Friday, August 11, 2023

133 E. Jefferson Street


There was a time when I traveled.
I once traveled across Europe for a year with the clothes on my back and an external frame expedition backpack.
I usually didn't know where I would be staying - or if I would be staying - from night to night.  Many nights were spent sleeping on the train to save hostel costs.
(My neck and back are now paying a price for that backpack and those trains.)
I would love to travel again, but circumstances are not permitting.
Becoming a hermit being just one of those circumstances.

Last week, however, I escaped my hermitage for a brief few days and drove to a little village town in the southwest of Wisconsin called Spring Green.
It is most well-known for Frank Lloyd-Wright's "House on the Rock," but I did not go there.
My destination was 133 E. Jefferson Street - the home of Country Sampler.

For those of you non-stitchers/quilters, it is a name that means nothing (and this post will be of absolutely no interest - my apologies), but for some of us, it is a destination unto itself.

I met up with my sister-in-law and 2 of her friends.  
We stayed in the rooms above the shop.  (See the windows in the upper story above the storefront in the photo above? Those are the windows to the main room and sitting area.)

{My bed}

{Window in my room}

{Deck off the back of our rooms}

Having a beautiful shop overflowing with quilt fabrics, linens, floss, patterns, and other beautiful decor items directly below your sleeping quarters for 3 days is a dangerous thing...not to mention financially reckless.


I thought I had taken more photos but, apparently, I was distracted every time I stepped inside.

{Pssst...see my angel?? I have had mine for years and was tickled to see her twin so beautifully displayed.}

It was, however, inspiring to see the models for some amazing designs perfectly finished/framed.  These are just a few:

{This almost came home with me...then I had a reality check regarding all the 1x1.}




{This - and some linen and floss for it -did come home with me...hoping for a post-Spooking-Season start.}


These (and a few other) things followed me home:


One night that we were there, two of the "keepers of the shop" who create much of the magic downstairs joined us for a night of stitching. It was so good to finally put faces to names.

....and while I was gone, Sister Moon shyly blossomed.



Oh...and did I stitch? Ummm, well, yeah? A little??

18 comments:

acorn hollow said...

It sounds like a wonderful outing! I wish my poor eyes could stitch I use to stitch in my 20s but nothing as fine as what you are doing.
Does this place have anything to do with the magazine by the same name?
We did see that beautiful moon for once it wasn't raining.
Cathy

jabblog said...

What a wonderful, inspirational and tempting- place. It must have been fun to spend time with like-minded people. I like your purchases. I'm good at buying and starting, not so good at finishing.

DUTA said...

Lovely photos of the place in Jefferson street, the purchased items, and the Moon!
Well done!

grandma sandy said...

I lived in St.Croix Falls for three years and have always regretted not making it to this store. Happy for you that you were able to spend some time there. Thanks for all the pictures. Always enjoy your posts.

Saundra said...

So glad you got out. Truth be told I've become somewhat of a hermit myself. I was one even before Covid then when our freedom to congregate was thwarted I became even more so. Am comfortable staying home but will venture out in September for camp.
I love Heaven and Nature Sing design!

Julia said...

Well, then, you got out and therefore, you are no more a hermit. I'm so glad that you got away with friends for three whole days.

I love The Heaven and Nature sing pattern. It's something that I would love to stitch in my other life.

I used to buy the magazine Country Sampler but have resisted buying any magazines lately.

I hope that you'll get some rain soon. We are soggy here but can't complain after seeing the devastation in Haiti. Those poor people need our prayers.

Have a good weekend.
Hugs
Julia

Nancy said...

A perfect getaway!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Oh what fun!!! Lucky you. I would love to visit some day...
Purchases look wonderful and so you.
Though I only travelled a couple summers in Spain and France after classes were over, I know all too well going on "the cheap". Remember "Europe on $5 a day"? We did it for less. I have despised canned tuna fish since then because that is about all we ate with a baguette.

Farm Girl said...

When I saw the address in your post, I was so excited! That is one place I have wanted to go for so long. How fun. I really loved your bed! What a cool iron bedstead.
I love all of the goodies you bought. What fun stitching you are going to have.
It sounds like the perfect getaway to me.

NMK said...

Sounds like a Wonderful getaway for you !!! Your patterns are beautiful ....I love counted cross stitch , but my old eyes can't handle it ....
Had to be so inspiring and fun to be with friends !!! Great memories and a few souvenirs to treasure !

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

What an absolutely fabulous trip, you should get out and about more and of course visit England. I'm not a stitcher at present but I have a few wondrous packages in my stash, that may be stitched one of these days. The moon pics are so atmospheric, lovely to see.

Kathy Barrick said...

So happy you had a fun getaway!! And am totally honored you came home with my design!!

Prims By The Water said...

OMG I use to love reading the owners blog and seeing the beautiful shop displays. I miss her doing these. Wonderful stitchery to keep you busy in the upcoming months. So thats where you got your angel. Janice

Primitive Stars said...

Evening Robin, I’m so happy you ventured out and what a place to go. I love the shop with all the stitchery. It is something I would love to do but never tried. I did try hooking but I’m no good at that… cute bed you slept in, love the iron bed.. beautiful purchases you made, love them all…..yes that moon was magical, enjoyed looking skyward at camp, your pictures are wonderful… have a good night, Blessings Francine.

yaya said...

When you said Country Sampler, like Cathy I immediately thought of the magazine! You can tell I'm not a stitcher but I sure enjoyed this post. Looks like such a fun time. If you're not going to go out much this is the perfect trip to choose to do. Love the shop. So pretty! I'm glad you had a good time Robin!

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

bucket list!!!

marly said...

I visit their website and enjoy their newsletter. Such wonderful accessories and decor pieces in addition to needlework. Staying above the shop has to be a real treat.

The first moon photo is amazing.

Dicky Bird said...

I did not know this about this shop! I may have to take my friend Renee down there. Nice photos of amazing needle work!