Thursday, May 28, 2020

The Lights of Lake Nokomis, The Mermaid of Salem Bay & the Tales of Two Whales

Why is it that the moon always seems impossibly large over a body of water?


Well, at least it does to me.


The last photo was taken at around 10 pm....yet the light from that moon lit up the entire sky.

I have a love affair with the moon.

Mermaids, not so much.

But this little wench is finally done (well, except for the framing).

"The Salem of Mermaid Bay" by The Primitive Hare

"Optional" beading was charted, and I debated, but finally added them.  They aren't showing up well in the photos, but I really kind of like them....they remind me of water droplets .


The floss colors still aren't what I thought they would be, but maybe they will grow on me.

I wonder how long I will overthink the framing.

Moving on to the whales.

I mentioned (in a comment? in a prior post? who knows? who cares?) that I was debating a whale of a new hooking project... Well, I took the plunge... and it is a "whale" project in every sense of the word "whale."

It is whale-ishly large...for me anyways...measuring 24" x 55."  I am, therefore, opting to do it in a large...for me anyways...cut (9.5) of which, truth be told, I am not particularly fond. But hey...it means the hooking will go all the faster. (Ha!)


I opted for a dark, dark, blue background...which reads black in most lights.  So, as soon as I am done over-thinking the framing of the sea wench, I will move on to over-thinking my color choices here.

As I must have been on a whale kick, I finally finished up this little needlebook from Stacy Nash's Nantucket Sewing Set:


The inside:


The finishing of this piece is not something I will jump on to repeat unless I find a better way.
Oye!

Well, that's all the fishy tails tales I have for you today.
I have some serious over-thinking to get back to.

Be well and safe.

15 comments:

oldgreymareprimitives said...

My goodness your work is remarkable. I'm jealous :D

Prims By The Water said...

Did the linen come with your kit as that ship is so cool. Great job on your finish. That moon is amazing. We always say it is bigger here too when it comes up on the river. Probably just our eyes. LOL Janice

acorn hollow said...

The moon oh how I love the moon and when the full moon is on the snow it is glorious! your mermaid is wonderful! same goes for for your needle keeper.
and your whale of a whale is great! I love the white as in Moby Dick.
I like you over think everything!
Cathy

Lady Locust said...

Oh your moon pix are stunning! And I love the addition of the beads - adds dimension to the piece, and a little "extra." Beautiful~

Saundra said...

With your pattern printing issues of the Mermaid must say you did a great job of recovery ~ she is beautiful.
Looking forward to your whale of a sea dragon you develop. I'm sure it will be wonderful. Hey, I love wide cuts!!!!! And it does make the hooking go faster. So hurry up so we can enjoy it, lol.

Rugs and Pugs said...

You have been busy! Love your mermaid and the whale of a whale rug is off to a great start. Let me tell you, that is one BIG rug. And another cross stitch finish. You are putting me to shame!!!

marly said...

She's haunting and gorgeous. Bravo for beads! I think the colors are wonderful and remind me of iridescence. But that moon. Magnifico.

Over thinking is a delicate form of procrastination, but for me, still results in changes. Good luck girl.

diamondc said...

Salem Bay Mermaid is lovely, I do like using beads on some of my stitching.
Nice needle book, I do like the backing fabric with the heart.
I need to learn to hook, this design looks very interesting.

Catherine

Susan Hemann said...

I'm a moon lover too. Love your ocean creatures! I love medieval ocean creatures. I have a book of them. I've always wanted to do something with them.
I had to laugh about the overthinking- if I can overthink something, enough to kill it I will!!lol So many ideas have died in my brain.

Ms Peppercorn said...

I’m a Moonchild too, born under Cancer. I love to sit with a glass of wine and watch Clouds passing in front of the Moon. The beading bubbles (water drops) are perfection. You make me want to get back to stitching. Thank you so much for posting.

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Robin,
Those photos of the moon are just stunning!! I love to see the moon too, and sometimes on early morning walks it just looks enormous!!
Though you had trouble with your mermaid, it turned out beautifully and the beads really complete it, almost like little glowing bits of shell!!
As to overthinking, I really do think that is part of having an artistic nature!! Well......let me think on that a bit more.......!
Your whale is going to be AMAZING!!! I am so looking forward to seeing this as you make more progress!! It definitely is HUGE and good for you that you are GOING BIG!!!! I have not tried a 9.5 yet but hope to hook a rug with larger cuts sometime in the future!! I'm still thinking on that too!!!!
Your needle book is so beautifully done as well, my friend!!! You certainly do have many "mad skills" and am happy to see you sharing them!!!
Hope spring is finally making an appearance in Nod and Happy Hooking, my friend!!! We are HOT here in AZ.....111 degrees today!! That's just WRONG!!!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xoxo

WoolenSails said...

I love watching the moon come up over the water, it is awe inspriring.
Love your new pieces, perfect for summer.

Debbie

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Always so relaxing to visit your blog. Love your photos and your finishes...the whale is neat.

Farm Girl said...

I haven't been on the computer in so long it feels like. You have been busy. I love your wonderful projects. I also love your pictures of the moon. We sold the house and are preparing to move. We also bought a house, and all the story made it to the blog. Today. Who knows when I will get back to the computer. I am supposed to be packing like a crazy woman.
I really love that mermaid. You did a wonderful job. Is it just incredible stitching and looking at water? I think it would be.
Have a wonderful day. I keep trying to figure out how come I have so much stuff.
I miss you,
Kim

moosecraft said...

Love the moon anywhere...but especially over water! :-) Your pics are gorgeous!
That mermaid finished up fantastically! Beads definitely add an interest...and more watery appeal to this design... I've only started beading my stitched pieces and enjoy it very much!