Thursday, April 30, 2020

Wrestling With Mermaids

I should have known.

In the wee pre-dawn hours this morning, with my eyes finally blurred with sleep, I leaned over and looked up at the clock: 2:45 a.m.

Yikes.
 That's late even for an insomniac like me.
I rubbed my eyes and shook my head.

I should have known.

{"A Mermaid's Longing"}

Mermaids are nothing but trouble.

Oh, yes....they live up to their legendary reputations of alluring beauty and temptation, but trouble nonetheless.

As a general rule, mermaids (and mermen for that matter) were, historically considered dangerous to man.  Their siren songs have lured many a hapless sailor to his death.  If offended, a mermaid could throw a heck of a temper tantrum (rivaling me in my toddler years):  wreaking havoc in the the form of floods, storms and other disasters.  Their gifts, though beguiling, usually brought misfortune.

{"A Sailor's Delight" by William Holbrook Beard c. 1891}

To see a mermaid on a voyage was an omen of shipwreck.

And when I was enticed to stitch The Mermaid of Salem Bay, I was surely headed for a shipwreck.

Mermaids are not typically my "thing," but how could I resist? This beautiful selkie is called "The Mermaid of Salem Bay" for crying out loud.  (Did I say that already?)  And I have been looking for a few nautical/coastal-ish things for the lake house. How more apropos could it get? How much more of an omen did I need?

But I should have known.
Nothing good can come from a witch of the sea.

It started with this: 

{Sorry for the blurriness, but hey...I'm going on very little sleep here....}

The design is from one of my very favorite (and very trusted) Italian designers, so I assumed the "1 on 2" was just a lingual faux pas and it really meant to be 1 over 2.  
But....1 over 2 on 30 count???
Nonetheless, I dove in.  (Get it, "DOVE" in??)

After a few nights of stitching, I really began to question my assumption as I did not like the coverage of the floss.  So I broke down and messaged the designer.  
She immediately replied and begged my forgiveness and stated the model had actually been stitched 2 over 2.

So...the frogging began.  (Notice a watery theme here??)
An entire stitching night of freakin' frogging.

And then I started over.

I liked the coverage better....BUT, soon ran out of the skein of floss I had started with from my stash for the green portions of her tail: Gentle Arts "Mountain Mist."
NP...I went to my LSN and bought more....
Except that it wasn't the same green....even with all the variations in the variegation, the tones were off....completely off.

So...I ordered more skeins of the floss online...from several different sources...only to encounter even MORE variations, none of which were the same as my original skein.

Heck...I threw caution overboard (ok...I won't say it...) and forged on.
 BUT, after many nights stitching, I began to be dissatisfied with all of the colors of the piece.  They looked (at least to me) NOTHING like the model...and it was the sultry siren of the model after all that had lured me into this. However, I was stitching on a specialty linen that cost a pretty lira...ummm...euro...and could not risk ruining it by ripping everything out.
Besides, I don't have one of those slick lift n' snip things that some stitchers have. 😉

Then I got to the 1/4 ~ 1/2 ~ 3/4 stitches. 


I have been stitching for a long, long, time...and have done complicated specialty stitches in my day...even was proficient at Hardanger...but I have never quite figured out how one knows by the symbols given if something is a "1/4" stitch, a "1/2" stitch or a "3/4" stitch. 
And...why...WHY...would you have two little "x"s representing one in a single square like this...where no backstitching even goes?  
Someone enlighten me please??  I get it when you're sharing a "square" between two different colors...or when you are trying to add definition and shape...but hmmm...I think I missed a memo somewhere along the line.

And then last night (a/k/a this morning to some of you), this happened:


Me thinks my eyes must be permanently damaged because I cannot rightly discern any true difference between the symbol used for the "Freedom" and the one for the"Blueberry" backstitching on the legend.

Sometimes if the siren sings loud enough, the symbol for "Blueberry" looks a smidgeon thicker and/or darker than the one for "Freedom," then I look away from the legend to the actual pattern and those dark lines look all the same.

