Sunday, August 21, 2022

When the Crickets Sing...

{Hollyhocks, Sedum and Beebalm}

When the crickets sing, I know Summer's swan song has begun.
It gives me pause and makes me melancholy (ok melancholier than usual) as it is a bittersweet thing.

{Morning Glories}

It brings me great joy to know that my most beloved of seasons is readying herself for her grand debut;
but Summer is a grand season in its own right and dearly loved as well, as her visits are always brief in the Cold, Cold, Land of Nod.


The changing of the seasons here is so drama-filled it seems...as though nature demands our attention.

And nothing says drama like the latest bloomers (not that kind perverts!) of all: The hibiscus.



 This year some pests have found their leaves particularly appetizing, but the flowers are completed undaunted and unfazed. 


It is difficult to capture in photos how large these blooms are.


I realize I always "overdo" the hibiscus photos each year, 
but indulge me please. 
Have I mentioned Summer is a brief visitor, at best, here?
And a crow can't quite resist those "shiny" objects sometimes.

So, as the days grow shorter, and the cricket's song grows louder and its cadence slower, I drink in these last days of Summer.

{Petunias and Lisianthus}

{Heliopsis ("False Sunflower")

{Lisianthus}


Ok...I'm done with the flower photos.  Can't promise there won't be a few more but knowing our weather/climate, it won't be many.

On to other things...like the cat on my roof.


Well, I thought it was a cat...but then, as I looked at it, I realized there is NO way a cat could possibly get up that high and it was too large for a cat.  (This is the roof of my Little Crow's garage...there is a lift in the building for working on vehicles, so it has a very high roof...(even higher than was needed for the lift...but that's another story for another time.))

Then the cat spoke.
Jiminy Crickets!! (Speaking of crickets...)

That was no cat.
It was an owl...one BIG honking hooting owl!!


While I have no issues with black cats, owls disturb me...especially one so up close and personal.


In my world, owls are generally considered messengers from the spirit world who come to advise or warn one of impending perils.
Some say that they are messengers of witches.
For the record, I was NOT talking to myself.
Long story short: I'd have rather had a black cat miraculously land up there.

*******

I know this post is long enough already, but I am getting way far behind on my book "reports." 
This will be short and to the point:


I picked this book up because I thought the author's name familiar (as though I had read something by her previously and since I didn't associate dislike with the name, assumed it was a good association).
It was not.
I did not like this book...at all.
It is the story of a woman who dies at a too-young age of an incurable disease.
She leaves her husband with a year of monthly letters to help him "transition" to life without her.
Perhaps a good plot in theory, but not in execution.
Totally unrealistic and not in a good way. I find fairy tales more believable.

'Nuff said.

21 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

I guess the great horned owl appearing may be daunting, but, imo, it's beautiful!!! Your summer flowers are stunning (and yes, hibiscus are gorgeous). Here, we look forward to summer leaving!!!

Still want to get the book by Halls from your last post I will. I'm reading non-fiction right now. The Churchill Sisters

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

The leaves here are turning gold with some slightly cooler weather. It is very welcome as it has been far too hot in Blighty. I like to hear the owls, last night there was hooting aplenty in our trees. A warm evening and owl romance was in the air.

Saundra said...

Didn't realize Li'l Crow had an auto shop in your garage. So he could rotate Mama Crow's tires, change oil, etc. without you having to leave the house.
Not too long ago there was a Horned Owl in my tree with a snack. In the evenings when I hear them hooting I worry about my bunnies' safety but they can have all the destructive squirrels to be found.

JustGail said...

I'd take the owl over a cat on the roof any day. At least it wouldn't need rescuing when it couldn't find its way off. It seems oddly cool for August right now. In fact, I wish I'd had a jacket at the auction I attended on Saturday. I'm not fooled though - I'm sure summer will make several more hot humid appearances. Your flowers are gorgeous.

Dicky Bird said...

Owls do have that "message" in my world as well. Maybe just the doom of summer's end.

Julia said...

I'm not superstitious and I'd welcome an owl on my rooftop. You have nothing to fear but your own fears. I happened to love owls and have some framed pictures at the head of my bed. lol... Uncanny how that owl looks like a cat at first. Birds of any species like to perch in high places and to me, that's what birds do. This owl just happened to like your tall roof for a little rest.
Your flowers are beautiful and especially the Hisbiscus. A little glimpse of your pool makes it look very inviting on a hot humid day.

I'm sorry for the disappointing read. I hope that your next book will be one that you can't put away.

My corn is ready and I wish you were nearby so I could share some fresh from the field. Enjoy the rest of the summer. It's coming to a close way too fast this year.
Hugs,
Julia

acorn hollow said...

Do you know if it is a white owl? that would mean something different. We have a barred owl here we have seen it hunting and hear it at night.
The crickets are very loud here. and there are signs of the trees getting ready to turn.
Cathy

NMK said...

