Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Early Birds, Red Birds, Strawberries and Peaches....

Although I feel as though I am living inside a whirlwind, there is not much blog-worthy going on here in Nod.  I'm certain no one cares to read about tedious (and endless) paperwork, gravestone selections, appraisals, remodel snafus and delays, legal dilemmas, Rajah's ride in the dryer, or the Great Rabbit Invasion of Nod.
However, on the happy side of the road, I am planning my second annual trip to Country Sampler in Spring Green for an unnecessary stash-enhancement spree a stitching retreat (of sorts) this weekend and wanted to post before leaving as who knows when I will be back to sorts enough to post when I return.

So...onto Early Birds:

After almost a year of having completed the hooking on "Early Bird" (a design by Lori Brechlin of Notforgotten Farm), I finally got it bound.


The photo above is a bit dark, the one below a bit light...so imagine the colors somewhere in between. (The upper and lower background wool is actually a rich dark, blackish, brown, not black as it is showing.) I could not get one that was "just right" as it seems we've entered into the rainy season here.


The photo below shows the colors probably most accurately, although it is lying kittywampus across a chair:


And, red birds:

These cardinals have a nest out front.  Something about their faces make me think they look cranky, but they really are such playful, happy, things.



I've been in a baking/cooking slump.  It seems so depressing cooking/baking the way I am used to and used to do, when there's just me.  (Yes, I know...freeze smaller portions, etc....I do, but it's not the same and just doesn't seem worth the effort.)

Adding to my quandary, like in other aspects of my life I tend to get into ruts.  Sometimes it's salads, other times pasta, etc.  The fad of the week for me is strawberries.

Today's strawberry de jour is strawberry soup:


Although I'm not a particularly huge strawberry fan generally, there are times I could eat this by the gallons. This is one of those times.

Lastly, since I haven't done a book report/review in a while, for those few who are interested, here you go:

Go as a River by Shelley Read...


This is Ms. Read's debut novel and I have no idea what drew me to it, but I am glad I chose it.  The book was inspired by the true events surrounding the destruction of the small town of Iola, Colorado, by the intentional flooding of the Gunnison River.  The protagonist is a resident who struggles to run the (dysfunctional) family household following her mother's untimely death in a tragic accident.
It is a tale of love, prejudice, isolation, and resilience...and learning to go as a river - flowing and moving forward even when dammed.

...and peaches.  Yes, it's about peaches too.  😉🍑

I'm hoping all is well with all of you.
To those of you who faithfully visit and comment - and those who even only stop by on occasion - thank you. 
You make my world so very much brighter.


18 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh lucky you to be going to Country Sampler. Color me jealous!
Well, missy. I don’t ever want to hear about my perfect loops again. Yours look even more perfect.
And that strawberry pie looks absolutely sinful.
Safe travels and PLEASE, we would love to hear all about it.
Rugs and Pugs ♥️

Saundra said...

Rajah's DRYER ride WTH? Poor Rajah must have been frantic and discombobulated when he got out.
I've never had strawberry soup but I am enjoying my strawberry snacks lately too.
For the life of me I don't even recall seeing you show us a picture of Early Bird in progress. You have perfect hooking so ditto what Lauren said.

jabblog said...

Strawberry soup sounds intriguing. I love strawberries just as they come, but they 're not coming very fast in my garden! Enjoy your spree!

Linda said...

I am always happy when I see you have a new post. I love your writing style.
And you are so wrong...I would love to hear about Rajahs dryer ride.
That strawberry soup is so pretty. Now I'm going to have to make it.
Enjoy your stitching getaway!

JustGail said...

As with asparagus & tomatoes, strawberries are best eaten with abandon while in season. *Especially* if you can get locally grown. I don't know that I've heard of strawberry soup though? Sounds like a wonderful thing to have after a day of dealing with not-fun life crap.

"I'm certain no one cares to read about tedious (and endless)..." Speaking for myself, you're wrong about this. IMHO, not wanting all your business out there is a valid reason not to post about those things. Thinking we don't care - not so much.

Fantastic news on the stash-enhancement spree & retreat! I hope you have a super time.

Prims By The Water said...

Oh how I wish I could jump in your suitcase and tag along to Country Sampler. One of these days I would like to travel to Wisconsin and visit that store and even you in person. Have fun my friend! Early bird looks good. I finally bound one of my rugs and will do a post soon on it. I love listening to the cardinals here and I even have their song down pat and I whistle back at them and they do the sane. Janice

NMK said...

Love your pretty hooked Robin !!! Going to the Country Sampler should really stir your imagination and MoJo !!! Have a Wonderful time !!! Find some beautiful things to create !!!

Julia said...

Dear Robin, I love to read about all that goes on in your life. The good, the bad the ugly, and all in between. Please elaborate on Ragah's dryer ride. I hope he ok, the poor thing...

