Sunday, February 18, 2024

The Recalcitrant Grace Bridges

 Long ago, but not so very far away, 11-year old Grace Bridges was newly arrived at Willow Winds House.  She preferred to spend her days roaming the sun-dappled meadows gathering wildflowers and following the creek that meandered through the forest behind the house.
Her au pair, Miss Crowe, however, preferred that Miss Grace spend a little more time with her lessons and a great deal more attention to her stitches.


Even on days when the fog and rain closed in on Willow Winds House so oppressively that Grace could not escape the rambling yellowstone house, Grace fidgeted in her chair and struggled to count her stitches properly.  Her mind wandered to the forgotten garden with its vines tumbling over the old shed she was told to stay away from.... It wandered to the neglected fountain that sat decaying at the end of the garden path.... It wandered to the little cove where the creek spilled into the sea....  It wandered to anywhere but the needlework in her lap.


So, it was only after months of tedious frustration on both Miss Crowe's and little Grace's parts that Grace finally finished her first sampler....



Ok...so absolutely none of that is true; but, like Grace's, my mind is wandering today too.
Anyway...  I finally finished stitching Grace Bridges by Stacy Nash.  It was a stitch-along I participated in.  I think I mentioned in a previous post that stitching this piece caused a powerful struggle between my penchant for primitive wonkiness and imperfection and my tendency for bouts of OCD.  On days that my OCD was in control, complex mathematical computations were done and adjustments to spacing and design made. 

{Pattern design blurred to protect copyright of the designer, but you can see my color-coded math revision notes.}

On other days, wonky won out.


Since this was not an actual reproduction of an antique sampler (at least not that I know of), I felt entitled to make adjustments that would somewhat soothe the OCD ogre.  (Personally, I don't think even little Grace would have been that careless.  😉)



Grace Bridges Sampler stitched on 40 count "Boardwalk" by Colour and Cotton using (mostly) called-for DMC flosses.

* * * * * * *

Now Grace and I are off to look for toads along the creek.




18 comments:

marly said...

What a fabulous finish girl. Always admired this Nash and whether calculated changes or wonky imperfections, your finish is outstanding. Well done!!

jabblog said...

It is quite extraordinary that little girls could accomplish such painstaking work. For some, it would have been a real trial - not all children are dexterous.
Fascinating sampler.

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

I'm a little bit in love with your sampler. Happy toad hunting m'dear.

Saundra said...

I have never nor will I ever do tedious cross stitch samplers or otherwise. Admire your dedication to the craft whether OCD or wonky. Guess there will be an upcoming trip to the framers for this beauty.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Holy hell, woman. I hope you are writing a novel. You have such a gift.
Grace is absolutely wonderful!!! On 40 count...now I am really impressed.
xoxo

NMK said...

Love your story and the sampler is just gorgeous. !!!! Beautiful !!! I could never do this either ....it would be so Wonky with so many Boo boos !!!

Prims By The Water said...

In my opinion Grace could not have done a better job with this piece. Oh how I wish I could see to use 40 ct linen. Love the simplicity of this pattern and all of the motifs. I will need to see if this color linen comes in a larger count for my old eyes. I bought magnifying glasses and that did not work. I even bought a glass that rests on your chest...that did not work, so I gave up. Janice

yaya said...

There's no way I could stitch this beautifully! I too would be wandering to the outdoors and would find a way to explore that secret garden. Loved the story and your finished piece. You should write a novel my friend..you have the story telling talent!

Kathy Barrick said...

Love your new finish!! What a great choice to stitch wonky or not! It seems to be the perfect finish for your gorgeous home!

Kathy

Donna said...

Kathy your work is just amazing. That you for sharing.
Donna

Dicky Bird said...

Oh my I love it and the story. Please write more...

Primitive Stars said...

Morning Sweet Crow, I was spellbound reading your post, such a way with words… I adore your stitchery, wonkiness and all so you say, you are so talented in many things you do, you amaze me… I want to go toad hunting with you and Grace… Blessings Francine.

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

sweetest finish ~ love your little 'story' too ;)

oldgreymareprimitives said...

Perfection of course <3

MELODY JACOB said...

"The Recalcitrant Grace Bridges" paints a charming picture of a young girl's adventures amidst the beauty of Willow Winds House. Grace's affinity for nature and exploration contrasts with the expectations of her au pair, Miss Crowe, who prioritizes her lessons and stitching. This sets the stage for potential conflicts and growth as Grace navigates her way through her new surroundings.

READ MY NEW BLOG POST: Melody Jacob Blog

Nancy said...

Fabulous! Love that Honey Mustard house!!

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Your sampler is beautiful Robin! I am working my first large one now...hoping that outer border comes out okay!