nod LOL.

*************
  We have had several days of mild weather (today I think we are to break 50°) (aren't you impressed I figured out how to make the "°" symbol??).  But mild temps or not, we still have a thick layer of snow on the ground...and it snowed just this past Thursday.

While others look to cheery daffodils and the return of fair-weather birds as the harbinger of spring, here in Nod, we need to manually push ourselves into spring mode.  So, to that end, I did a bit of spring cleaning...and even a bit of rearranging.  
Unlike most of my blog acquaintances, I rarely rearrange because, despite WWR, our house is still quite small, and there are rooms, such as the living room, where furniture only can go one way.  And, when I find a place for my non-furniture junk stuff treasures, they often stay put....for a long, long, time.  Oh, I change things out for the holidays...(ok, I used to change things out for the holidays) but, for the most part, when something lands someplace, it puts down roots and that's where it stays.

I, however, forced myself out of my "box" this weekend.  I have an old horse tricycle that Daddy Crow bought for me when we were first married.  It is, however, awkward to display and landed in the basement.  While there, it acquired some not-so-happy associations (another story perhaps another time) and so where it landed, it stayed...to be moved only to another room in the basement as a result of The Great Flood during WWR.

But, I saw it the other day and decided it was time to try to find the joy in it that I felt when Daddy Crow first gave it to me.


It did not work in the space I originally thought it would so, as part of Plan B, I had to move the treasures stuff junk that had "landed" in the space I decided to put it.  And of course that meant finding new "landing" places for those treasures that stuff that junk.

 (Corner between the bathroom and Little Crow's room the guest bedroom)


I am not particularly ecstatic over the end results, but I do like that it opened up a bit more floor space in both spots.  I will live with it a while and see what I want to change .... in another 10 years.  😮
And please don't ask what happened to the treasures stuff junk that was in this corner.

*************

Other than that (and reading too much), I finished the hooking up on my Guillford runner (an Edyth O'Neill design). 


 I haven't located the box I stuffed my whipping wool in don't have any whipping wool, so I will have to wait on the binding of it.  
Please remind me that when I go back to hooking after an unduly long hiatus, NOT to choose a pattern with symmetry involved....particularly when said pattern is not very carefully drawn. Grrrr....

*************

I also finished up a few little diddies that have been hanging around in various states of unfinish for far too long.  This little scissors pouch is a design from Teresa's Prim Treasures.  


I must have been on a scissors kick, because I also finished up this scissors block:


Each side has a different design, but I obviously have a bird thing going. Go figure.


I may make some more of these....If I can find where I stashed the other wood blocks I had made. The design is by La-D-Da.

So, that's a wrap on my bits and bobs for the day.
I hope your week ahead is filled with smiles...and a few shenanigans of course.

Cheerie-Bye!

11 comments:

Saundra said...

I adore your horse tricycle. The finished Guilford runner looks perfectly hooked and edges far more straight than mine ~ good work!!!!!! Nice scissor heart with crow as well as the block. You've been busy in Nod.

Prims By The Water said...

What an awesome tricycle! I would never be able to leave it in the basement. You rug looks good even if you had trouble with it. Hope you find your wool soon so you ca finish it. Janice

marly said...

You have some wonderful pieces. Glad the tricycle is out in daylight! Has to be frustrating to have treasures you can't enjoy every day. You need to list them on cards, and pull several to display for the month. Treasure rotation lottery! And then take a photo and post it on your blog.

I have no idea how to get the degree o.

Your hooking looks great to me!!

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Our book club read Rebecca for February. We had all read it as teens and were eager to see if it held up. It did! One had loved My Cousin Rachel too so I must check it out- thanks for the reminder! Lovey inspiring blog pics!

acorn hollow said...

you have been busy I love the horse but could see how it is awkward. I opened the windows and cleaned all day even though we have snow on the ground but it still felt good.
Cathy

Dicky Bird said...

Changing things up is the only way I get to "keep" all my treasures...lol...only, they end up shuffled out in my building and I find it several years later...a "new" treasure again. When we went to Scotland and Ireland, I was enlightened by the phrase "boot" sale. I asked our tour guide if they had any flea markets, to which he told me they call them "boot" sales. I always thought it would be a fun "theme" to a sale. I know the best way to find the wool binding, finish the project with something else. it'll show up right after that. TeeHee.

Tilly Bean said...

That rug looks gorgeous!!

WoolenSails said...

What wonderful treasures and always fun to repurpose things we have put away, I like redecorate every so often.
Beautiful pieces and love your scissor block.

Debbie

WoolenSails said...

Sounds like a fun day and productive with your newest quilt.
I must have missed something, why the need to stockpile toilet paper?

Debbie

Rugs and Pugs said...

Yup. Another thing we have in common. I never rearrange my furniture. Like you, there really is only one way it will work.
Like Debbie asked, why are we stockpiling TP? No one seems to have an answer but it seems to be the thing everyone is doing.

oldgreymareprimitives said...

I am a huge fan of beloved pieces having a place of honor in our home. I worked constantly with clients to stop boxing things up for "someday" or for "saving." Good job You!