I should have known: If you wrestle with a mermaid, you're not going to win.




(Anyone in need of any Mountain Mist floss??)

14 comments:

marly said...

Mermen!!! Love it. Makes me want to be a mermaid, an excellent excuse for wreaking havoc. I have no idea about the stitch squares, sorry. I hope you won't allow this tailed siren to get the best of you. Show her we footed sirens have more power.

Anonymous said...

I hate to say it but very poor pattern symbols, too much alike! Wish I could help...the finished piece will look lovely I`m sure. I live north of you (in the far north UP of MI) and our snow in the yard just melted this week. Hope the warm weather comes to you and me and stays for good!

acorn hollow said...

Since I have not stitched in many many years this is all confusing to me but you much be frustrated with all the issues.
Cathy

Saundra said...

Could be you have the same designer which Lauren had trouble with. Check out Lauren's blog: https://rugsandpugs.blogspot.com/2020/04/not-happy-camper.html

Rugs and Pugs said...

Oh dear God. I found the finished piece. That would be an ambitious stitch even without all the issues.
Good luck!

JFM said...

I haven't stitched in over seventeen years because of my vision problems.
My last project was a black panther in a tree. It took me almost a year to finish it
Love your blog!
Jan

oldgreymareprimitives said...

My years of solving those issues are WAAAAY behind me. I admire your persistence. I would have thrown into a bag and gone to eat cookies and mumbled about the cost ....

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Robin,
I think I would have just "abandoned ship, jumped overboard, or sailed away" on this particular piece!! It all sounds so confusing, and I DID get plenty of sleep!! So sorry for all the frustration and do hope you can get things "ship shape" so you can have "smooth sailing" from here!!! I guess I just really did get into the spirit of your post!!! lol
All kidding aside, I do hope you can get things straightened out, my friend!!
It looks like a gorgeous piece!!!
Take care and stay safe and well, my friend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo

Winnie said...

Robin, I agree with Julie above! I would have long ago jumped ship and tossed it all in the closet where projects go into "until later status" which of course means eventually go to the thrift store. You will have to show us the end result of this interesting project which just might turn out beautiful and one of your favorites. I hope the rest of what you have started ends up being much easier to complete!

Stay well and safe and it is always fun to hear what is happening up in the Land of Nod!!

diamondc said...

Oh my gosh, some designers do not check symbols before printing or even after, I am so confused at some 1/4 and 3/4 stitch's and I have been stitching for over 40 years, I think it is a shame that the floss colors are not the same when purchased at different time, I have floss that is ten years old ran out found the same DMC color had not changed.
I am looking forward to seeing the Mermaid finished.
Stay bHealthy

Catherine

Prims By The Water said...

Oh lordy Robin,I think I would have thrown in the towel.I give you lots of credit for for swimming on. I would have drowned like the sailors in the sea. Janice

Farm Girl said...

Good Morning Robin,
Well, I must say what you have got accomplished it just beautiful. I did a rug that was a mermaid, its a interesting design but it was a tough one. I think it will be incredible to see when its finished. I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. I love to think about you at your new place. I would love to escape to a place like that. Alas though the next place I escape to will be desert in a 110-120 degree heat. At least it cools off at night. :)
The pattern I ordered finally came. You know what I noticed? I ordered two sets of floss with the pattern. Why? no clue so I understand your shades and getting so many colors.
Hang in there. We showed our house three times yesterday. I really feel today that I understand how animals feel in the zoo. I hope you get some more done on your lovely Mermaid. I really think you are doing an awesome job.

Farmhouse prims said...

I didn't know all of that about Mermaids, thank you for the information. I admire you for being able to cross stitch on linen. The smallest I can cross stitch on is 18 count aida and that is getting tough even with readers and lighting. Can't wait to see your finished project. Hugs, Lecia

Lady Locust said...

Oh dear! Naughty mermaid causing such strife. I can't answer a single question you posed, but I'm pretty sure the answer to all of them is chocolate :0)