Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Another Harsh Winter Ahead??

My mother had 1001 ways of predicting the weather...and, more times than not, she was correct. (In fact, she was right more often than any weatherman I have ever listened to.)
I have forgotten more than many of those ways, but one I will never forget because it comes in handy as an excuse to not worry about your diet and/or weight:
"If you eat more than usual or necessary, a harsh, hard, winter is on the way."  (Apparently our bodies need the extra "sustenance"...i.e., layers of fat.)

While it's a bit early by my mother's prognostications, I've been eating like a newborn piglet...so I am fearing another (the last 2 have been especially brutal) wicked winter. 

(Isn't she adorable??? My great niece I mean....)

So, today I thought was a good day to take a few photos of this year's "pretties" to look back on during the long winter ahead.

Compared to most years, I have very little to commemorate....I seriously cut down compared to prior years given that I knew I would not be able to keep up with plantings both here and at the lake...
Besides, it was an "odd" year (to say the least) to shop for much of anything here....including plants.

But here are a few photos I took today:

(Lantana and petunias, with volunteer petunias below) 

 (Coneflowers seem happy this year)

(Hydrangeas)

(Bee Balm)

(More coneflowers and smoke bush)

(Volunteer petunias and baby's breath poolside)

(Angolina and impatiens) 

(Looks to be a good year for Bittersweet)

(The first of the Hibiscus opened today)

And for a loyal reader/commenter who probably cares not one whit about cute piglets or flowers, here's a quick pic of my boring, slow, pathetic, progress on The Wretched White Whale.  


I am hoping you are all well and safe and finding ways to tolerate the extreme heat, humidity and lack of rain so many of you are experiencing.  

(PS...I truly appreciate all of you who take the time to read and comment.  I know I am a bit "all over the board" content-wise and THAT will never change, but every now and again I run into people who read my blog (really!) and say "I wish you would do a post about....{whatever}!"  I don't know if those few are representative of more of you but, if so and if there is anything you would like to suggest as a topic or about which you are curious, let me know.  As those of you who know me know, I might not "stick to it," but I certainly will give it a whirl.)

19 comments:

oldgreymareprimitives said...

I always enjoy hearing about peoples lives - the good, the bad, and the ugly. I've seen enough influencers, designers etc making money off of every visit we make. I get excited when someone has a story to tell- an insight into how they manage their world.

These fancy folks who show off all the things they get for free when it is obvious they are not suffering to begin with..yeah yeah I know they are making money for the family. I'm just no longer interested. Maybe it is my advancing age....

Anyway show me your gardens, your whale, tell me a story about your world. We never know who we might reach. : D

Janet-Olde Crow Primitives said...

Oh no.......I have been eating like crazy too. I love your gardens, they look beautiful. Your rug looks great too. I am making slow progress on mine, too many other distractions going on right now, such as gardens. Have a great rest of the week.
Janet

acorn hollow said...

My mother had a million sayings but if that one is true we are in for a very bad winter!! Not sure what is going on I am hungry all the time.
I love seeing your flowers they are certainly happy. And I really love seeing your hooking I really love your whale.
the whole world is a little crazy so who knows what is to come but I do enjoy reading your blog.
Cathy

diamondc said...

I am at the age that I believe that many of us can predict what will be coming, our bones ache when storms are coming, so many ways to predict the weather and other happenings
I am totally loving the photo of your great niece, how adorable and a little piglet to boot, so cute.
I love seeing photos of gardens, trees, birds anything outdoors, we live in Minnesota where it gets cold for a long time.
Nice rug, great progress.

Catherine

susan hemann said...

lovely gardens! a very sweet pic of your niece

I have been trying to grow bittersweet for years, it just does not want to grow, yours is lovely

in frustration I pulled it out this year, explaining how hard I tried but you would not grow

by chance do you sell your bittersweet? I'm desperate for some lol after it's dried

Saundra said...

Hmm, I had my comment half typed and lost it. Here I go again.....your great niece and the piglet are cute. Your whale rug is fantastic and love how the whale itself is looking with those loops. It will be a fantastic beauty when done.

Farm Girl said...

Well I know that when you post I am always so excited to read what you are thinking about and what you have been doing. I really do love seeing all of the beautiful flowers you have this year. Its such a treat to see your rug hooking and I do love that whale. Your great niece is so cute with her pig. Such good things. I like that your mother could tell whether like that. My great-grandmother could too. She was always right and I loved that. I wish I had paid better attention and learned more too.
I wish I could grow bittersweet. I think its to hot here.
Have a wonderful day today.

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

such a sweet photo of your great neice and piglet! your flowers are beautiful ~ the past couple of years have been almost snow-less here in VA, I miss my CT winters!

Constance said...

I love that White Whale. I am loving your garden pictures, all those beautiful flowers just make my day !

Take care and stay safe.

Prims By The Water said...

Your great grand niece is adorable! Love your flowers and looking good on your rug progress. Janice

marly said...

Oink oink my friend. Right there with 'ya.

Your flowers are gorgeous. The lantana with petunia is amazing. Did you plant them together or was that a purchased mix? Love love love the color. I've killed many a lantana so I walk past and allow them life now. Your landscaping is very nice, and very well groomed. Thanks for a glimpse of the outside!!

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Wonderful walking thru your gardens! My bittersweet is also going happy nuts. Your niece’s eyes look are piercing. Lovely

WoolenSails said...

Your gardens are beautiful and I love all the settings they are in.
That whale rug is going to be beautiful.

Debbie

moosecraft said...

Beautiful flowers! It's always so much fun to see what volunteers each year! Petunias are always so happy... and my favorites lately are the Lantana... so many color choices than what used to be.
I say, it's your blog, you write about whatever you are feeling like writing about... lol! :-)

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your flowers are gorgeous! I love that old washtub filled with 'tunias.
Considering the size of the rug, I think you are making great progress and your letters look amazing.
Your great niece is adorable, but it looks like the piglet is giving us the stink eye :)

The Moonlit Stitch said...

Ah! What a sweetie! Your Bee Balm, Coneflowers, Hydrangeas, and Smokebush are giants compared to mine! My Bittersweet is pretty fierce but still is a dwarf to your awesome vine! What beautiful, amazing plants, thanks for sharing! ♥Lisa:)

Winnie said...

Beautiful, beautiful flowers up in the summer land of Nod!! It is good to see such happy blooms after your long Winter! I hope your prediction is not right because just like enough summer happens to us, enough winter is the same for you!! It tests all of our patience and perseverance's to the brink! Your whale is indeed coming along and Moby Dick himself would be proud of his image you are patiently working on! What a story that book was!!

Enjoy your summer and I hope it lasts a good long time so that you can soak in the sunshine and enjoy those happy gorgeous blooms!!

Doreen Frost said...

Your gardens are absolutely lovely. I too have a feeling this winter might be a "deep" one. In truth I do hope the snow is deep but the bitter cold could skip us this year and I would be fine with it. :).

Enjoy the day and be well, doreen

Dicky Bird said...

I love all your containers and combinations and style!