Friday, April 26, 2024

The Keeper of the Tulips...and the Squatters

 

It's been a year and a half since I lost my best friend.
Time has only honed the wound, not softened it.
There are daily reminders of his absence.
Every day...and every night.

Spring is slowly waking here in Nod...but this year there will be no tulips blooming.

Snowdog was a great many things, not the least of which was the Keeper of the Tulips.


Even when age and illness limited his mobility, he would make his rounds making sure other critters in the kingdom of Nod knew he was still there.

And my tulips were safe.


But this year, is the second year spring he is not here, and the rabbits are running rampant.

Big ones:


Little ones:


Strangely patterned ones:


And in-between ones:


What is left of the tulips isn't pretty.


But even worse than the tulips are the "squatters."
As soon as the sun goes down and the dark settles properly in, the "noises" begin.
Loud, running, thumping sounds on top of my basement's tin ceiling that conjures movies like "Aftermath" or "Boy in the Walls," rousing the cats from their beds and bringing them sprinting down the stairs...only to retreat quickly looking thoroughly shaken.

I have had two contractors come over to "investigate" and both have told me that at the time of WWR ("When We Remodeled"), the foundations on the basement additions were not properly sealed - leaving open a literal thoroughfare to critter squatters from the outside.
However, neither contractor could actually fix the problem. 
Apparently it is a MAJOR problem and will involve a great deal of "moving" - of furniture, stuff, landscaping, etc.

I've put peppermint oil, Irish Spring soap, cayenne pepper, and chives around the foundation to no avail. (I had an owl decoy too...but it flew blew away in the last storm.)  Live traps you say? Yes, I tried that too...but for every one caught and released miles away, 2 more appear.

Initially I thought it was red squirrels who were "squatting" in my basement ceiling, but they've been relatively scarce of late, while the rabbits, well, the rabbits have been doing what rabbits do best - multiplying. (See comment above re live traps.)

This is one of the burrows under the porch that is I believe is a port of entry as every morning whatever dirt or stones I've placed there is worked around and the entry reopened and I've seen the adorable little fur things coming and going from it.


Rabbits to me are so stinking adorable....but they are really getting on my very crankiest side.

So there you have it: Another day in a (very) cranky crow's life in the merry ol' land of Nod.

Guess daffodils will have to do this year.


16 comments:

jabblog said...

Oh, dear! It's a pity rabbit contraceptives are not readily available. Strange noises are just about bearable if the cause is obvious.
Your dog really was such a beautiful boy. I know how long it takes and how hard it is to accept their passing.

Saundra said...

Our beloved 4-legged companions leave a huge hole in our hearts when they are gone. Yes those bunny rabbits are cute as the dickens and I haven't seen any in my yard yet this spring nor have I seen the usual deer. As for the deer, perhaps it's the lake throughout my woods which keeps them at bay.

Lauren said...

What a beautiful memory of beloved Snowdog.
No tulips for me, either. I assume those damn rabbits (I am not very fond of them) or maybe the damn deer (I like them even less!).
That critter issue would have me putting a for sale sign in the yard. That would totally creep me out 😖
Rugs and Pugs

Farm Girl said...

One of the things I have loved about moving here was no uninvited guests. I can go out at night and not have to scan the yard for skunks.
While in Arizona recently, the coyotes would come in the campsite and look at my dog. It was so scary to me.
So not a fan. My grand daughter loved rabbits until it ate her garden. Then it began all out war with them.
So sad about your tulips. I know how great that loss is, it took me 2 1/2 years to finally jump back in to having a dog. It has been the best thing I have done for my well being.
Mentally as well as physically. Now hooking and sewing have become impossible, but my life is better because of Polly. I know how hard it would be, but I didn't think I could do it. It also shows me how much nuttier I am because of being so in love with this dog. :)
Sorry its been so long since I visited. :)

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Hello my friend, so sorry to hear about the tulip wars. I feel a bit like a traitor saying this but I'm gonna risk all and spit it out. Maybe it's time, if there is ever going to be a time, to allow another guardian of the bulbs into your life? No replacement of course, but another furry soul that will attend you.

Heritage Hall said...

Snowdog was such a magnificent creature and companion, so one can understand the void he left...Given time, another worthy keeper of the tulips may be found to occupy the guardian role.....

Julia said...