I always get excited when I see a post from you. I've been dealing with a lot of the same stuff as you so I understand. Sometimes, I'm just too tired to post but I like to keep in touch with my faithful followers and friends.

I've been working in the heat in the garden all day and I watered the garden plants, as there was no mention of rain in the forecast but right now, it pouring rain outside. All that work for nothing...

You're lucky to have resident Cardinals, but not so lucky to have rabbits, though.

Good for you for treating yourself. I'm anxious to see what you are working on next. Early Bird is hooked to perfection.


Take care of yourself.
Hugs, Julia




acorn hollow said...

I am so sorry you are stuck in this struggle of many sorts. It makes life chaotic and unsettling. And then to see the rabbits eat your gardens ugg. I think I told you to use garlic power they don't like it but if you have extensive gardens you may need the large bottle.
I am so very pleased to hear you are headed to a retreat! It is good for the soul to be away and with others now and then.
Strawberry soup hmmm sound good. I love strawberries in season they are sweet and tasty and are great with my rhubarb.
I have been stuck home gardening gardening and gardening. With a banana bread thrown in. I do agree cooking and baking for one is not much fun so invite a friend or neighbor over for lunch. (I am a problem solver yikes)
hugs
Cathy

yaya said...

Oh Robin, I wish I could come over to Nod and make you laugh! I love those cardinals. We have many here who reside in the many pine trees. I love photographing them in the winter against the white snow. I love your stitching and going to a retreat sounds great and I'm assuming the Country Sampler is the same as the magazine? (which I love) You have a ton on your plate but I hope you enjoy your time away and will blog about your adventures. I also wanted to say I love Wisconsin and I probably never told you we had a very sweet cottage in a small town called "Trevor" when I was growing up. It was on a lake there and my Dad bought it for my Grandparents to live in and for us as a family to go and enjoy the lake. It wasn't that far from Chicago and I loved it. Anyway, take care dear friend!

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Oh the ups and downs of getting 'stuff' done. I too get very bored with cooking, especially the evening meal. I do try and mix things up but there is always the risk of trying something new, only to find it's not as nice as my 'usual' meals. When the Mr is away I tend not to cook and just have a small plate of something tasty, and perhaps a glass of wine to wash it down. I also stay up late, but that's another story. I have developed a passion for strawberries in the last few weeks, served with a big dollop of thick and creamy yoghurt and sometimes a few walnuts and a tiny drizzle of honey. Very yum.

Betty said...

Prettiest soup I've ever seen though never slurped. I stocked up on berries yesterday so maybe I'll research that one.
A stitching gathering is always a nice thing to look forward to. Have a blast.

I'm on the wait list for that book. Thanks for sharing it all.

I have a story about Omar's dryer ride oh and your Early Bird looks pretty darn perfect! Betty

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

That hooking is a piece of art - so lovely! A ride in the dryer...we have to hear about that!! And I understand, sometimes there's really nothing in my corner of the world that's blog-worthy...just the usual ups & downs. But we never know...what we're posting may just be what someone needs to hear. When my son was graduating from high school it made me sad...so many up & down emotions. A blogger shared some wise words with me...and I've passed those words on to other moms who've felt as I did. It was just what I needed to hear when I needed it most. Sadly, she no longer posts, and I understand, it can be just one more thing to try and squeeze into a busy day...I just wonder what else I may have learned from her. So you just never know who you may lift up with your post!

Trace4J said...

I love to stop by..I don’t always comment but I do always pray for you friend and send you a giant hug.
I love your beautiful rug. I and your yummy soup looks soo good.
Sending more hugs and lots of love
Trace (Granny Trace)

Primitive Stars said...

Evening Robin, oh I love my visits with you, makes my heart happy…..speaking of happy that wonderful you are going to the Country Sampler retreat, that would be fun though I’m no hooker. I adore the rug with the Robin ,Early Bird, so sweet… we do not have Cardinals here so I do enjoy seeing when I can…. ..We have been spending all our time at camp, home for a few days then back. I love it so, just porch sitting, birdwatching and campfires make bring me joy. Also tending my little flower garden that I miss so much at the other home. I’m making it much like a cottage garden with many plants tucked in here and there plus the rose I planted when mama passed 4 years ago. It’s about to bloom and I find myself chatting with it and encouraging the buds…….Take care sweet friend, you are in my thoughts often and heart… Blessings Francine.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the catch up. I love the Early Bird.
We have about a week before our strawberry fields open for picking. I have been freezing and baking with rhubarb from out back. A month ago we bought a small bungalow on a small plot that was planted with perennials and hawthorns.

Anonymous said...

The above was Kimm sheepunderfeet

My Colonial Home said...

I haven't been to Country Sampler in years! Guess it's time for a trip west for us.
Wow, who isn't crazy over strawberries lol The soup sounds delicious...might have to find a recipe.

Blessings
Karen