Your flowers are beautiful !!! That is a Big Owl !!! When my son was really little he said an Owl would talk to him from his window at night !!!! Creeps me out !!!!

Hill Top Post said...

"As the days grow shorter, and the cricket's song grows louder..." I love it! And, your oh-so-lovely hibiscus blooms. Be brave and post more!!! Ha! I don't go with such nonsense about the owls. I would be thrilled if one should alight on the peak of my garage.

Farm Girl said...

You may have snowy weather but your flowers are so beautiful. You get blooms we never get. I love how green everything is there. Its so brown here. I know that owls have lots of scary things about them when they show up but I still love seeing them. That was a very good picture of him on the peak of that roof.
I have never heard of that book and I don't think I would like that book very much either. I am glad you are having an nice August. I was just telling my husband about crickets in the east. We have crickets all of the time so we don't notice the last of the song. I am sure its so different there. Knowing snow is around the corner. Have a wonderful new week.

yaya said...

Your flowers are so beautiful and with your photos you can look back on them in the deep cold winter and smile knowing they will return! I spy a lovely pool...just a peek like putting a toe in the water! Enjoy these wonderful end of summer days. I'm usually not a big lover of summer but this has been a nice one even though we didn't vacation anywhere. When I spied your "cat" on that hot tinned roof I thought, "wow, it sort of looks like an owl"...Ha! We have barred owls here and I love hearing their calls at night and once in a bit seeing them swoop over our pines. However, with all the beauty of summer and the surprises of owls and sounds of crickets I'm looking forward to Fall. The trees here have a few gold and orange already.

Prims By The Water said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful Hibiscus. My neighbor down the road has a red one and for the life of me I could not remember what it was. Hers is a beautiful massive red one. Love your too and perfect with your hydrangea. I too have heard if ab owl visits you it means peril. Hope this is just a superstition in your case. Janice

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your flowers are just beautiful!!!
Our crickets have been singing for the last month. I always hate to hear them because I know what it signals.
The pictures of the owl are amazing!!! Were they taken with your phone?
Show us more of the brick wall please.

capecodgirl565 said...

I think owls are a neat thing to see, but after having one clean most of the fish out of my backyard ponds, not so fond anymore. We also had one leave a dead rabbit on the roof of our farm shed until it came back and retrieved it the next day, so kind of yucky.

marly said...

Gorgeous photos and glimpses of your fabulous property. Your perfect description of summer fading is so touching, so sad. But you made it sound comfortable and soothing. Almost made me feel better about losing my season. Not quite.

Except for the brutal killing of little critters to survive, owls are cool!

breeze in the night said...

very beautiful flowers

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I am a friend of Mary's, thought I would drop by for a visit. Lovely photos-I really enjoyed them Kathy

Primitive Stars said...

Evening Robin, I’m amazed at your beautiful gardens, flowers, such a magical place you have, I’m going back to look again….. I love the crickets song at night, comforts me in a way…yes the days are growing shorter but I like it, I have a fondness for the coziness of candle glow so enjoy more in the evening and mornings… great pictures of the owl, I thought a cat as well, love your wildlife in Nod…… take care sweet friend, Blessings Francine

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

Perhaps wisdom, in owl form, is hovering ‘round. Your flowers are sumptuous! Especially the hibiscus which resemble slightly garish showgirls. Inviting pool too!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hello Robin, i sfopped in for a visit from another blogger’s post, Cathy of Acorn Hollow, after reading your recent comment on her post about loving New England! It’s also where my husband I live, also in NH (like Cathy) who I have yet to meet (hopefully one day). I am always looking for new blogs to enjoy and so will be reading some of your previous posts to catch up. I also invite you to stop in for a visit to my blog spot.

By the way, I also like The Wizard of Oz, especially as my given name is Dorothy and Beatrice is a blog alias.

Mary said...

 Hello Blog Admin and anyone reading this , I was diagnosed of herpes and Hiv at the age of 24, and it runs my life until I came to know of Dr Itua herbal center- thankfully after drinking Dr itua herbal medicines for two weeks I'm completely cured which really helped me now I've had no limit how much I do massively. I had two jobs, one full time and one part time, have my horse to care for and would also help friends with their horses. Have since had to accept that I only have one job (to take care of my health) and still care for my horse with help... Dr Itua also cures all sorts of chronic illness and diseases like Herpes,Hiv/Aids,Cancer,Kidney Disease,Liver Diseases,Hepatitis,Lupus,HPV,Diabetes,COPD, And other health conditions anyone may have in their body. Dr Itua uses his herbal medicineTo cure those diseases.
Visit his herbal website www.drituaherbalcenter.com/shop or email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com This is an illness I wouldn't wish on my enemy