I totally understand about missing your beautiful "Snowdog". he was more than a companion, like my son's beautiful "Blue". I never had problems with my tulips and garden until he died, then all hell broke loose with critters of all kinds in my garden destroying my tulips, crocuses, hostas, and even the vegetable garden. He kept them all at bay. Now even the coyotes have moved in where they were never been a problem. They are so brazen that they come right into the backyard.

Having critters invading the garden is annoying but even more so when they invade the home. You have all my sympathy.

I've been dealing with taxes and there never seems to be time to post on my blog.

I hope that you stay safe from those destructive tornados. I feel so sorry for the people who had their homes destroyed. It's so sad.

Take care and enjoy the little blessings that come your way.

Hugs,
Julia

marly said...

No idea what is squatting. Couldn't the contractor use expanding foam to seal any openings? One type becomes as hard as concrete. Have you tried Vicks rub? Poke holes in a few containers so the scent is strong enough but they can't come in contact with it. I use plastic and make a lot of holes but tape the lid securely. We put mothballs in a fine mesh bag on the tractor and it stopped mice from nesting in the engine. I prefer the Vicks though.

Sorry about the tulips. Yes, baby bunheads are just so adorable and delicate! 18 months already. Does it sometimes seem like so long ago, and at other times as if it was yesterday?

Prims By The Water said...

So sorry to hear the WABBITS are wreaking havoc on your tulips. I so love bunnies. Tundra did eat some last year.. Just Friday I caught him eating a baby wren while I was trying to save 2 others by putting them back in their nest. I did see mama wren yesterday so hopefully the remaining will be safe.
She builds her nest every year there. I know you miss Mason dearly. Have you thought of getting another dog? Last year I sold those same green hand vases ay=t out gift shop. They were a hit. Take care my friend. Rain yesterday. More rain today with storms predicted later. Janice

Anonymous said...

Your dog was a treasure, beautiful and faithful. Such a gift. Daffodils are a lovely option...💛🧡

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

I'm sorry to read about Snowdog...I understand how hard the loss of a sweet, four-legged friend can be. I truly do think we'll see them again...they've done no wrong and deserve only the best reward for their love.

Oh the critters...I don't see anything eating flowers or gardens here, but once upon a time raccoons found a spot around the foundation and I could hear them having raccoon races in the basement. I filled the spot with lots and lots of rocks, a heavy bag of sand, then more rocks. It's been many ages and they moved on, but it's so irritating. Hoping yours move on too!

WoolenSails said...

I have a few rabbits that like my yard, since they consider it a safe zone. Bean chases the squirrels and leaves the bunnies alone. I did have one year where they chewed off the tops of my beans, as fast as they came up, so I fenced that area in. They usually eat the tall grass on the sides and the clover.

Debbie

Jan Hebert said...

I love my rabbits - but they've been wearing out their welcome here this spring! I lost tulips and now they're chomping on the Stella-D'Oro lillies! I'm trying to rig up some kind of fence - dreaming of making one of those woven fences out of flexible branches...we shall see! My husband is rolling his eyes at me! Miss you, Robin! Jan in MA

Primitive Stars said...

Afternoon Robin, tears in my eyes as I begin to read your blog, my heart hurts for you and your heartache of missing Snowdog… .. I did not know rabbits could be so naughty going inside the basement ceiling. Squirrels yes but bunny’s, wow. Guess you need Elmer Fudd hunting wabbits, I know should not make jokes as that really is not a laughing matter. Hope there is a solution for you soon to fix the problem… .. I’m retired and a senior now, turned 65 yesterday, crap, cannot believe I’m that age but oh well I’m enjoying not working anymore…. Take care, wishing you a wonderful April, love and hugs Francine.

yaya said...

I'm not a big lover of rabbits except at Easter when they're fake! We have had some garden problems at times but I won't go into detail how it's solved but let's say the population dwindles down a bit. Snow Dog sure was a beauty. My heart goes out to you as we have had to lose a few of our dear pups over the years. My Mom had a tulip problem at her house that is still there with my sister. The squirrels would raid the tulips after they bloom. One year I was there and saw one of the rascals up a tree with a tulip blossom in it's mouth! They would just snap them off leaving the stems. Not allowed to use the solution in Chicago that we used here for the rabbits....darn it! Anyway, have a good Spring season as it's finally found Nod.

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

love my rabbits.
don't love the destructive-ness they leave behind...