Saturday, August 26, 2023

In Retrograde


 

It really does explain quite a bit.  If you are not familiar with it, retrograde is the apparent motion of a planet in a direction opposite to that of other bodies in its system.  In other words, it appears that a planet is moving backwards from our view here on earth.

Although retrograde is actually only an optical illusion, many believe the effects when it occurs are not unlike the behavioral changes caused by the changes in the gravitational pull during full moons.  
For example, some claim that, during periods of retrograde, it is easier to become unfocused and irritable, more likely to misunderstand or have conflicts, and even to cause anxiety and depression.  It has also been known to cause glitches in technology and communication.

Useless point of trivia: Between now and the end of September, 7 different planets will be in retrograde at the same time.  ðŸ˜³  In my book, that's like having 7 full moons in a month...but not nearly as enchanting.
Anyways, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

{Rudbeckia}

Since my last post, I have settled back into my hermitage.
Summer has slipped through my fingers like the white sand on a beach.
I heard on the weather today that today will be 2 minutes and 56 seconds shorter than yesterday, and tomorrow will be 2 minutes and 57 seconds shorter than today.  So, in two days, we will have essentially lost 6 minutes of daylight.

Rather than blather on about more useless info, I will share photos of what is left of summer here in Nod. 

{Morning Glories}

{Four of my five varieties of Hibiscus are blooming...still waiting on the reds as they are always the last.}






And while Summer revels in her last hurrah, Autumn is quietly slipping in.

The bittersweet berries are turning:


Critters are stockpiling and fattening up:




...and the trees are turning and losing their leaves.


 When has the onset of my favorite season become so bittersweet?
Must be the retrograde, eh?

17 comments:

jabblog said...

The blowsiness of late summer - rich, colourful, somehow regretful . . .

Saundra said...

Such a thinker of things you are. The garden is gorgeous and must require a lot of work. There is one doe with one fawn and another doe who visits has twins. Leaves haven't started turning here just yet but they have been falling from the trees since June when there was the drought. Yet I have noticed the loss of daylight earlier.

Rugs and Pugs said...

I absolutely HATE the shorter days!!!
Great pictures of your yard. Love your hibiscus.

Maureen said...

Thank you for explaining the retrograde situation. It certainly explains my moodiness of yesterday. This morning, since it's a bit cooler and less humid I took myself for a walk around our little neighborhood. That seems to have helped a bit.
Take care. I do enjoy reading your blog :)

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Nod is still looking abundant. But you are right Autumn is on the way. I don't mind that too much as I'm not a lover of hot sticky days, I prefer sunny with a light breeze. Aren't I a delicate creature? Ha ha.

marly said...

Wonderful photos. I've said many times, gorgeous property.

I always learn something from your posts. I am spuddling in retrograde. Is that possible?

NMK said...

Retrograde !!! That explains a lot to Me today !!!! Hubby & I are on a different page right now !
Your gardens look beautiful ....leaves are beginning to change here . I am looking forward to Fall , but it doesn't last long enough ....Kids all going back to school ...one Grand Daughter turns 10 soon !!! Double digits ...time goes by too fast ....

Prims By The Water said...

Does retrograde case tiredness? I know these shorter days are making me tired earlier at night. Such beautiful flowers. I need to buy me a Hibiscus. I envy you having all that bittersweet. Janice

Farm Girl said...

Its so pretty at your house. I love all of the nature and the animals. It always makes me happy to see the trees begin to change color.
I hope you have a wonderful week as we make it to September.

Heritage Hall said...

Mystery solved...I can fault Retrograde and am sticking to it...
The Garden at Nod is so lovely ... you have the gift...








Nancy said...

Enchanting gardens. We here in Texas have been so parched and burning that the slightest cooling brings relief and excitement for Autumn. The Goldenrod is turning gold, and my variegated Artemisia promises smudging-to-come!

yaya said...

You may be a hermit but I bet anyone going by your home wants to stop and get out to walk around your beautiful gardens! Looks amazing! Trees are slowly turning here too and today it's only in the 60's. But the ninety degree temps will be back next week. I'm hoping that's the last hurrah! Take care Robin!

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

gorgeous photos!
oh retrograde....doth hath me head a'spinnin' !!!!
Bb,
Lori from Notforgotten Farm

Dicky Bird said...

I did notice the leaves starting to change as well. Dang, I'll have to go look at my bittersweet. Your flowers are lovely!

Hill Top Post said...

Your winters may be cold and snowy but your summers, in retrograde 😉, are oh-so- lovely. What a show your flowers are putting on!

Primitive Stars said...

Good afternoon Robin, that explains a lot about me lately, lol, very interesting I must say retrograde..I want to come live with you, your gardens are amazing, I will be your gardener, the flowers so beautiful! My Morning Glories were never like that and oh how I love Rebeckia too.. Adore the animals that visit you well except the snakes..the deer are adorable… Here the leaves changing too but I’m a Fall girl, cannot take this intense heat anymore. And I have to admit I like the shorter days as I love lamp and candle glow…. Wishing you a Happy Labor Day sweet friend, Love and Hugs Francine.

Bama Planter said...

Your pictures and thoughts are a delight to read and to see. You are loved by someone in Alabama !