Sunday, May 5, 2024

Lucy Nowlen and Robin's Rules of Wonky...

 After many years of agonizingly overthinking debating linen choices, I finally started - and finished - stitching "Lucy Nowlen."  It is an antique reproduction mourning sampler by Pineberry Lane.

{This is NOT where it will hang. It will be properly pressed and framed...eventually.  I simply tacked it here in order to be able to photograph it without attempting a ladder accident shoot.}

Most traditional mourning samplers have motifs typical of the era - tombstones, angels, willows, urns, etc.  Lucy's, however, is simply verses from an old hymn which was often sung at children's funerals.  The verses - or portions of them - also appeared on tombstones during the early to mid-19th century.
The hymn is attributed to Joel A. Knight and was published in a book of hymns in 1806.


My photos are looking very washed out...In person, the colors are somewhere in between the original and the model photo.  (I did use the called-for floss.)


Nothing is actually known about Lucy.  We can presume, however, that she was a child from the fact that the hymn was a children's song, and that she died prior to 1848 when the sampler was stitched (or finished).  It is also likely that the original sampler was stitched by a family member (I'm thinking a sister?) given the initials 'M.N." on the right side of the sampler.


I stitched mine on 36 count "Wren" by Picture this Plus.  It is worked in a variety of stitches: Algerian eyelet stitches, long-arm cross stitches, and regular cross stiches over 3, over 2, and over 1...a great MANY over 1 (all of the lower case letters from the second verse on are over 1...in addition to some in the first verse as well.

There's your history lesson....Now for Robin's Rules of Wonky....

(Not to be confused with Robert's Rules of Order....


Trust me...you don't want to confuse ANYTHING with that.  As a former elected parliamentarian, I can attest to the tediousness of Robert's Rules of Order.

For those of you lucky enough to never have had to endure membership in a society or organization requiring such antiquated rules of procedure and a parliamentarian to adjudicate the orderly conduct of meetings and business, here's a definition:

parliamentarian
ˌpär-lə-ˌmen-ˈter-ē-ən
NOUN
  1. an adherent of the parliament in opposition to the king during the English Civil War
  2. an expert in the rules and usages of a deliberative assembly (such as a parliament)
  3. a member of a parliament
 
{Hint: I was NOT involved in the English Civil War, nor am I, nor ever was I, a member of a parliament.}

And, yes, yes I do still have my worn copy of Robert's Rules of Order....someplace.)

There's your arcane trivia - and completely uncalled-for digression - for the day.

Anyhow...back to my rules of wonky.

Some of you may remember the battle between my OCD and my fondness for wonkiness while stitching my last large piece ("Grace Bridges" by Stacy Nash).  I ended up spending a great deal of time and energy correcting alphabets, adjusting spaces to suit my sense of symmetry, etc.

So...you may wonder why I would not have done the same with this piece given the numerous instances of wonkiness. The same letters are stitched differently in different words and sometimes in the same word, words in the same line of verse are stitched higher or lower than other words in the line, missed stitches in certain letters, incongruent punctuation, etc.  Most obvious of all are the errors in numbering the verses:  "2rd" (vs. "2nd") and "3th" (vs. "3rd").

And absolutely no tug of war with my OCD...because this is a reproduction of an actual antique sampler versus a sampler that was simply designed to look old.
This is the way that the stitcher - whoever she/he was - stitched it originally 176 years ago, and Wendy (a/k/a Pineberry Lane) took great pains to dissect the original and chart it exactly as it had been stitched so long ago.
I felt obliged to honor both Lucy and the stitcher of her humble sampler by following her needle paths exactly - or at least to the best of my ability.


Not that you asked...but there you have it.  My rules of wonky.

14 comments:

Saundra said...

You know your readers, who know you, and each know each other all too well. As I was reading the poem and looking at the irregular stitch sizes and English verse I wondered how you could have endured the stitching task. And damn if you didn't address it in your post. Well done Robin, well done.

Kathy Barrick said...

How happy I am to see a new post from you and what a wonderful post it is! Your sampler is amazing and I always enjoy your history lessons! I hope you are enjoying this spring of 2024. If your travels ever bring you to Maryland, I would love to meet you!

yaya said...

Now I understand why I don't do stitching! I really love the look of this piece and feel the love and sadness for the lost sibling from the words of the hymn and the stitching used. You are right to keep it authentic! I wish I had this talent but I'm glad I have the talent to enjoy it! I always learn something from you and enjoy your wonkiness...is that even a word? Have a good week Robin!

Nancy said...

Beautiful and historical...and rich in authenticity.

Betty said...

Poignant and primitive and precious. Perfectly stitched. Those rules of order always made me tighten up inside and invisibly roll my eyes.

NMK said...

Just a Beautiful sampler and all those different stitches ...I Love wonky ! It is just wonderful !

Julia said...

I'm guilty of not posting lately and even for a long time. Life has been too busy for me.
Saundra is right on the ball with her comment, lol...
The sampler may be a bit wonky but it's still beautiful and with a bit of history lesson too. It looks like it must have been quite a challenge with so many small stitches. You know a lot more about the stitches than I do. I just make Xs, lol.

Take care, hugs.
Julia

marly said...

Geez. I have visited her site and ordered several times, but do not recall seeing this. Lucy's sampler could be nothing but wonky. It's perfect as is and her charm would be lost if structured and proper. Hanging by pins with a few wrinkles ... wonderful.

Prims By The Water said...

I have never heard of a mourning sampler and am so glad you did this post. Being such a wonky stitch I can see why this one would be a challenge. Not sure if I could have finished it myself...especially the over ones involved. You did an amazing job with this piece. Janice

Rugs and Pugs said...

You honored Lucy! Good job. Sounds like a hard one to stitch...over 3, over 2, over 1.
I always enjoy your trivia. Your knowledge simply amazes me ;-)

Edgar said...

What a wonderful finish.... love the verses!!! Congrats!

Lori from Notforgotten Farm said...

absolutely love that gorgeous sampler...
in all it's perfect-wonkiness.
L

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

I think wonky and perfectly imperfect should be celebrated, anything that makes us think about hand crafted items now and historically is a good thing. The verses stitched on the samplers are so moving. Years ago I had to choose a verse for a baby's grave stone. I thought this sweet and comforting. 'Here she lies a little bud, lately made of flesh and blood, who as soon fell fast asleep, as her little eyes did peep.'

Primitive Stars said...

Hello Robin, hope this day finds you well… I love the sampler, don’t see wonky just beautiful stitching… I never heard of a mourning sampler, the verses are touching, you really did Lucy justice.. Blessings Francine.