Monday, May 27, 2024

Lest We Forget....

 

Memorial Day...f/k/a Decoration Day is a humbling and solemn day, recognizing and remembering those who died in service.  (Veteran's Day...in November...typically recognizes all those who have served or are now serving in the military, as well as their families.)

The "holiday" was originally initiated to honor the massive casualties of the Civil War.  After becoming embroiled in the conflict of WW1, however, Memorial Day, as it came to be known, the day evolved to honor those who died in all wars.

The above poem, "In Flanders Fields," was written by Lt. Col. John McCrae, a Canadian physician and poet after presiding over the funeral of his friend who died in battle during WWI.

My grandfather, John Peter Paul Clausen (yes, that's all one person), did not die in war, but he did serve in WWI.  I never met either of my paternal grandparents, my grandfather having died at 43 in a tragic accident and my grandmother, Emma, at age 44.


   He looks no more than a child as did/do so many.


I did not make it to the cemeteries today as the rain moved in quicker than anticipated (Camelot it's not), but I will go tomorrow.

I hope amid the "holiday" celebrations, there is time to remember and reflect.

11 comments:

Saundra said...

I did know my paternal grandfather who served in WWI and learned much about his time in the military and after. MY maternal grandfather was in the Coast Guard and really don't know if he was guarding the waters off our shore in DE/MD or elsewhere as he never spoke about it.
Nice remembrance for all who served and gave their lives.

jabblog said...

I hope it's not subsumed into a day to barbecue and have fun. That happens too often.

Shrimpton and Perfect said...

Very thoughtful post Robin. My Grandfather and Father served in the wars. Bloody awful that so many were killed fighting for what they believed was right and would make a difference. Their loss is still felt today through their families. I never managed to meet any of my Grandparents, such a shame, but hopefully one day I will become a Grandmother myself.

Rugs and Pugs said...

JPPC does look like a child. When I see pictures of the bomber pilots from WWII, it just amazes me that they were just boys like your grandfather was is WWI. I hope we never need to depend on today's youth.
Your header picture is simply beautiful.

NMK said...

A lovely post

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

It’s good to pause and remember what the day is really for - my son played Taps one year from the front porch - it was a perfect way to mark the day as the music floated over the fields. I often wonder if anyone far off could hear it Thank you for the reminder that it’s not all about cookouts and the pool…

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Little more than a baby is right, how young he looks and to be faced with the horrible realities of war. I reflected all day on all tthose that have gone to face such horrible realities to fight for our ideals and liberty. Then I reflected on the world’s inhabitants and how much is taken for granted, how much history has been glossed over or buried so no one is offended. History repeats, if we don’t objectively look at the past and learn from past mistakes. Sometimes it is easy to get melancholy. Then I said a rosary in honor of those lost and for those who remain to open their eyes and be thankful that they can enjoy the freedoms that was won for them on the backs of others who actually had pride for their country.

marly said...

I know so little about grandparents and the families they left behind. What a treasure that photo is.

Julia said...

Such a thoughtful post. I echo Lauren's comment. I'm sure that we would be in great trouble if we had to depend on today's youth to defend us.

May we never forget the sacrifices these brave men endured for our freedom. God bles them all.
Hugs, Julia

yaya said...

I try to get to the parade and cemetery to honor those who sacrificed so much. I did make the cemetery but not the parade this year. My Dad served in WWII and drove a Sherman Tank and fought for 3yrs. My brothers were in Vietnam at the same time. Thankfully both made it home safe. My brother Greg got kidney problems and had to have a transplant due to his exposure to Agent Orange. So many gave so much for this country. I do hope we never forget and always are grateful. Take car Robin!

Primitive Stars said...

Morning Robin, heartfelt post. Hope all well with you sweet friend… wishing you a happy June, Blessings Francine.