Monday, April 24, 2023

Anonymously Yours


 So you wish to remain anonymous?
I didn't think so.

For some time now, Blogger has been messing with at least some of us bloggers.
Things keep changing and rarely for the better.
Several months (a year maybe?) ago, I started having problems leaving comments on certain blogs when using my Ipad or phone.
I could not comment on at all on some blogs, and others only "anonymously" even though I was signed into my Google account and could comment on others using my blogger profile.
This meant I would either have to wait until I was at home, and my pc decided it would cooperate, or I would have to use the "anonymous" option and hope I remembered to identify myself so the blog post author would know whose comment it was...and it meant that the poster would not be able to respond directly to my comment.

However, I could comment on all blogs without issue if I were using my pc.
This was irritating me as I knew there had to be a logical reason.

It took an unduly long while, but I finally figured it out.
It's something called "cross website tracking."

I know there are others out there who have also had this issue* as I've seen the number of "anonymous" comments increase...and I'm not talking about those who choose to comment anonymously because they are cowards and don't want to own their rude or snarky comment(s).

This "fix" is simple, so if you would like to remove your cloak of anonymity, here's how you do it:

1.  Go to your "Settings" on whatever device you are using and from which you are having difficulty commenting (the screenshot is from my Ipad).

2.  Scroll down to the list of your apps (the list is usually nearer the end - after all the "general" stuff and is in alphabetical order).

3.  Click on the name of the web browser you use for blogging.  In my case, it's Chrome.  This is will bring up a larger box on the right side of your screen that gives you the info and options for the browser.

4.  Click on the toggle that says "Allow Cross Website Tracking"
to enable it.





5.  Say "thank you Crow."

You're welcome.

{*Note: This only affects those who use multiple devices - such as a phone and an Ipad, pc, etc. for   If you only ever use 1 device, you will not have encountered this issue.}




  

17 comments:

Julia said...

Hi Robin, thank you, Crow, for the tutorial. I haven't encountered any problems with leaving comments because I only use my laptop to leave comments and to visit blogs. I can't bear to use my iPhone to leave comments. My iPhone is so small. I even deactivated a lot of features on my iPhone and only use it to call people, check the weather, and the alarm and timer. I even deactivated my email on it. I'm not very techy.

I hope spring weather is finding you. I look forward to seeing some blooms on your post soon.
Hugs,
Julia

oldgreymareprimitives said...

I'm sure that will help many. I'm so small it rarely affects me :D

Rugs and Pugs said...

I can't comment, even anonymously, from my iPad or iPhone. I need to try your fix to see if that will allow me to comment. Now I can only comment if I go to my PC (non Apple) and that is not always convenient.
You are one smart Crow ;-)

Saundra said...

I knew you were a wise crow but you just earned your PhD in computereze. Don't have that problem but then I always find using my PC is easiest for me anyway, plus has a larger reading screen.

Maureen said...

Really?? That is all I had to do?? Thank you for your brilliant discovery!
Now I’m going to click publish. Let’s see if I followed your simple (thank you) instructions correctly….

Maureen said...

Well I am impressed and amazed!!

jabblog said...

Thank you for the tutorial. It's always easy when you know 'how', but finding out 'how' can be a devil of a job.

kcmrugs@gmail.com said...

It worked!!! Thank youuuuuu! And I finished Bellman & Black already. Couldn’t put it down yesterday. Now the author is on “my list.”

Heritage Hall said...

Thank you very much crafty Cranky. Wish I were as facile.
Those masks are exquisite...are they Italian? Has all the
snow melted or are you still enduring? Cheer up; your Spring cannot be far behind the latest snowfall.... you
did get a huge share this year.

Prims By The Water said...

I only use my PC, so I am old fashion it seems. LOL Good on you for figuring it out though! Janice

susan hemann said...

thank you Robin! I also tried to subscribe but it took me to a blank page. It said follow it refused to submit. Crazy right?

WoolenSails said...

I only use my Macbook for blogger and still have that problem. One of these days I will have to look at my settings and see if I need to redo things.

Debbie

Rugs and Pugs said...

Howdy GT ;-)

marly said...

I am so impressed.

yaya said...

You're so smart! I usually only use my laptop or my PC and haven't had any problems there but I'll have to see if my phone causes an issue and then I will be able to fix it! Thanks! I hope all's well in Nod although my SIL is hoping for Spring to arrive. Then their house will again be on the market. Have a good weekend. Ours looks very wet!

Dicky Bird said...

Thank you Crow.

Bindu said...

Thank God!. Thanful that I stumbled on your blog