Saturday, September 16, 2023

Salem Hill and a Gift from Blighty


September greetings...

Somehow the days are whirling past me as quickly, and as without purpose, as the autumn leaves.

It seems as though this entire past year has been out of focus.
Little gets accomplished...I start one thing, get distracted by another, find my way back to where I thought I was only to have forgotten my original intention.

My plan to fully finish some of the things I had finished stitching or hooking before starting new projects went the way of the scattering leaves.
But I did manage one finish: "Salem Hill Sampler" by The Scarlett Letter. 


My talented sister-in-law finished into this beautiful trinket box.


I stitched this last year on 40 count "Salem" linen by Fiberlicious Yummy Fibers, 1 over 2 (some limited 1 over 1) with the called-for overdyed floss and some (unintentional) color changes in the pumpkins.

{It looks a bit wonky in these photos, but that is due to the wonky skills of the photographer - it is actually straight as it should be.}

The only other bright spot in my mostly otherwise dull days was the arrival of a wonderful gift from a dear blog buddy (Jean from Shrimpton and Perfect) from across the great pond in England - a/k/a "Blighty."


It arrived wrapped so charmingly, and with the most beautiful card. I had to pause and savor the fact that it had traveled so many miles.


And nothing could be dearer to my soul than an old book.


"Silas Marner" by George Eliot (the pen name of the Victorian era author, Mary Ann Evans).
This is a treasure to me.  I have just started it and I am already smitten. I feel like I have dropped into a different time, in a country I don't know but which is instantly, uncannily, and eerily familiar to me.
 
Thank you my friend. You know me well even though we will likely never ever meet.

I do believe that joy finds us when we most need it.

17 comments:

Prims By The Water said...

You did a fine job on this piece and your SIL also did a fine one finishing it for you. Am in awe at the lined color you chose and looks great. I recently purchased a sampler pattern and am looking forward to getting started on it. Just hope I done get bored and it becomes another WIP for me. How nice to receive the book from across the pond. I know you re in heaven reading it. Hope your weekend is going good for you. Janice

Julia said...

Receiving an unexpected gift from a blogger friend is so heartwarming and I'm so glad that a blogger friend found just the right book for you from overseas, of all places. Such a generous friend.

Your cross stitch is a real work of art and is just perfect for your gifted trinket box and in plenty of time for Halloween.

I haven't had time to hook up at all lately and I couldn't even find the time to go to our first hooking meeting.

Take care and be safe and well. Give a little hug to Mia for me.
Hugs, Julia

jabblog said...

I love your new header picture - 'three for a girl'.
Your sampler is beautiful - what a lovely way to display it.

susan hemann said...

love the ross stitch and the box!
that book is such a treasure
have a good week

acorn hollow said...

What a lovely finish for you beautiful piece. I read that book in high school I should read it again as an adult I am sure I would have a whole new perspective. Such a thoughtful gift
Cathy

Saundra said...

What a beautiful way to display your work and creativeness of your SIL. Your stitched piece is beautiful and the complimentary fabric colors are perfect.
Such a thoughtful gift from across the pond. She definitely is in sync with you. The title brought back memories of school days when we read it.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Such a beautiful finish!!! Your s-i-l is most talented...but so is the stitcher. I have only stitched on 40 count once and found it most difficult. I can't imagine stitching that on a dark linen. Yikes.
What a thoughtful gift ;-) Just perfect for you.

Nancy said...

Best gift in the World...a classic book in antique wrappings!!

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

I'm super pleased you have started the book, I knew you would hear the voices from the past. It is an old tale about doing the right thing, the Victorians so loved to preach about that but didn't always behave in the right way themselves. Hey ho.

Primitive Stars said...

Morning Robin, hope this September day finds you well…. I adore the stitchery and what a beautiful box from talented SIL, such a great way to display your cross stitch…..What a wonderful gift from a blogger friend across the pond, so thoughtful and kind. I can see you curled up enjoying a great read, I love a good book… take care, big hugs, Blessings Francine.

Farm Girl said...

What a beautiful copy of Silas Marner. It is a lovely book. Have you ever seen the movie that Steve Martin did called A Simple Twist of Fate. Its a sweet movie and it starts with Steve Martin using his skills with his magic.
The gold coins.
Your stitching is lovely. I love the finishes.
I think fall gets to your house faster than mine.
I hope you have a lovely week.

NMK said...

Wow ....what a beautiful X stitch design and so pretty to put on the neat box !!! Can't believe how fast the month of September is flying by ! A very special gift from a special friend across the sea too !!!

Heritage Hall said...

The book was one of our first assignments in freshman year of high school...how lamentable that young people today are not exposed to such fine, proven classics.The binding on yours makes it all the more a treasure. You and your SIL are a gifted
team. Beautiful production all around. I suspect that the bittersweet may be the
dimming of day's light. Light the candles.....

yaya said...

Such a beautiful sampler. Love it! What a thoughtful gift from your English blogger. A treasure for sure. So many good folks out there and it's sad we usually never meet them. Your post reminds me that we cancelled our Salem trip. We were not sure what to expect with the hurricane and storms but I'm sure the area is fine now. We decided to head there in June next year and we're going to the UP in Michigan instead. I've never been farther north that Grand Rapids or Detroit so Mackinaw city here we come on Wednesday. I guess I'm trading lobster rolls for fudge...still would rather have lobster!

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful piece and love how you set it on the box. What a nice gift to get, I have some old books that have worm holes, one was from my grandmother, a poetry reader she received as a reward in school.

Debbie

marly said...

Excellent finish, and that is the box I saw at HL and decided to purchase next visit. Love it. Never heard of that fabric dyer, beautiful color.

What a sweet thoughtful gift from your friend. Yes it does seem we are spinning our wheels while time is spinning by.

Hill Top Post said...

I am not sure how I missed this post when it was new in this quickly passing month. Your tiny stitches on 40-count linen (ouch) are divine. Back in the day, I stitched a couple of samplers from Scarlet Letter. It has been long ago that I read Silas Marner in High School. I never forgot that one.